Pete Carroll and his BONEHEAD moves.

titan3131

Reaction score
I am not saying Carroll isnt the best coach in the league imo, I think he is. Im not saying anything bad about him.

I am acknowledging a pattern and wondering your thoughts about it. And Just spitting his record out isnt a good argument.

We all know about the 2 popular boneheaded move carroll is infamous for.

SB 49 1 yard line...

and USC vs Texas in the championship the 4-2 call.

Apparently a similar situation has happened before where carroll makes a call that changes the end result of the game away from their favor.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nf ... 1422311323

I found this very interesting, and I pray that carroll has these all engraved in his mind and never loses a game for us on a bonehead play call.

does this concern anyone?

Throwdown

Reaction score
images

White Devil

Reaction score
Yes, Fire Him!

How does a coach that takes a team to back to back Super Bowl appearances still have a job for this illustrious organization?

We were much better off struggling for 8-8 every season....I miss the good ol' days. :thirishdrinkers:

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think this is Pete either (or both) losing confidence in the last seconds and wanting to put it away, or over-thinking the situation and letting it get to him.

He just needs to quit getting cute, and when the game is on the line, follow long-standing plays/procedures that have the odds going for them. Stop with the overthinking or as he calls it "getting hormonal."

There are examples of him doing the right thing though (even though he tried to do the wrong thing). In the 2013 away game agains St Louis, with the game on the line he didn't screw around calling time outs or "getting cute." Instead he let his defense play it out until 4th down where Brandon Browner defended a poorly thrown pass that won the game.

BUT, when St Louis called a time out, instead of leaving his exhausted defense out on the field, he was trying to call them over to him to tell them "Isn't this great!?" Fortunately they mostly ignored him because they were gasping for air and he let it got. But by his own admission he was trying to call them to the sidelines.

Pete needs to put himself in the position of his players more often. Like the San Diego game last year. "Well coach what about the heat and humidity in San Diego?" "Well they have to play in it too." Really? SD: White Uniforms, home team, acclimated to the heat and humidity. Seattle: Dark uniforms, players with IVs and assistant coaches standing on the sideline holding BULLETIN BOARDS over the players for shade! You could see the Charger players over there laughing. Ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, Pete Carroll is a fantastic head coach, one of the best ever, but he has the occassional tendency to let his players down. Even he has admitted that he has a guy on the sideline to "come and grab me sometimes." Maybe that guy, whoever he is needs to have a little more input.

StoneCold

Reaction score
ivotuk":kpatkvak said:
I think this is Pete either (or both) losing confidence in the last seconds and wanting to put it away, or over-thinking the situation and letting it get to him.

He just needs to quit getting cute, and when the game is on the line, follow long-standing plays/procedures that have the odds going for them. Stop with the overthinking or as he calls it "getting hormonal."

There are examples of him doing the right thing though (even though he tried to do the wrong thing). In the 2013 away game agains St Louis, with the game on the line he didn't screw around calling time outs or "getting cute." Instead he let his defense play it out until 4th down where Brandon Browner defended a poorly thrown pass that won the game.

BUT, when St Louis called a time out, instead of leaving his exhausted defense out on the field, he was trying to call them over to him to tell them "Isn't this great!?" Fortunately they mostly ignored him because they were gasping for air and he let it got. But by his own admission he was trying to call them to the sidelines.

Pete needs to put himself in the position of his players more often. Like the San Diego game last year. "Well coach what about the heat and humidity in San Diego?" "Well they have to play in it too." Really? SD: White Uniforms, home team, acclimated to the heat and humidity. Seattle: Dark uniforms, players with IVs and assistant coaches standing on the sideline holding BULLETIN BOARDS over the players for shade! You could see the Charger players over there laughing. Ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, Pete Carroll is a fantastic head coach, one of the best ever, but he has the occassional tendency to let his players down. Even he has admitted that he has a guy on the sideline to "come and grab me sometimes." Maybe that guy, whoever he is needs to have a little more input.

Talk about over thinking.

SC

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's almost like he's a human being and has made a mistake or two in his career.

Go figure.

Basis4day

Reaction score
You have to be a pretty damn good coach to be in the position to make bad call in the superbowl after having just won one the year before. I'm as angry about that play as anyone but talk about not seeing the forest for the trees by diggins up something Pete Carrol did pre-USC to look for a pattern of behavior.

Sorry he could only bring you one superbowl. Yeesh.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":3luvc7rw said:

:|

What would you have said if the Rams threw the winning TD here? Guessing "Pete would have been too cute!" .. it's funny how perceptions change when the play goes differently. Just like SB49, while I strongly disagree with the decision to throw a slant at the 1... if it works.. Belichick is the coach getting ripped apart for not calling a timeout and no mention is made of Carroll's decision to throw.

Hindsight is always 20/20

ivotuk":3luvc7rw said:

This take is so hot I need an oven mitt to handle it.

:34853_doh:

themunn

Reaction score
ivotuk":qp65grih said:

If he "quits getting cute" he kicks a field goal instead of Ryan throwing a pivotal TD pass, Chris Matthews is still hunting his first career TD because we kick a FG with 6 seconds left in the first half of the SB, he tells Russell we're not even going to bother trotting out the offense on 4th and 7 in the NFCCG.

What you get if you get rid of those is a passive coach like Mike McCarthy who followed long-standing plays/procedures to try and run out the clock and got lambasted for not being aggressive enough and letting the Seahawks back into the game.

White Devil

Reaction score
What was it exactly that Pete was supposed to do during the San Diego game?

That's home field advantage. The Dolphins have done it forever. Should he have refused to have his team play? Those weren't bulletin boards being held over the players. Those actually are made screens for just that situation. Pete and the Seahawks are one of the only teams I've seen use them. I'd think that means he's taking care of his guys.

Success has gone to some of you guys heads. :les:

What's next? The team plane should offer unsalted peanuts? :snack:

White Devil

Reaction score
themunn":d79uy9ir said:
What you get if you get rid of those is a passive coach like Mike McCarthy who followed long-standing plays/procedures to try and run out the clock and got lambasted for not being aggressive enough and letting the Seahawks back into the game.

Exactly. Might as well bring The Walrus back. That's by the book. A coach that stands emotionless on the sideline.

I'll take Pete and his youthful, balls out enthusiasm for the game and his players any day.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
Bringing up how successful Carroll has been for us is not what i want to talk about. I merely wanted to point out a pattern where we seem to lose BIG BALL PETE, and he mind F's himself into making overthought calls that backfire.

Board members reacting saying fire him sarcastically or not, you are not contributing anything to the discussion and it is not appreciated.

This offseason is slow until the draft and I would like something to talk about, if you want to be sarcastic and contribute nothing the shack and facebook are that way ------------->

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Better than having one of the other coaches in the NFL who make bonehead calls on a regular basis. That is one of the reasons why their teams never make the playoffs.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
And if Seattle scores, Belichick is a bonehead for not using his timeout.

Gregg Popovich had Tim Duncan on the bench when Ray Allen hit his three in Game 6.

Big time coaches make big time decisions on the biggest stages. Sometimes they don't work, and then those decisions will be scrutinized. Anyone can coach "conventional wisdom." That's why it's called conventional. The world's best coaches aren't afraid to put their rep on the line on any given play. The ones that play it safe don't last long in this game.

rideaducati

Reaction score
72-19 with USC
57-33 with the Seahawks...including the two seasons of massive personnel changes.
42-14 with the Seahawks once the massive personnel changes ended and Pete finally had the NFL team he wanted.

NO ONE has been better the last three seasons than Pete. I would hate to have a coach that never had the opportunity to fail on the biggest stage. I'm sure Cleveland fans would kill to have their team get to a position for their coach to have that opportunity.

The supposed best coach in the NFL has made some pretty big mistakes too. He was leading a game and went for it on 4th down against the Colts a few years back on HIS OWN 29 yard line and failed. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES, but very few get to make them on the biggest stages.

Pete Carroll is the best hire the Seahawks have ever made.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
I dont know if I agree that the bad calls are BIG BALLS backfiring. I love having the coach with the CAJONES.

To me it seems the Boneheaded calls are being too cute. When you become the Sicilian from the princess bride.

ivotuk":3k3hjzmb said:

thank you for a real thoughtful contribution. I agree with what you said.

Basis4day

Reaction score
titan3131":3e6vcw6a said:
Bringing up how successful Carroll has been for us is not what i want to talk about. I merely wanted to point out a pattern where we seem to lose BIG BALL PETE, and he mind F's himself into making overthought calls that backfire.

Board members reacting saying fire him sarcastically or not, you are not contributing anything to the discussion and it is not appreciated.

This offseason is slow until the draft and I would like something to talk about, if you want to be sarcastic and contribute nothing the shack and facebook are that way ------------->

The SB final play, A USC game in 2006 and a game from 1997 doesn't constitute a pattern of behavior. The high profile nature of the first two examples only aids the success of Pete's approach as it's his approach that got them to those games.

Ignoring the times that high risk plays worked in our favor (4th down hard count to Kearse NFCCG 2014) doesn't prove your point either.

Replying to your comments with sarcasm is an effective way to disagree with your points and rejecting your premise. It doesn't automatically make your arguments any more persuasive.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
titan3131":2fc1qhrn said:

So what do you want from this topic? Do you want to be the 5 millionth person to question the SB49 call? Fantastic. More power to you.

Every coach will make questionable decisions.. sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

In Pete's case.. I'd say more often than not they work. And that's why he's won a lot more games than he's lost while being coach of the Seahawks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
White Devil":27sy7a1f said:
What was it exactly that Pete was supposed to do during the San Diego game?

That's home field advantage. The Dolphins have done it forever. Should he have refused to have his team play? Those weren't bulletin boards being held over the players. Those actually are made screens for just that situation. Pete and the Seahawks are one of the only teams I've seen use them. I'd think that means he's taking care of his guys.

Apparently he was supposed to blame the loss entirely on the heat and whine and pout about it instead of saying "they (Chargers) played in the heat too"

:lol: :lol: