Winning SB 50 could the D word be used even a little ?

Reaction score
My wife asked me a question that I couldn't give here a straight answer cause I wasn't sure how to answer it.The question was if we made it to SB 50 and won could you use the dynasty word on this Seahawks team at all and in any kind of way considering we loss SB 49 by a single yard. She also made the point of NFL players and coaches as well as opposing team fans know we more than likely should have won the game but a lot of people will never admit or just come out and say it. IMO 3 years straight to the SB and 2 wins and 1 yard short from winning IMO means you gotta put them in that category or use the word in a gentle context if that makes any sense. What do you guys think ?

Crizilla

Reaction score
2 out 3 superbowls with the 1 loss being by 1 yard, yeah I think so.

However its a looong road to SB50. I'm not even thinking about that right now. I'm thinking about the draft. That's it.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Gotta go farther than that......4 years in the playoffs, 3 years in the Owl....Ya...I could see it. :twisted: :shock:

farhat

Reaction score
No. A dynasty is when a team with pretty much the same players, wins 3 championships. For example, the Steelers won 4 in the 70s, the 49ers 3 in the 80s, the Cowboys 3 in the 90s, and the Patriots 3 in the 2000s. All the indicators point to Seattle doing this decade.

I know we almost won last month, but almost isn't good enough. So, we need to win 2 more.

If you want to say we have an National Football Conference dynasty, then I'll go with that.

But, what I've learned is that just one little thing can go wrong and screw it all up. Injuries. Luck. One stupid play call. So, I'm not putting my hope in football anymore.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Not to worry, we still have Bevel

god I was hoping he would get a head coaching job somewhere

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Considering the fact our last 2 playoffs losses were with 1 yard to go int he Superbowl and a 30 second collapse in the ATL game..then yes. Honestly that should of been our 3rd straight NFC Championship game last year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Need 3.

Steelers in 2005, 2008 (wins) and 2010 (loss) don't make the grade. You can't win 2 of 3. You need three.

That's the standard.

Saying anything else is just trying to make the Hawks something they aren't right now. Seattle was on the verge. But they still need 2 more titles to be considered that. And probably need those two in the next 4 years. Otherwise you're spreading the titles across too much time for the teams to be similar.

If the NY Giants were to win it next year, they wouldn't be considered a dynasty, since the players of their 2007 season are long gone. As are most of their players from their most recent win in 2011.

Dynasty is three with largely the same team.

kearly

Reaction score
Need 3. We'll get 3. I've been telling people dynasty in person since August 2012. It's gotten a snicker or two, but I have never felt as sure of anything in my life.

Decimation

Reaction score
kearly":3l9n8vag said:
Need 3. We'll get 3. I've been telling people dynasty in person since August 2012. It's gotten a snicker or two, but I have never felt as sure of anything in my life.
It just feels like destiny, doesn't it?

I feel like SB50 is ours.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It would go down as one of the best squads in history. Most of the same starters are still around, so it counts as mostly the same team.

As for a dynasty, I'd say yes. In 4 years, we'd have won half as many titles as the Patriots have in over a decade, and they're an undisputed dynasty. There are very few players (if any) outside of Brady that were around for the first championship, yet the Patriots are considered are a dynasty.

To be indisputable, I would agree with folks saying we'd need 3. I'd also say, longevity seems to matter. so making the playoffs a few more times also would help. Even though it's been a weak division, it really is amazing what the Pats have done.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Marlin Man":23noipgj said:
Not to worry, we still have Bevel

god I was hoping he would get a head coaching job somewhere
And I was delighted he stayed where he's at and we've entrusted our offense with him. He's part of the brain trust that's gotten the Hawks to the last 2 Super Bowls and I have confidence he'll do it again

original poster

Reaction score
I'm a whole lot more excited about this season than 2014, not saying it's going to happen but we've got a better chance than most!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
drummerseahawkboy":1dvjirci said:
She also made the point of NFL players and coaches as well as opposing team fans know we more than likely should have won the game but a lot of people will never admit or just come out and say it.

Absolutely yes to the dynasty question if the Hawks won SB50

That said, as an outsider, I don't think the above thing your wife said is true. I can understand why Hawks fans would think this way, but at the big SB party I was at (almost entirely populated by non-Hawks and non-Pats fans (for the record I was one of only two 9ers fans) the overwhelming opinion was the Hawks were ridiculously lucky to even be there.

Hawks fans, being fans, like to focus on the ridiculous unluckiness of the goalline int, but kinda forget the ridiculous luckiness of an end-of-game onside kick recovery to get to the SB, and the once in a lifetime circus catch with time winding down to even get down near the goalline.

I know you guys have an investment in talking about how banged up your secondary was (and you're not wrong), but fans of other teams saw Brady carving up the defense of a team that took a miracle to not have already been eliminated.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Going go 3 Super Bowls in a row in the salary cap era? Never been done before I saw that might qualify

Decimation

Reaction score
Don't really care what anyone wants to call it I just want another Super Bowl win! [emoji106]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Meeker":1lx3gy8o said:
You need 3.

If you ready anything on NFL dynasties, and what teams people think of when talking of dynasties, it's a minimum of three in a short period of time. Steelers, Pats, Cowboys, Niners...........all won 3 or more in a short time period.

So no, I would not call the Hawks a dynasty if we won next year.

ceej22

Reaction score
Yes.

As far as the "we should have won the game" garbage it goes both ways (i.e. GB should have won the NFCCG). Should've would've could've doest change the fact that they didn't