What's up with Bennett, Mebane?

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
I hear the trade rumor about Bennett, and since nothing, then we sign the DT from the Browns, heard Clayton say likely Bane gone if he won't restructure...since nothing is this all just BS, haven't seen any updates??? Just asking!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The Bennett rumor was false. Mebane either restructures or he is cut IMHO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We'll see on Mebane as I suspect the Rubin acquisition is more of a hedge against 'Bane's total recovery from his torn hamstring than a negotiation ploy. Mebane is a 2016 comp pick eligible player after this season as is McDaniel and I don't see either being cut summarily. Besides, when healthy, Mebane is an interior force to be reckoned with.

original poster

Reaction score
As has been said, Bennett was rubbish and I beleive Mebane will accept a restructure, personally.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Can someone explain the logic behind cutting Mebane? Please don't say "he's owed 5.5million" because FA is basically over and Hawks have enough in current cap space for Wilson, Wagner and the draft. So what will the 5.5 be needed for? Especially considering how much this team loves draft picks, Mebane could net us a decent compensatory pick next year if he's kept.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3ijuinw8 said:
Can someone explain the logic behind cutting Mebane? Please don't say "he's owed 5.5million" because FA is basically over and Hawks have enough in current cap space for Wilson, Wagner and the draft. So what will the 5.5 be needed for? Especially considering how much this team loves draft picks, Mebane could net us a decent compensatory pick next year if he's kept.
That is just what is being said.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
One could argue that this cap space could be rolled into next year or used in structuring a contract for Wilson in such a way that you are essentially rolling it into 2017, or 2018 (pay additional 5mill this year and subtract 5 mill from the contract in the year you want the additional cap space).

I think it is a spectacularly bad argument for dealing with Mebane's contract, but it is an argument. I'm sure that J.S. P.C. will calculate a value for Mebane and will keep him if they can agree on a contract to match it. I can't imagine them paying more than their calculated value just so they might get a comp pick in 2017.

- bsd

kearly

Reaction score
If Seattle wanted to restructure Mebane, the best time to do so would have been a couple weeks ago while Pot Roast and Wilfork were still available. RIght now, if they cut Mebane and lose him, we'd have a glaring problem at the 1 tech.

I think a much more logical process would be to draft a big DT this year and hope he can replace Mebane in 2016. Mebane is a free agent after this next season, cutting him now would mean losing a comp pick of some kind in the future.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
kearly":o2k0apgx said:
If Seattle wanted to restructure Mebane, the best time to do so would have been a couple weeks ago while Pot Roast and Wilfork were still available. RIght now, if they cut Mebane and lose him, we'd have a glaring problem at the 1 tech.

I think a much more logical process would be to draft a big DT this year and hope he can replace Mebane in 2016. Mebane is a free agent after this next season, cutting him now would mean losing a comp pick of some kind in the future.

Except, and only if you are lucky would you find someone decent enough at that position in that late of the 2nd round.
I'd rather cut some mediocre receiver than pick apart our DL.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Bobblehead":354qt3v8 said:
kearly":354qt3v8 said:

Except, and only if you are lucky would you find someone decent enough at that position in that late of the 2nd round.

Maybe we can wait until the third round....say the 85th pick, maybe?

grizbob

Reaction score
Haven't you heard? They're waiting to see what .net wants. At least that's what hawkstoosureofhimself thinks ;)

Hawks46

Reaction score
Bobblehead":358g9ww5 said:
kearly":358g9ww5 said:

I'd rather cut some mediocre receiver than pick apart our DL.

Well, we got Mebane in the 3rd and some draft analysts felt we over drafted him there.

Rubin is a comparable DT the last 4 years, and he was drafted in the 6th round.

1 gap NT's aren't terribly difficult to find. Run stuffing 3 tech DT's that can get elite penetration are what is coveted and usually go in the 1st round. We could replace Mebane in the draft without too much difficulty (depending on the draft of course, but we're pretty well positioned to pick up interior OL and DL in this draft).

That said, for 5.5 million, I think it's hard to find someone that help us win more than Mebane at his price. I also think the Rubin hire was more for injury backup than leverage with Mebane, like someone said above. If we were signing Rubin to get Mebane to restructure, we would've given Rubin a longer contract than 1 year. Now we're needed to negotiate with both of them next year if we want them.

drewjov11

Reaction score
A few years ago, I was a little down on mebane's impact. In 2013, he was an underated beast. Last year he was injured. If he is healthy you hang on to him. HIs equal is NOT walking through that door this coming season. If he's willing to restructure, bonus. But seriously, this talk is all about salary cap room and guess what? Our franchise handles that better than most. Tjey are in n danger of going over the cap this season. They aren't likely to find an impact player now, so save that money and roll it over for next season when Russell and bobby should be getting extended. Brandon is a really good player as long as he comes back 100%.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
kearly":1g7cr0gh said:

Exactly, and while I can't see them paying more than their calculated value just for the comp, I can see them paying it bacause there isn't a viable replacement available. With the major free agent replacements now off the market, and barring another out of the blue trade, I can see us overpaying his calculated value.

-bsd

HawkFan72

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TerryBlountESPN/status/580116539682254848[/tweet]

It pretty much was dead already, but just another confirmation that is was all crap.