Split out TE

HawkGA

Reaction score
Question for those more familiar with formations and what not than I am. When Graham lines up as a wide receiver, what position does he line up in and who normally lines up there? Would he be considered to be in the slot?

saroos

Reaction score
He lines up wherever the matchup presents itself. He will line up in the slot, or at the X, or the Z position.

swagcity21

Reaction score
I haven't watched a lot of tape on JG yet. But a guy with his size when lined up outside would start out at X or Z in the Red zone. If his match up is favorable he would stay there and run and option "tree" route.

I see him lining up in a traditional TE spot and motioning out to a split end once the defense is set and he can exploit the personnel on defense.

Imagine Luke willson lined up in the slot and JG lined up at TE and the motioning out to split end on the other side, maybe even running rub routes off of each other. oh the possibilities!!!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
In Carroll's offensive scheme, his skill set is probably best suited to split end -- outside on the line of scrimmage where he will draw double teams but will still be open for quick hitters. And he is more likely to be effective as a blocker outside against a DB than inside against a DL.

This is the position manned primarily by Golden Tate in 2013 and Doug Baldwin last season. In addition, it would allow Baldwin to move back to his more natural flanker position in the base offense. Baldwin will be a beneficiary of more single coverage and more space to get off the line of scrimmage at flanker and in the slot.

As others have said, he has proven that he can wreak havoc when moved all over the field (and especially in the slot) but I think SE is his most natural position in the base offense. The possibilities are extremely exciting.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I imagine we will move him around quite a lot. You need at least 7 on the line and only the outside most are eligible receivers, but that still allows a lot of flexibility. I imagine our favorite formation will be 12 personnel with Willson and Graham on the line, Kearse and Baldwin on opposite sides as either Flankers or Slot (depending on if they are outside of the TE or inside), and Lynch alone in the backfield. That should be a brutally effective RO formation.

original poster

Reaction score
AgentDib":14k5utxb said:
I imagine we will move him around quite a lot. You need at least 7 on the line and only the outside most are eligible receivers, but that still allows a lot of flexibility. I imagine our favorite formation will be 12 personnel with Willson and Graham on the line, Kearse and Baldwin on opposite sides as either Flankers or Slot (depending on if they are outside of the TE or inside), and Lynch alone in the backfield. That should be a brutally effective RO formation.

I simply can't see this not working, I can't wait to see how it pans out and develops as a unit.

Ozzy

Reaction score
A little off topic but I'm excited to see Willson and Graham on the field at the same time and how they will be utilized when on the field together. While Bevell has been rightly criticized he is creative and can put together some interesting looks. Should be fun and WIlson will have his best statistical year to date.

original poster

Reaction score
austinslater25":2n9kqykp said:
A little off topic but I'm excited to see Willson and Graham on the field at the same time and how they will be utilized when on the field together. While Bevell has been rightly criticized he is creative and can put together some interesting looks. Should be fun and WIlson will have his best statistical year to date.

I agree, I cannot wait to hear how the two get on at Russell's unofficial training camp in CA coming up!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Graham is basically a very over-sized slot receiver.

Absolutely agreed with HawkNation about how he'll be used.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Honestly Id imagine he'll be doing a lot of what Gronkowksi did to us in the SB. When he was lined up next to the line, then goes into motion out wide and exploits the single LB coverage.