Why was Simon's Injury Completely Ignored?

Willyeye

Reaction score
When I read comments by trolls over the last couple of months about Brady carving up the LOB in the SB, Hawk fans answer with the fact that Lane and Avril went down during the SB, and Thomas, Sherman and Chancellor were playing hurt, and that Simon was picked on because he sucks. Why is Simon the scapegoat?

Simon actually had a pretty good regular season, at least according to ProFootballFocus. In fact, Simon was even graded higher than Maxwell last season on PFF...Simon was the #43 CB and Maxwell was the #45 CB (Burley was ranked the #33 CB) on PFF. Their passer rating against: Maxwell…81.1; Simon…44.4 (#2 in the NFL). Simon dislocated his shoulder on the last play of the 35-6 win over the Cards in Week 16. At the time, Carroll said Simon would be out the rest of the year. It was a horrible injury…Simon was laying on the ground writhing in pain after the play. I still remember watching it on TV and seeing the team doc run out onto the field and a trainer holding Simon down while the doc repeatedly tried to shove his arm back into socket, before finally giving up and taking him off the field.

Three weeks later, Maxwell had an illness/ shortness of breath, and suddenly, Simon was replacing Maxwell in the divisional round game, even though Simon was still injured. He had a horrible game against the Panthers…didn’t even look like the same player. So prior to the SB, instead of activating a healthy Burley and not activating an injured Simon, they go with the injured guy. Of course, thanks to good old Murphy, in the first quarter of the SB, Lane goes down. What’s the plan? Move Maxwell to Nickel and hang an injured Simon out to dry at RCB...as plans go, not a very good one. Had they just decided to go with a healthy guy for the active roster, Burley would have been available to replace Lane at Nickel, a position that Burley is pretty good at. A healthy Maxwell could have stayed at RCB. Instead, in the biggest game of the season, the LOB now consists of 4 DB’s that are ALL trying to play through some pretty serious injuries, against one of the best QB’s in NFL history, Tom Brady.

Tharold Simon had shoulder surgery on 2-24-15. He will likely be back before Lane, but will probably take longer to get healthy than Earl. So whose fault was it that Simon was playing in the SB? NOT SIMON'S. To expect a redshirt rookie to play through an injury just like Earl, Sherm and Kam could (3 All Pros), and hoping Simon could also defend against Tom Brady, turned out to be extremely foolish. Had the powers that be decided to activate Burley before the SB, the Hawks would most likely not have needed to make that comeback on their last drive.

GO HAWKS!!!!

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Well stated, lots of things to reflect back on. I hope all overcome their injuries, and are back to what we expect this fall.

cacksman

Reaction score
A good argument, perhaps.

The question is, how much did a dislocated shoulder 6 weeks prior, have to do with his performance in the Super Bowl?

Earl Thomas dislocated his shoulder and kept playing in the NFCCG.

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
The plays I saw him consistently burned on were the flat routes from edelman. He would cut the inside route and Simon would have the position the edelman would stop on a dime and a well thrown back shoulder throw. Still not sure if I could blame Simon even then. I couldn't see how you would defend it other than not overly commit to the inside route. And not knowing how that defense was supposed to be run at that time and the camera not showing what edelman was running into I don't know if Simon could have protected the back shoulder better and let inside help, cover the flat route.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Simon is a very solid boundary cb.

But he is not built to play inside against Edelman/Baldwin/Hawkins/Welker type of dudes, and he was unfortunately put in a very difficult situation on the biggest stage. Frankly, very good long cbs like Sherman and Cromartie etc would also have a hard time in the slot against those shifty smaller guys; it is hard to move 6'2 - 6'4 worth of limbs in multiple directions quickly. If people think Simon is a poor player because of what happened in the Super Bowl, they aren't paying attention; and if that Lane injury could have been predicted, Burley probably would have dressed.

Jville

Reaction score
kobebryant":txev6mek said:
Simon is a very solid boundary cb.

But he is not built to play inside against Edelman/Baldwin/Hawkins/Welker type of dudes, and he was unfortunately put in a very difficult situation on the biggest stage. Frankly, very good long cbs like Sherman and Cromartie etc would also have a hard time in the slot against those shifty smaller guys; it is hard to move 6'2 - 6'4 worth of limbs in multiple directions quickly. If people think Simon is a poor player because of what happened in the Super Bowl, they aren't paying attention; and if that Lane injury could have been predicted, Burley probably would have dressed.

Nicely described. :th2thumbs: and concise.

Willyeye":txev6mek said:
When I read comments by trolls over the last couple of months about Brady carving up the LOB in the SB, Hawk fans answer with the fact that Lane and Avril went down during the SB, and Thomas, Sherman and Chancellor were playing hurt, and that Simon was picked on because he sucks. Why is Simon the scapegoat?

Many of us do not use the term "sucks". It just isn't a very useful or descriptive term. It's more of an information / communication cop out.

With regards to the Seahawk defensive backfield, New England found and exploited a favorable match up against an extensively injured and diminished secondary. Their diminished status was very obvious and it certainly did not necessitate any search for or naming of a scapegoat.

With regards to trolls, maybe they could be on the receiving end of that pathetic "suck" word. I doubt they are worth wasting any meaningful thought on.

razor150

Reaction score
I agree with what you say, Simon with his injury had no business being in that game just from that stand point. From another Burley is a better fit to go against the smaller faster WRs the Patriots had even if Simon had been healthy.

Fade

Reaction score
If Seattle drafts 2 corners Simon might not even make the team.

1 Richard Sherman
2 Cary Williams
3 Nickle Will Blackmon / Jeremy Lane if he can get healthy late season.
4 Rookie CB 1
5 Rookie CB 2 / Tharold Simon / Marcus Burley / Eric Pinkins (Still listed at CB on .com)

PUP Jeremy Lane

Even if Seattle goes with 6 corners there would still be a chance he gets cut.

I'm also curious to see if Seattle brings in another vet Nickle Back after the draft to compete with Will Blackmon.

Largent80

Reaction score
Simon got valuable game experience, and one of them is the biggest game there is. No rookie is going to bump him off the team. The coaches like him, and he has a LOT of upside.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Fade":30nihqij said:
If Seattle drafts 2 corners Simon might not even make the team.

1 Richard Sherman
2 Cary Williams
3 Nickle Will Blackmon / Jeremy Lane if he can get healthy late season.
4 Rookie CB 1
5 Rookie CB 2 / Tharold Simon / Marcus Burley / Eric Pinkins (Still listed at CB on .com)

PUP Jeremy Lane

Even if Seattle goes with 6 corners there would still be a chance he gets cut.

I'm also curious to see if Seattle brings in another vet Nickle Back after the draft to compete with Will Blackmon.

I have a feeling that Simon might go up against Williams, and that he could even get the starting CB job. I also wouldn't be surprised if Burley gets the starting job over Blackmon. If they think Pinkins can get healthy at least by the early part of the season, I doubt that they would draft 2 CB's...I figured they would only draft 1 CB.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Jville":2kirckss said:
Willyeye":2kirckss said:

Many of us do not use the term "sucks". It just isn't a very useful or descriptive term. It's more of an information / communication cop out.

With regards to the Seahawk defensive backfield, New England found and exploited a favorable match up against an extensively injured and diminished secondary. Their diminished status was very obvious and it certainly did not necessitate any search for or naming of a scapegoat.

With regards to trolls, maybe they could be on the receiving end of that pathetic "suck" word. I doubt they are worth wasting any meaningful thought on.

Not sure if that's what you meant, but I'm not the one who uses the word "sucks" . Regarding the scapegoat comment, the point of my original post was to point out that a lot of Hawks fans knew about the injuries of Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor, but didn't know about Simon's injury, and THEY used Simon as the scapegoat for why the Hawks allowed Brady to be relatively successful. I have no clue what your point is in the last couple of sentences...it almost sounds as if you are defending trolls.

Jville

Reaction score
Willyeye":1ju4fv9s said:
Jville":1ju4fv9s said:
Willyeye":1ju4fv9s said:

Not sure if that's what you meant, but I'm not the one who uses the word "sucks" . Regarding the scapegoat comment, the point of my original post was to point out that a lot of Hawks fans knew about the injuries of Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor, but didn't know about Simon's injury, and THEY used Simon as the scapegoat for why the Hawks allowed Brady to be relatively successful. I have no clue what your point is in the last couple of sentences...it almost sounds as if you are defending trolls.

That's ok ....... sometimes my comments have unintended effects. My comments were not directed at you or what you wrote. I welcome your opinion and perspective.

Carry on. :th2thumbs:
Go Hawks!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":2qef7ojl said:
Simon got valuable game experience, and one of them is the biggest game there is. No rookie is going to bump him off the team. The coaches like him, and he has a LOT of upside.
It's been said that talent wise he's probably our most physically talented CB.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't think he sucks, and I've repeatedly said that missing all last year affected him with a lack of reps, and like Largent80 said, he was basically a rook last year.

He has tons of talent, and like MHGal said, he might be our most physically talented CB. That said, he's had a hard time staying healthy, he looks mentally unprepared every time he steps in for someone due to injury, yet when he knows he's going to be the starter he looks a ton better....which to me says he doesn't know how to prepare well. Yet.

Throw in the problems at LSU with his work ethic, and there are reasons for concern. Even so, you can see the progression as he got more and more game time last year.

My biggest issue with Simon is the same one with Okung: I don't doubt the player's talent level, I doubt the ability to stay on the field. Being the most talented one on the bench in street clothes means nothing.

As for the Superbowl, the reason that the Pats WRs are so damned hard to defend is that they will often times go 3 or 4 wide and ALL of them run an option route, which means they look at how the defense lines up and decide at the LOS what route they are going to run. It's probably the best way to attack our secondary, which is very cerebral and knows formation and personnel tendencies. Combined with Brady, it makes it very very difficult to defend.

My biggest problem about the SB is that if Simon really was pretty injured, why didn't they activate Burley instead? Like posters have previously mentioned, the Pats WR corps were mostly smaller, quicker guys that match up well against our taller lankier CBs. Having a smaller quicker Nickle CB active should've been preferrable to a bigger, less agile guy that was already injured. Then again hindsight and all that.

netskier

Reaction score
My guess is that they wanted tall depth for the outside corners, particularly for Sherman with his hyperextended elbow, assuming that happened in the prior game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
For the most part I agree but even if Simon is 100% healthy .. Julian Edelman is an awful matchup for him given the two players size.

It was puzzling that Burley was inactive, but given the injuries to the entire secondary.. they had to keep an extra safety active just in case.

We just had the injuries pile up at the worst possible time.