PUMPED and JACKED for the Passing Game This Year!

rideaducati

Reaction score
The time has once again come to start getting excited about what the new NFL season will bring. There will be teams that don't live up to their expectations and teams that exceed their wildest dreams. Only ONE team will come out on top. That team should be the Seahawks. With their defense and run game already in place and only one way to go with the passing game, this year should be fun.

As we all know, the Seahawk receiving corp is average on it's best day, but that has worked out just fine for what the Seahawks do. Add in two new players to go along with what the Seahawks already had and this could be a banner year.

Jimmy Graham is a great receiving threat and comes in at 6'7. He is sometimes taken off his game when teams get physical with him, but the teams that can do that with any regularity are few and far between.

Teams will also have to contend with Chris Matthews, a budding 6'5 wide receiver that knows how to use his height to his advantage. He is raw, but what we saw from him in his first games gives us SOMETHING to get excited about.

Those two, along with the speed of Lockette, Baldwin and Kearse or the height advantages they can get with Willson and McCoy and the possibilities... Add in the youngsters of Norwood and Richardson...

None of these guys on their own will make teams wary of the Seahawks passing game, but when you look at all the differing combinations that can be played on any given play, the match up possibilities are endless and I have no doubt that the Seahawk coaching staff will find several match up nightmares on any given Sunday.

Many people are really down the Seahawk receivers, but I am not one of those guys. The Seahawks have a few easily replaceable guys at the position, but I don't think there is a DIRE NEED to replace any of them. Sure, we'd all like to see an upgrade, but the Seahawks have already proven that they can win with what they had and now they HAVE upgraded.

I see endless possibilities for this Seahawk passing game.

I AM PUMPED AND JACKED!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I do to, especially giving Lynch more room to run.

I doubt we change our MO much in regards to how much we pass, however, the improvement will be in the Red Zone or 3rd and what ever. This is the situation that I'm excited about our passing game.

With a thinner defense, it will be more critical that we keep the offense on the field, and for long sustained drives, killing time and scoring TD's instead of FG's.
Seahawks best defense is to keep the defense off the field.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I 2nd the emotion :{)

Don't doubt the Seahawks have been a force to be reckoned with the past couple of years.
Our offseason additions will only add to the havoc we wreak.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2oag0avh said:
Just REALLY hope you know who manages to pull his head out of his ass and draws up creative plays to utilize these riches.
Yes please, if Bevell doesn't utilize Graham correctly he's officially the Devil and must die!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":jc9q1lu9 said:
hgwellz12":jc9q1lu9 said:
Just REALLY hope you know who manages to pull his head out of his ass and draws up creative plays to utilize these riches.

Yes please, if Bevell doesn't utilize Graham correctly he's officially the Devil and must die!

Did you have to remind us of our "slothful play" in the first half of the SB?

Hawks46

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1ox0wezm said:
hgwellz12":1ox0wezm said:
Yes please, if Beverlll doesn't utilize Graham correctly he's officially the Devil and must die!

Everyone knows social media is the Devil. Bevell would then be the antichrist.

Seriousy, I'm really intrigued by our WR corps this year. I expect Matthews to get better. You have to get some confidence, having the 2nd best game by a UDFA in super bowl history. If he can do that against a good secondary, yet from his comments he knows he still needs to work hard to make the team (and he has to know we're drafting a WR), he should improve.

I also am excited to see Norwood improve. He was hurt most of the preseason last year, so this year he shouldn't be over whelmed by being on a NFL team, plus he'll get all the practice reps he missed last year. He's got a plus catch radius and is good at catching balls in traffic and getting the disputed catch (at least he was elite at this in college).

Like others have said, Graham paired with Matthews should be exciting. There just aren't many teams that can deal with a 6'7" and a 6'5" receiver tandem at the same time. We don't have a hard time getting in the red zone, and now our red zone weakness has likely been alleviated. I don't expect much from Richardson, but I liked what I saw from him last year. The coaching staff might redshirt him this year, but he was polished and looked very natural running routes last year, and was a better blocker and WR in traffic that most of us initially thought.

I have confidence in the coaching staff to plug the few holes we have on defense, and teak things to make them better. I just hope the LoB heals up completely.

Our offense is starting to look set. I am still slightly concerned about the interior OL, but honestly, it wasn't that great last year, and now we have a chance to improve on Unger's physicality and Carpenter's lack of execution.

If our defense comes back as good as last year, I think Graham is good for 1-2 wins where we barely lost last year. It's looking good for another deep playoff run.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Not expecting to see a big jump in attempts or yards this year but I'm anxious to see how Jimmeh does as a Seahawk.

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah it's rhe 3rd down conversions and red zones that will elevate us even further, very exciting!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud, but with Graham being such a danger in the middle of the field and down the seam(on the sideline as well, yes, but...) Kearse, possibly Matthews and at some point PRich are going to have a LOT of one on ones. Kearse in particular since he undoubtedly seems to have RW's trust even when things go pretty damn bad. Fans of other teams seem to tell us how dangerous Kearse is downfield and next year I don't think he'll be the only one. Feed the Beast always, but we should very well see even more, and at a higher percentage of explosive plays next year even for a team that has been tops or near tops in said category.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm waiting to see what shakes out with the OL before I can get excited about the passing game. Right now we lack two starters.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
original poster":1aldnb61 said:
Yeah it's rhe 3rd down conversions and red zones that will elevate us even further, very exciting!

This all day all night.

It's pretty plain to see, that Seattle does really well on drives where we can extend them by a series. Our conversion rates are very average for an NFL team in the 3rd and 4 or more. At third and short, we are above the NFL average at converting. Graham presents a threat that not only can help tremendously in the third and medium/long variety, but also to get us to third and short more consistently. And it's not merely his immediate contribution. But also making it easier for other players (Lynch included) to make bigger chunk gains.

We score on 60% of our drives where we convert a third down. Overall, we scored on 42% of our drives. Each conversion equating to 3+ additional plays (punts excluded) and nearly 18 additional yards gained per drive. Conversions means more rushing and passing yards and more opportunities for chunk plays, which we already excel at with the talent on this team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Right now I'm just pumped, I won't be jacked until September.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I worry.

I've never been an ardent hater of Bevell, but now I'm experiencing a slow poisoning of my opinion of him. Jimmy Graham cut his teeth under Sean Payton, an offensive genius. Bevell is not that, and Pete Carroll is defensive-minded and has always displayed a rather simplistic offensive philosophy (smashmouth running game, then get a big receiver to soak up the benefits). We've seen an ongoing pattern of mistimed formations and very simplistic route combinations, tendencies that have predated the Lockette Fail for years. It's something that stacks up much higher, at least in mind, than the presence of Jimmy Graham. To be honest.

Kevin Norwood (short arms) and Chris Matthews are untested. They're just as likely to become nothing as they are something. Matthews drew the easy assignments against the Patriots thanks to being a brand-new face, and he made the most of them. But that doesn't make him special, just a taller Jermaine Kearse. There is sooo much more that needs to be seen from him, now that defensive coordinators will be gunning for him.

But that, of course, leads to the point that despite all those problems, we've won two NFC championships.

OP
OP
R

rideaducati

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2tq6ak06 said:
The more I think about it, the more I worry.

I've never been an ardent hater of Bevell, but now I'm experiencing a slow poisoning of my opinion of him. Jimmy Graham cut his teeth under Sean Payton, an offensive genius. Bevell is not that, and Pete Carroll is defensive-minded and has always displayed a rather simplistic offensive philosophy (smashmouth running game, then get a big receiver to soak up the benefits). We've seen an ongoing pattern of mistimed formations and very simplistic route combinations, tendencies that have predated the Lockette Fail for years. It's something that stacks up much higher, at least in mind, than the presence of Jimmy Graham. To be honest.

Kevin Norwood (short arms) and Chris Matthews are untested. They're just as likely to become nothing as they are something. Matthews drew the easy assignments against the Patriots thanks to being a brand-new face, and he made the most of them. But that doesn't make him special, just a taller Jermaine Kearse. There is sooo much more that needs to be seen from him, now that defensive coordinators will be gunning for him.

But that, of course, leads to the point that despite all those problems, we've won two NFC championships.

I think Russell Wilson will now be able to overcome Bevell. I trust Russell to find a mismatch and exploit it. Adding two players over 6'5 will stress defenses.

Matthews may not turn in to an all pro receiver, but he has shown flashes that he COULD be pretty good. If Matthews can continue to progress and make defenses have to account for him, that will open up the other receivers. If defenses don't really take notice of Matthews, he will have more 100 yard receiving games. Either way, adding in these guys will have some effect on how defenses play the Seahawks.

I believe it's going to be a "pick your poison" year for the Seahawks and the personnel Bevell uses in his simplistic offense will be better which will make the Seahawks better.

Maybe a taller Jermaine Kearse is just what the Seahawks needed.

niveky

Reaction score
With this talk about the offense and the passing game..on the other side of the coin. If the offense is a lot more explosive and going down the field and putting up a lot more points. Will the D suffer just as a product of having to play more due to the other teams getting more chances to go down and score as well.

OP
OP
R

rideaducati

Reaction score
niveky":tffwvz5r said:
With this talk about the offense and the passing game..on the other side of the coin. If the offense is a lot more explosive and going down the field and putting up a lot more points. Will the D suffer just as a product of having to play more due to the other teams getting more chances to go down and score as well.

I don't think so because the opponents will be forced into passing situations because they'll be behind more often. Seattle's defensive strength is their passing defense and that could even get better this year.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I'm pumped but the current status of the O-line won't allow me to get jacked.

I love the addition of Jimmy and am encouraged by Matthews' play, but unless the o-line pass blocks better than they did last year, the full potential of this passing game might not ever be reached.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'm excited to see how ADB does when he is not being shadowed by our opponents best DB. I'm also excited to see a line up of Mathews, Luke Willson and Jimmy with Doug in the slot. That will test opponents secondary and will create favorable mismatches. Opponents won't be able to stack the box as easily also. This could potentially be a break out year for Christine Michael.

I loved Unger but between him and Carp's health issues I am hopeful we will see some continuity and if we do I feel better about Okung staying healthy. I know we will see an initial drop off but really probably not that much considering we rarely had the whole line of starters in anyway but if we can finally start seeing some health I think we could actually see improvement from last year.

I also think RW will be going with more three step drops and getting the ball out under three seconds and that will also help tremendously with the play and the health of the O-line.

All that being said I am also nervous because these transactions never seem to work out for us. Branch, Harvin, Housh on and on I can't think of a single transaction for a receiver that was suppose to make a huge impact, ever work out. Hopefully Jimmy changes that for us.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I love having Graham this year, we addressed our biggest need from last year with the #1 red zone threat in the NFC (what a huge move). I do wonder if people have way to high expectations for Matthews though? He was not some new pick up, he was with us off and on all year. If he is that spectacular why did we wait until the Super Bowl to unleash him when a tall WR was a very apparent weakness. He had a fantastic game but he has 4 career catches and all were in the Super Bowl. I hope he does work out to be an answer but there was a reason he wasn't active until late in the season, he needs to do way more to convince me he is the answer! I actually think he is still questionable as to whether he makes the team?