Seahawks to bring back Dobbs and Schilling per PC

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hopefully both of them progress and become solid depth. I like the Dobbs signing.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
I like Dobbs as a role player. I thought he played pretty well before getting hurt. I don't see the fascination with Schilling myself although he can play C and G.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Insurance policies... both of 'em.

Makes sense... and it allows us to go in any direction in the draft.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'm not sure to what extent either of these guys make a consistent impact, but I like them both. Dobbs sort of makes up for the huge (to me) disappointment of Scruggs, meaning he can potentially play the 5 Tech and provide interior pass rush. I always thought Scruggs would be awesome there, but now it seems he's one injury from being added to the mountain of NFL Neverwases. Sad.

Gilliam provides a lot of versatility on the OL. Can't he play a bit of Tackle, too? He's certainly an option to be a key depth player in multiple positions, which we'll need pretty badly if Bailey gets promoted to full-time LG.

Again, their actual potential is cloudy, but both could be very nice depth players. Fingers crossed for everyone's sake.

McGruff

Reaction score
Schilling is "meh." He's the Chris Gray of this generations line. A guy who can start, but he'll always be the weak link and a fan punching bag.

Dobbs is much the same, only he won't get as much play time.

Both guys are versatile, which is a plus I guess, but if things go well the rest of the offseason and draft, I doubt either are on the final roster.

IIRC Gilliam is primarily a tackle. Not sure he's played gyuard at all, but I think they might have repped him at center a time or two.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Both guys likely come back at vet min, don't sap from the comp process, and have experience in the system.

But their value comes from their versatility.

Schilling has experience at all 5 OL spots. While underwhelmed at his opportunity at OC, he looked to be an adequate OG.

Dobbs was excellent before his injury. He was active as a run-defender, looked slippery, shredded blocks, and had natural instinct towards the ball-carrier. And while he wasn't as superb as a pass-rusher, I wouldn't judge him on his sack count, he was able to penetrate, disrupt, and get pressure in his pass-rush opportunities. He also can rush from inside or outside and had an ability to drop into zone coverage. Dobbs was the best of the band-aid free agents Seahawks signed during the season.

These signings aren't stellar by any means and they are replaceable talent. But their versatility and experience with the Seahawks last season is a certainly useful plus and they help the bottom-line on the practice field.

kearly

Reaction score
Dobbs looked good last year. Just the latest player to get cut by a different team, then come to Seattle and make you wonder who in the hell would cut a player like that.

Trent Baalke in particular has created a nice little pipeline for such players.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
To add: Both of these players still have potential.

Schilling is entering his 5th year, and he was reported as a guy Cable liked in 2011. At 26, with limited game experience he's still young for a linemen.So, he still has developmental upside.

Cable also has a good track record with under valued journeyman type OL prospect. I wouldn't expect anything spectacular for Schillings upside but there is decent chance that he could develop into a quality if not solid depth player.

And a slimmer chance he could become a serviceable albeit average level starter.

Dobbs is more what you see, is what you get but he was more than solid in the rotation last year. And he was a mid-season add coming from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and learning to play with a different group of guys.

Dobbs potential isn't developmental upside but more so growth from system familiarity and more chemistry with the players around him. With a full off-season with the Seahawks he could become an even stronger contributor.

Putting it into perspective if you took age and cost out of the equation and traded potential upside for experience and immediate impact and weigh it against the current crop of draft prospects.

Dobbs is potentially adding a potentially 3rd-5th round DT to the mix.

Schilling is more adding a 5th-7th round prospect.

There is a viable chance that a rookie drafted in those respected ranges could be better especially if you consider the long-term upside and growth.

But there is a safer chance that Dobbs and Schilling are better players than those prospects are ready more so to contribute in the short term.

These are solid depth signings and again they'll help better the bottom line going into the season.

If these guys end up being out-competed, the Seahawks likely improved. If not, then you know that you have serviceable if not reliable depth with experience.

Largent80

Reaction score
Both of these guys have upside. Schilling hasn't played much and may not still play much depending on injuries. However, Dobbs flashed some skills prior to being injured when he filled in for Mebane.

I like these signings, young guys with some experience for depth.

With 11 draft choices, our depth may be as good as 2013....... :179417:

drdiags

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1569d4gp said:
Apparently Pete also indicated that the team was also interested in bringing back Kevin Williams as well.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/3/25/829 ... ree-agency

All in all Kevin Williams played quite well last year.

Yeah, I would like for Kevin Williams to come back. If he decides to move on, I hope he picks the Superbowl winner as the team he chooses. I know SB49 not only tore up the Seahawks players, organization and fans but I guess Williams was my adopt-a-vet to win a Superbowl and took the loss very hard. Probably why the team sounds like they have to convince him to come back.

I think of players through-out history that put in HOF careers but never could win the big one. Williams did more than just hold a spot in order to collect. He did the best he could to fill in when Mebane went down.

Glad to hear TJack may be coming back. Means we won't lose Zeb to some other fanbase ... ha ha!