Chris Myers (Center) Visiting Seahawks

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/582590788300832768[/tweet]

Used to play with the Texans. I would be surprised if we didn't sign a center of some kind before the draft.

McGruff

Reaction score
He is older (33) with a ton of experience (120+ games started in 11 years). He's smallish but is known to be a great run blocker in the zone blocking scheme.

Contractually you are looking at a guy who will likely get a short contract (1-3 years) with very low salary and bonus (less than 2 million per year cap hit) and because he was actually cut by the TExans he will not count against the comp equation for next year.

If we sign him it would remind me a little bit of the Eric Winston signing a few years ago . . . at this point he is a guy you sign as insurance but secretly hope he doesn't make the team because younger guys step up.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Loving this.

Myers is 33 years old, entering his age 34 season.

He's been a consistently good to great center for the last 5 years. And he's been a dominant run blocker for that time as well.

But what his value really comes down to is...

He's been a literal Superman since he became a starter, starting every game for the last 7 years, 128 games out of 128 games to be exact. Loads of experience.

And what makes that experience even sweeter is his whole ten year career the only blocking system he has ever known is the ZBS.

If he has enough left in the tank, he would be a great stop-gap.

Either way he would help the depth in whole and help mentor up the plethora of young linemen Seahawks will surely invest in this draft.

Even if you signed Myers, there is still likely at three spots to fill.

Okung
Bailey, Schilling
Myers, Lewis
Sweezy, Milton
Britt, Gilliam

Bailey and Myers wouldn't be entrenched, and the back four in depth are replaceable at this point.

I could see the Hawks drafting an OG, OC, and OT to push the threshold of competition at each group.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":21ibag6b said:
Maybe putting some pressure on Wis to sign at a cheaper rate?

Market is doing that for him.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3lghbj0z said:
I could see the Hawks drafting an OG, OC, and OT to push the threshold of competition at each group.
I agree and consider OT a strong need at this point given that Okung will be an unrestricted free agent next season. The odds are strongly against resigning UFAs and it seems unlikely that we will extend him before then given his injury history.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I admire his unequivocal interaction with Linda Cohn on SportsCenter

Hawks46

Reaction score
He's started 144 consecutive games, and according to PFF, he's the 16th ranked center overall last year, and the 3rd ranked center at run blocking.

Sounds like he'd fit in well. I'm guessing we'll get him for cheap, and he can mentor our younger guys like Lewis.

I could still see us drafting a G/C guy, and maybe resign Jean-Pierre.

If we could sign a vet like this, it greatly improves our depth and makes it so we're really not hurting all that bad going into the draft.

Then again, what do I know ? I still feel Sweezy is average at best.

massari

Reaction score
Maybe they can fit Myers AND Wisniewski under the cap.

ivotuk

Reaction score
John Clayton "They'd like to get Wiz because he's younger. Myers is a Pro Bowl caliber guy, he can play." "They will bring in more people for competition, they like 3, 4, 5 guys competing for a position."

From my 710 post, its about 8:10 in

John Clayton talks about Brandon Mebane's situation, including if and when the Seahawks could cut him and why he'd have to take a pay cut on the open market. Mariners pitcher Dominic Leone answers the tough questions like Brad Miller's hair, getting snubbed from the 'Hawt Corner' video, and also about pitcher's working on things in spring. In "Sweeping the Dial" the guys talk about the end of Gonzaga's run, the Falcons pumping in noise, and Sam Bradford in Philly.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore