Will Robert Turbin be a Seahawk in 2016?

kearly

Reaction score
Will he get a 2nd contract here?

He'll probably be dirt cheap in FA. If CJ Spiller is worth $4.5 million AYP and Knowshon Moreno got a one year deal for $3 million, it stands to reason that Turbin is probably going to be near the vet minimum.

He protects the football and puts a lot of effort into his blocking. He's an organizational soldier type. Coaches love players like these and would prefer to keep them around.

I don't really buy Turbin as a #1 RB, but as a #2 RB he's a good fit for Pete Carroll. I think unless Michael or a draft pick really step up this next preseason, Turbin is probably going to be our #2 back long term.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Interesting thought.

I suppose he could be the Hawks "Kevin Faulk", long-term reliable company man.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves to get more carries somewhere else. Of course it all depends on if Lynch comes back in 2016. A Seahawks coach told me that Turbin and Michael "know their roles, but they both believe they could be the #1 guy. They want to have Marshawn's job."

original poster

Reaction score
I think he's always going to be a number 2 to be honest.

I'd have no problem drafting an RB early to learn from Lynch.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
original poster":1evcdxcr said:

Sooooo.....what are you trying to say? Turbin will never be an adequate #1?

original poster

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":10bkte3s said:
original poster":10bkte3s said:

Sooooo.....what are you trying to say? Turbin will never be an adequate #1?

Certainly not for us I don't think. Maybe I'm perplexed by Marshawn's ability though and my expectation is too high for Seattle after Marshawn.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I think if you are a physical 'run to set up the pass' type of team with SB aspirations, having an elite RB is a requirement. Turbin is a good #2, but he's average at best as a prospective #1 and doesn't have anywhere near the level of force and resilience as a runner that Seattle is currently getting from Lynch.

If Lynch is an artist, Turbin uses stencils. He generally sticks to the play and improvises very little. If we ever want to learn how much of our run game is Lynch's magic and how much of it is run blocking, starting Turbin for a season would answer that question.

That said, Turbin has improved every year in the NFL. Maybe he continues to improve. As he is now, he's helping the team as a #2 RB.

Sonicsdave

Reaction score
I think we really would need to see a larger body of work to truly judge his potential. A lot of third down backs on paper have nice yards per carry average but they aren't getting hit 30 times a game and running against a stacked box on first down.

That said, there is nothing I have seen from Turbs that makes me think he couldn't be a number one guy somewhere else, or here given the chance to shine. Look at what Forsett did when he got his chance.

cacksman

Reaction score
I definitely think he would get more a lot more than the vet minimum. Especially being on a championship team, with very little mileage, and no injury history. I could see him getting just as much as those guys, on a multi-year contract.

knownone

Reaction score
Turbin reminds me of Julius Jones in his prime, not quite a #1 but good enough to not look out classed when in the role.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
No.. I think he has a productive year and gets a chance to start on another team. I think hes earned his opportunity.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
No.. I think he has a productive year and gets a chance to start on another team. I think hes earned his opportunity.

mikeak

Reaction score
Problem is the mentality you need / most of these guys have. They believe they are number 1 - so they will go elsewhere if for no other reason than try to prove what they think they can be. When that fails then I believe some are willing to accept a number 2 role....

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think he stays and ends up being the #2 for quite a number of years. My guess is the Hawks find a better #1 option be it Michael, a draft pick or via trade. His close friendship with Russ will be an unspoken large part of the reason why he stays as a backup even after losing out on being the #1.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
RB-David Johnson, UNI......if he is available in rounds 3/4, could be a guy to replace Turbin or Michael. Johnson seems to be acknowledged as the best receiving RB in the draft + he's a pretty good RB as well. IIRC, he had close to 50-TD's rushing, receiving & returning at UNI in his college career. IMO, the three guys compete, the worst gets cut or traded, the other 2 carry on.....

McGruff

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":3dwgfy9e said:
RB-David Johnson, UNI......if he is available in rounds 3/4, could be a guy to replace Turbin or Michael. Johnson seems to be acknowledged as the best receiving RB in the draft + he's a pretty good RB as well. IIRC, he had close to 50-TD's rushing, receiving & returning at UNI in his college career. IMO, the three guys compete, the worst gets cut or traded, the other 2 carry on.....

I actually like Johnson as a WR prospect more than a RB.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I agree he may get vet min, but hawks may give him a bit more. The coaches always praise him and RB coach loves him.
I wonder what RB they draft this year. Maybe one of the 4th or 6th round picks?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Turbin will be gone, and it will be with a good chance to start for someone else. Think Turner/Tomlinson.

And I hope he does well wherever he goes, unless it is in division.