RW prepping as if he's playing out his rookie contract

jblaze

Reaction score
Article by Jason LaCanfora.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... al-in-2015

Tweet

DAVIS HSU retweeted
Sam HawkBadger ‏@hwkbgr 11m11 minutes ago

RT @JasonLaCanfora: Russell Wilson prepping as if he's playing out his rookie deal in 2015

Lots of speculation on Jason's part but this kind of flies in the face of other reports I've read about them being close on a deal.

Another head scratcher that just came out in twitter is that Irsay say that they won't address Luck's contract this offseason and that they will wait til next year. Luck's situation is a bit different though as the Colts have the team 5th year option to work with while Seattle does not with RW.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If the they can't work out a deal that is favorable for this season, it would be best to let Wilson play out his rookie deal and just franchise him him next year until they can negotiate a new contract. That would free up a lot of room to get Wagner locked up and do a few other moves this season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jblaze":piudujpv said:

Tweet

DAVIS HSU retweeted

RT @JasonLaCanfora: Russell Wilson prepping as if he's playing out his rookie deal in 2015

Lots of speculation on Jason's part but this kind of flies in the face of other reports I've read about them being close on a deal.

Another head scratcher that just came out in twitter is that Irsay say that they won't address Luck's contract this offseason and that they will wait til next year. Luck's situation is a bit different though as the Colts have the team 5th year option to work with while Seattle does not with RW.

Yeah, the Colts have that extra time since he was a first round pick. I especially like this quote from the article:

He's preparing and budgeting as if he'll still be on a bargain deal, and will be ready to play it out if need be.

The man makes millions of dollars in endorsements. I seriously doubt budgeting around his actual contract is an issue he needs to put too much thought into. At this point, his football contract is more like pocket money compared to his endorsement checks.

I still don't see this changing anything. They'll get the deal done in due time. There really is no rush.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
LOL true. In this instance budgeting probably means having to hold off on buying that 15 million dollar house.

First world (NFL) problems...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
As long as Wilson gets his deal done before Luck, I'm not going to worry. Luck is going to sign for a ton of money, and Wilson will have every reason to ask for just as much, if not more, than Luck based on what he has accomplished in 3 years.

I'm hoping the Wilson deal is done before Luck just so we don't even have to worry about it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
New Richard Sherman contract didn't get announced until last May. Not really concerned in the slightest.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Yeah I don't really care one way or the other. If we postpone it, it gives us more this year to go get someone else but it adds some risk on both sides. The exclusive franchise tag next year will probably be north of 20m after another contract or two this offseason so it'll be spendy but around what we'd pay him anyways although it'd be a fully salary cap hit instead of a cheap year 1 cap (like 8m).

Either way, it works for me as long as it remains a priority for both of them and it doesn't cost us Wagner which it won't. If we do push RW back a year, we have to get Wags done now.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
kidhawk":12i4cwcy said:
jblaze":12i4cwcy said:

Tweet

DAVIS HSU retweeted

Yeah, the Colts have that extra time since he was a first round pick. I especially like this quote from the article:

He's preparing and budgeting as if he'll still be on a bargain deal, and will be ready to play it out if need be.

The man makes millions of dollars in endorsements. I seriously doubt budgeting around his actual contract is an issue he needs to put too much thought into. At this point, his football contract is more like pocket money compared to his endorsement checks.

I still don't see this changing anything. They'll get the deal done in due time. There really is no rush.

Does he really make millions in endorsements though? I have only seen him do some Airline and Surface commercials. I am not sure that those are just local ads either. I think waiting for him to play out his rookie deal is a mistake.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Mike 4G":1ja99473 said:
Does he really make millions in endorsements though? I have only seen him do some Airline and Surface commercials. I am not sure that those are just local ads either. I think waiting for him to play out his rookie deal is a mistake.

[urltargetblank]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2014/10/09/russell-wilson-marketing-potential-face-of-the-nfl/17007159/[/urltargetblank]

Rodgers declined to give specific dollar figures for Wilson's off-field endeavors, but said his client is "very competitive" with the upper echelon of NFL players when it comes to endorsement deals. Sports marketing expert Bob Dorfman, executive creative director of Baker St. Advertising in San Francisco, analyzes athletes' marketing potential and said he would expect Wilson's 2014 endorsement earnings to be in the $5 million to $7 million range, behind Manning, Brees, Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

"I'd put him in the top five, and climbing. I don't think anyone is climbing as fast as he is," Dorfman said. "The other big thing about him — only negative thing about him personally is the divorce; and who knows, that might end up helping him, (he) becomes more of a sex symbol, if it makes him more attractive because he's available. He's big on God and seems to be clean living and all of that, and right now, that is so important."

With that said, The Seahawks aren't waiting for him to play out his rookie contract. Schneider has already said there's an offer on the table. I don't see any way a deal doesn't get done this off season. I doubt it gets done for awhile, so we'll have to continue to wade through tons of speculation. I would expect to see something done between shortly after the draft and Training camp.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Either we wait and get cheap this year (1.5m) and franchise tag (20m), total of 21.5m for two years which is cheap.

Or we sign him to a new contract now (8m cap hit year 1) and likely around 14m cap hit year two which is 22m for two years which is still cheap cap wise.

Or you can wait and get cheap this year (1.5m) then do a deal next year with first year cap hit of around 9m let's say, then you've got two years at 10.5m. That would be ideal for the team but risky.

If RW bets on himself and does well again this year, he's going to be asking for more for sure and with the Luck/Eli/Big Ben/Rivers contracts coming up PLUS the salary cap going up another 8-10m next year, it'd be a lot more salary cap room and more APY for contracts at that point.

kearly

Reaction score
A deal will happen. It would be incredibly stupid not to.

First off, you could extend both Wilson and Wagner today and theoretically not even change their 2015 cap numbers. More realistically, you'd have to give both guys some signing bonus money, but Wilson's signing bonus might be a $7 million cap hit this year and maybe $3 million this year for Wagner. Those numbers are so small because the bonus is spread out over 4-5 years.

So it absolutely can be done, and it would be silly to wait. Next year the cap will be even higher and average salaries will rise accordingly. Whatever Wilson or Wagner cost right now, they will cost ~10% more this time next year. Not only would the pricetag be cheaper if they signed now, but Seattle could use these players' final low cost year to help spread the cap hit.

It's going to happen. If it doesn't, I would consider it a rare case of incompetence from our FO. But 99.999999% chance it happens. Probably in April or May.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Basis4day":3egh84tb said:
New Richard Sherman contract didn't get announced until last May. Not really concerned in the slightest.

Also

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/580118846574501888[/tweet]

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
kidhawk":3690ex1s said:

I agree. RW has his "head screwed on straight". Anyone who spends a day out of each week visiting kids in the hospital shows me that money is not his priority in life. He is probably making more money right now than he can reasonably spend on himself and likely gives a good share of it away. It's been my observation that it is the folk who do not have money that are concerned that Russell will not get his "fair share".

Mike 4G

Reaction score
kidhawk":2i9nt143 said:
Mike 4G":2i9nt143 said:

[urltargetblank]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2014/10/09/russell-wilson-marketing-potential-face-of-the-nfl/17007159/[/urltargetblank]

Rodgers declined to give specific dollar figures for Wilson's off-field endeavors, but said his client is "very competitive" with the upper echelon of NFL players when it comes to endorsement deals. Sports marketing expert Bob Dorfman, executive creative director of Baker St. Advertising in San Francisco, analyzes athletes' marketing potential and said he would expect Wilson's 2014 endorsement earnings to be in the $5 million to $7 million range, behind Manning, Brees, Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

"I'd put him in the top five, and climbing. I don't think anyone is climbing as fast as he is," Dorfman said. "The other big thing about him — only negative thing about him personally is the divorce; and who knows, that might end up helping him, (he) becomes more of a sex symbol, if it makes him more attractive because he's available. He's big on God and seems to be clean living and all of that, and right now, that is so important."

With that said, The Seahawks aren't waiting for him to play out his rookie contract. Schneider has already said there's an offer on the table. I don't see any way a deal doesn't get done this off season. I doubt it gets done for awhile, so we'll have to continue to wade through tons of speculation. I would expect to see something done between shortly after the draft and Training camp.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
I agree, it'll get done but they haven't gotten serious about it yet. Their deadline is usually the draft as they've already got their board setup and the first wave of free agency is over. Between now and the end of April is when they work on extensions.

original poster

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":3dn5w8uk said:
Not sure if brought up but anyone think he's dragging his legs on signing anything until divorce is final?

I thought it was?

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
original poster":vfwvm0mo said:
Seahawks4life":vfwvm0mo said:
Not sure if brought up but anyone think he's dragging his legs on signing anything until divorce is final?

I thought it was?

I could be wrong it may be final, just saw a video a day or 2 ago which said he was still in process of finalizing divorce while they speculated if he is dating that SI model Samantha Hoopes.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Something just is not right with that article. Both Clayton and Blount have indicated that a deal was well in the works and could be done soon. Or at least that's what I got from interviews they gave.