5 (167)
5 (170)—comp pick
6 (180)—from Jets
6 (209)—comp pick
6 (214)—comp pick
7 (248)

King Dog

Reaction score
I don't understand the formula for comp picks, but no 3rd rounder for Tate huh? Weak

oasis

Reaction score
Yeah, Tate had a huge contract and went to the probowl. I don't know what else he would need to do to warrant a 3rd.

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
oasis":38yrvsug said:
Yeah, Tate had a huge contract and went to the probowl. I don't know what else he would need to do to warrant a 3rd.

He would have had to play for the Patriots in 2013.

Hyak

Reaction score
The Tate contract was not that huge (in the second waye of FA). That's why it was a 4 instead of a 3.

The Talib deal from Denver was much bigger, which is why NE got a 3.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Nah. Basically went as expected.

http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-co ... -for-2015/

They did predict we got two 5ths but whatever.

From these number you can see a major drop off between the top three free agents and the next tier (8.7 million APY compared to 7 million APY).

Four more picks will be awesome for us in this deep draft where we badly need to replenish our depth.

farhat

Reaction score
Players like Mebane, McDaniel, Okung, better be prepared. I have a feeling this is going to be a good draft for us and those guys may get released if they're not pulling their weight.

nepahawk

Reaction score
Does anyone believe we will draft 11 players?
With that many picks, I see us moving around quite a bit.
I see us packaging picks to get the players that JS and PC have their eyes on.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Should be an interesting draft. Trading up and down, all around and back again wouldn't come as a surprise.

el capitan

Reaction score
JTB":1w3nmljv said:
The Tate contract was not that huge (in the second waye of FA). That's why it was a 4 instead of a 3.

How does Talib's deal stack up against the one Byron Maxwell just signed with the Eagles?

McGruff

Reaction score
nepahawk":3ukxnbgi said:
Does anyone believe we will draft 11 players?
With that many picks, I see us moving around quite a bit.
I see us packaging picks to get the players that JS and PC have their eyes on.

Since Pete ND John have been here we've averaged about 10 picks a year. No less than 9 any year.

John is one record as saying he prefers quantity. He plays the averages, and believes more swings gives you more chances to hit the home run.

we might have less than 11, but it won't be much, and I'm guessing every move up is countered by a move down or out.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
MrThortan":278baipc said:
Should be an interesting draft. Trading up and down, all around and back again wouldn't come as a surprise.

I'm predicting that this will be one of the more "interesting" Draft days.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Disappointing, if there was going to be any change from the projections I was hoping it would come in the form of a 3rd for Tate, having a 5th turn into a 6th sucks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm really stoked for this draft. It's a huge year for us and we need contributors all over after our last two drafts have been partly torpedoed by injuries, Harvin and redshirting.

We absolutely have room for 11 players (or more). With Richardson and Lane on probable IR there are only about 30-35 guys remaining that are highly likely (>80%) to make the active roster. There's a ton of room for competition everywhere in those last 20 spots - guys like Daniels, Gilliam, Helfet, McCoy, Matthews, Lockette, Coyle, Burley, Blackmon, King, Scruggs, Morgan, Shead, etc. Sure they are familiar names at this point but that in itself isn't a reason to avoid additional competition via the draft. We could draft 12 this year and cut half of them and it would still be a huge win if the remaining 6 end up contributing.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
el capitan":jyjmkke9 said:
JTB":jyjmkke9 said:

How does Talib's deal stack up against the one Byron Maxwell just signed with the Eagles?

As I understand it, from a compensatory standpoint, Max's deal should equate to a 3rd for us next year, but that isn't based on any comparison to Talib. Picks are awarded based on salary tier values. Max signed a top 3-5 contract this free agency period, and with the Hawks not replacing him with with a regular UFA from another team, there is no offset that would drop his compensatory valu, meaning the Hawks will be awarded one of the highest comp picks in next year''s draft.

That is the beauty of the Carey Williams signing. He was released by the Eagles, so we didn't "take away another team's player" by signing him, and thus doesn't count in the same way signing a regular UFA does in the comp calculations. We get a decent to potentially solid replacement for Max, at a much lower cost, and it didn't hurt us comp pick wise.

EDIT: I wrote all that forgetting about the recent Revis and Hardy signings. Max may end up yielding us a 4th after all. There are only three 3rd round comp picks awarded each year. The Suh, Revis, Murray, Thomas, Hardy, and Maxwell signings are competing for those three 3rd round comp picks. I'm too tired to dig deeper at this point. :180670: A little help?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":v2y0pkl5 said:
EDIT: I wrote all that forgetting about the recent Revis and Hardy signings. Max may end up yielding us a 4th after all. There are only three 3rd round comp picks awarded each year. The Suh, Revis, Murray, Thomas, Hardy, and Maxwell signings are competing for those three 3rd round comp picks. I'm too tired to dig deeper at this point. :180670: A little help?

There were four last year and I thought that was the limit? Not sure what's happening with Hardy, but theoretically he could earn enough for a 3rd round comp. Maxi beats out Thomas and Murray's average salaries so should come in as the fourth and final 3rd rounder next year.