Jesse Williams Signed to a new deal (Official Per Condotta)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Now let's see if he can play in an actual NFL game.

I am not convinced his knees will ever hold up. And if he takes the roster spot of another promising young DT, and then gets hurt Week 1 and goes on IR...that will suck.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkFan72":x915u58v said:
Now let's see if he can play in an actual NFL game.

I am not convinced his knees will ever hold up. And if he takes the roster spot of another promising young DT, and then gets hurt Week 1 and goes on IR...that will suck.

Always a possibility, but for now he has to make it past all the 90 man roster cutdowns.

This basically makes him a camp body.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the news.

I am glad they gave him another chance. It can't hurt. He was a long time starter at 'Bama. Maybe he can put it together and stay healthy this year? I know, not likely, but maybe.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Just wanted to give some props where they're due. Kudos to Wolfepack for the scoop on this signing days before it happened. Here's the thread on Williams getting waived...

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=109215

Thanks for sharing the scoop, Wolfepack, it's greatly appreciated!

With all the rumor threads and such on .Net over the years, this might be one of the more accurate scoops in site history. Nicely done, Wolfepack! :th2thumbs:

:thirishdrinkers:

Oh, and cool for Jesse. Glad to have him back! Hopefully he can prove all the doubters wrong, stay healthy, and cash in on some of his potential! Everybody wins in that scenario.

Largent80

Reaction score
Everyone deserves more than one chance. However, the world has turned into "what have you done for me lately"...

Hyak

Reaction score
Until he actually plays a down, meh. Anything they get from him is a bonus.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't get it. This makes Williams a RFA in 2016. If Williams plays well, he could be looking at a $2.5 million salary in 2016 instead of the ~0.5 million he would have made on his rookie deal.

Oh well. I'm not going to waste time worrying about a player's future salary when he's a long shot to make the 53. It does seem needlessly dumb though.

Largent80

Reaction score
To me, he is camp fodder until proven otherwise and he has an incredible uphill climb.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":3qbitedv said:
I don't get it. This makes Williams a RFA in 2016. If Williams plays well, he could be looking at a $2.5 million salary in 2016 instead of the ~0.5 million he would have made on his rookie deal.

Oh well. I'm not going to waste time worrying about a player's future salary when he's a long shot to make the 53. It does seem needlessly dumb though.

Yeh, I've been trying to work this out too. The only thing I can think of is that we're trying to light a fire up his ass and get some decent play from him in what's essentially become a contract year. Seems like he's been pretty casual about it all and spending plenty of time in Oz over the last couple of years (which we've allowed). Stakes are now much higher.

Jville

Reaction score
They are able to write off the balance of his original signing bonus this year. They have a history of accelerating the write offs of signing bonuses when the opportunity presents itself.

By clearing wavers, an updated market value is implied.

Given that Jesse didn't make the final cut in previous years, I would think he would be an exclusive rights free agent in 2016 .... if all goes well.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I was wondering if the team was going to bring him back on re-worked deal. Glad to hear he's going to get one last shot, he seems like he could be a good rotational guy from his college days if he could stay healthy, but that's a big IF at this point in his nonexsistent NFL career.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Largent80":svuetslr said:
Everyone deserves more than one chance. However, the world has turned into "what have you done for me lately"...

What has he done lately, or ever, in the NFL?

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1rxiwty9 said:
Largent80":1rxiwty9 said:

What has he done lately, or ever, in the NFL?

Enough to be on a 90 man roster.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
kearly":39lroapm said:
Not true. He would become an exclusive rights free agent, as a player whose contract has expired and who has three or fewer accrued years in the league. He would only be able to negotiate with the Hawks, who would only have to make him a 3rd-year-veteran-minimum contract offer to fully retain his rights.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
pre season casualty...if he even makes it out of camp without a season ending injury...nothing to tget excited about imo

Bprez3

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ThaMonstar/status/577663062708068352[/tweet]

Stop the presses

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Bprez3":3qr6fg3q said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ThaMonstar/status/577663062708068352[/tweet]

Stop the presses

There's always gotta be twists!