PED Suspensions Trending Away From Seahawks

Willyeye

Reaction score
Once considered to be the NFL's poster team for PED's, it's been nearly two years since any Seattle Seahawk player has tested positive for the NFL's Performance Enhancing Drug Policy (PED). In the 1-year period from December 2011 to December 2012, four Seahawks were suspended for PED's. John Moffit, Allen Barbre, Winston Guy and Brandon Browner all served 4-game suspensions shortly after they tested positive. Moffit, Barbre and Guy were all gone from the team in short order.

Brandon Browner, who tested positive on 12-5-12, stayed with the team through the end of 2013 season; he also served a suspension for marijuana use late in the 2013 season, missing all the games after Week 10, even through the playoffs and SB. In March, 2014, Browner declared for free agency and was signed by the New England Patriots, where he finished serving his pot suspension during the first four weeks of the 2014 season.

Bruce Irvin, the last Seahawks player who tested positive for Adderall on 5-17-13 and the only suspended player who still remains with the team, was suspended for the first four games of the 2013 season. Because Irvin's positive test took place in May during the offseason, given current rules, Irvin would not have been suspended for a PED violation...it would have been considered a Substances of Abuse Policy violation (recreational drug violation). After a new drug policy deal was worked out between the NFLPA (NFL Players Association) and the NFL in September 2014, Adderall was downgraded to recreational drug status, but only during the offseason. Any player who tests positive for Adderall during the offseason will now be considered to have violated the NFL's Substance Abuse Policy (recreational drugs) rather than the PED Policy. During the season, a positive test for Adderall will retain its PED classification.

Here is a list of NFL teams and the number of PED violations they have had over the last 2 years:

Colts- 3; Dolphins- 3; Bears- 2; Vikings- 2; Ravens- 2; Rams- 2; Eagles- 2; Cowboys- 2; Buccaneers- 2; NY Giants- 2; Seahawks- 1; Redskins- 1; Raiders- 1; Bengals- 1; NY Jets- 1; 49ers- 1; Jaguars- 1; Patriots-1; Chiefs-1; Broncos- 1; Texans- 1.

As of May 17, 2015, the Seahawks will have ZERO violations of the NFL's PED policy in the past 2 years, and they will be taken off of the above list.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2mspydxv said:
And if there was a list of arrests, the Niners # would likely be way up at the top :D

Given that the 49ers are above reproach, it's surprising to me that they let all of their criminal players get away with all of these arrests for so long without cleaning house. Something like 11 arrests in 2 years?

At least the Seahawks got rid of most of the guys that were suspended or arrested. I seem to recall Lynch being arrested for DUI over a year ago. I think Ware was arrested twice for DUI, but the Hawks cut him. Other than Lynch, have any other Seahawks been arrested that are still currently on the Seahawks?

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Willyeye":25m0e0ek said:
SoulfishHawk":25m0e0ek said:
And if there was a list of arrests, the Niners # would likely be way up at the top :D

Given that the 49ers are above reproach, it's surprising to me that they let all of their criminal players get away with all of these arrests for so long without cleaning house. Something like 11 arrests in 2 years?

At least the Seahawks got rid of most of the guys that were suspended or arrested. I seem to recall Lynch being arrested for DUI over a year ago. I think Ware was arrested twice for DUI, but the Hawks cut him. Other than Lynch, have any other Seahawks been arrested that are still currently on the Seahawks?

Easy website to see all arrest for the NFL or by team. http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

RiverDog

Reaction score
Willyeye":qlyshc98 said:
Moffitt, Barbre and Guy were all gone from the team in short order.

Let's get the record straight on our implied roster purge.

Barbre and Guy were gone in short order mainly because they weren't good enough to make the team, although the PED thing probably didn't help their chances. Moffitt tested positive for PED's in Dec. of 2011, started 6 games in 2012, was traded in August of 2013. Browner tested positive in 2012, played in 8 games in 2013, was suspended for substance abuse late in that season, then hit agency at the start of the following season. He wasn't resigned, and PED's were a part of that decision with a larger part being that Byron Maxwell was a better player. Bruce Irvin tested positive early in 2013 and was suspended for the first 4 games. He's still on the roster.

My point is that Pete doesn't have any less tolerance for PED's than anyone else, to the contrary, one could argue that he has shown more tolerance. But I do agree with others that Harbaugh's "beyond reproach" statement was ludicrous and hypocritical.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
RiverDog":18l26mzw said:
Willyeye":18l26mzw said:

Barbre and Guy were gone in short order mainly because they weren't good enough to make the team, although the PED thing probably didn't help their chances. Moffitt tested positive for PED's in Dec. of 2011, started 6 games in 2012, was traded in August of 2013. Browner tested positive in 2012, played in 8 games in 2013, was suspended for substance abuse late in that season, then hit agency at the start of the following season. He wasn't resigned, and PED's were a part of that decision with a larger part being that Byron Maxwell was a better player. Bruce Irvin tested positive early in 2013 and was suspended for the first 4 games. He's still on the roster.

My point is that Pete doesn't have any less tolerance for PED's than anyone else, to the contrary, one could argue that he has shown more tolerance. But I do agree with others that Harbaugh's "beyond reproach" statement was ludicrous and hypocritical.

I am not sure that you understand how to, "set the record straight."

You have no peripheral.

mikeak

Reaction score
Willyeye":27en0wbd said:
Bruce Irvin, the last Seahawks player who tested positive for Adderall. Any player who tests positive for Adderall during the offseason will now be considered to have violated the NFL's Substance Abuse Policy (.

Lets be a little bit clearer here

The NFL is not allowed to make statements about what the players were caught using.

The players / agents etc seem to release the rumors that they took Adderall

We really have no idea and it could be something that people would view way more negative than they do Adderall (which is probably why players release this information).

So Bruce Irvin tested positive for PEDs - substance unknown just like for other players.

The only thing we do know is that up until last year it wasn't HGH they were caught with since they could all take that and get away with it

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You just jinxed us.

Now Russell's gonna get caught drug muling 12 balloons of black tar heroin in his sphincter across the Mexican border.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":2di29676 said:
Willyeye":2di29676 said:
Bruce Irvin, the last Seahawks player who tested positive for Adderall. Any player who tests positive for Adderall during the offseason will now be considered to have violated the NFL's Substance Abuse Policy (.

Lets be a little bit clearer here

The NFL is not allowed to make statements about what the players were caught using.

The players / agents etc seem to release the rumors that they took Adderall

We really have no idea and it could be something that people would view way more negative than they do Adderall (which is probably why players release this information).

So Bruce Irvin tested positive for PEDs - substance unknown just like for other players.

The only thing we do know is that up until last year it wasn't HGH they were caught with since they could all take that and get away with it

And when you figure in that was the same offseason that the Seahawks said they wanted to see Irvin bulk up, and he did put on some good muscle in that off season, it could easily be interpreted differently.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
RiverDog":20eupz5q said:
Willyeye":20eupz5q said:

Sorry River Dog, This post wasn't really meant for people who are smarter than I am :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RiverDog":3llv76td said:

He's not even affiliated with the 9ers anymore but I'll go to my grave insisting that Harbaugh's "above reproach" comment was deliberately twisted into being entirely unrelated to what he said.

He was an idiot for sure to respond to a question he got about the Hawks' PED issues at the time (no debating that), but I'd be shocked if P.C. himself didn't agree with Harbaugh's quoting of Bo Schembechler on the "above reproach" thing.

His point, which he expressed incredibly clearly, was that particularly when your team is good you always want to run the cleanest organization so that all the guys you beat don't have any excuses as to why they lost to you -- Hawks fans, who had to deal with all the PED stuff after the team became successful, should understand this better than anybody.

SE174

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yf1d5t4 said:
You just jinxed us.

Now Russell's gonna get caught drug muling 12 balloons of black tar heroin in his sphincter across the Mexican border.
Jinxed? That would help in his contract negotiations immensely! :D

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Once again, no suspensions for the Seahawks. Our guys are staying clean. :thirishdrinkers:

Not that the NFL isn't trying their damnedest . . .

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/616340236902211584[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Earl_Thomas/status/560824986370187264[/tweet]

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Also didn't moffitt say he had a prescription and didn't know at the time it was on the banned list
Granted you can probably get a script for anything these days
Somehow I could see him needing Adderall after listening to him on 710

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SE174":qjzp79o2 said:
Sgt. Largent":qjzp79o2 said:
You just jinxed us.

Jinxed? That would help in his contract negotiations immensely! :D
See? There's always a bright side to any situation. I do agree with the majority sentiment that it's really nice not seeing our Seahawks getting nailed for this stuff.

Latest posts