MMQB: The case for Kenny Easley in the HOF

aawolf

Reaction score
Kenny Easley seems to be the Seahawkiest of Seahawks players both old and new. Hard hitting, hard working, player that put it all on the line for his team. I wasn't a Seahawks fan in the 80's, and only a casual NFL fan, but I knew who Kenny Easley was. In the most recent MMQB article, on page two, several fans make the case for safties that should be in the HOF, as it has been a very ignored position to date. This post, from a fan, convinced me that Kenny Easley is due for an induction. I'm off to get some Kenny Easley highlights.

The case for Kenny Easley, from Shane: What’s the biggest knock against Kenny Easley getting in? His career lasted seven years, and during those years he was the most dominant, game-changing and fear-inducing safety in the league. The other great safety of his time, Ronnie Lott, feels the same way and has said as much in various interviews over the years. Easley was nominated to five Pro Bowls, was first-team All-Pro three times, was first-team all-decade safety for the ’80s, and was the Defensive Player of the Year in 1984, all while toiling away in the relative anonymity of the Seattle market. The reason his career was cut short was simply due to the reckless abandon with which he played. He fearlessly used his body as a tool to wreak the most havoc possible on opposing offenses during his time on the field, and paid the price for it with kidney disease stemming from his willingness to ingest ridiculous amounts of ibuprofen to stay on the field. Easley’s candle may not have burned the longest, but it burned with a blinding and peerless ferocity. The best way to gauge a player’s value has always been to compare it to his contemporaries of the same era. Kenny Easley was the best. Just ask Ronnie Lott.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/15/philip-ri ... l-draft/2/

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I have only one correction for Shane. Longevity isn't the biggest knock, it's the ONLY knock.

I get so pissed when I'm wearing my smedium Easley jersey/t-shirt from the 80s and someone asks me "who's #45?"

kearly

Reaction score
Good article by King. It's a bit of an issue that writers discriminate based on position so heavily in HoF voting. Almost every SB champion going back decades had a pro-bowl caliber safety, yet only one safety has been sent to the Hall of Fame in the last 26 years.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
In my mind it's a no-brainer, HOF'er! Kenny was my favorite Hawk in my teenage years. The guy played with no fear and was the best in the league at his position. For the younger Hawks fans he was the Kamtrack of his era, opposing teams feared him! It's a crime he didn't get to experience playing in a super bowl.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
He was the BOOM before the LOB. Easley should be inducted into the HOF. Dude was a beast.
[youtube]quxbCQ4m8Ww[/youtube]

ivotuk

Reaction score
Clayton was just talking about the dearth of Safeties in the HOF the other day. Someone asked him a question about Polamalu and Reed and he said it's hard for them to get in.

I think a lot of it is that people don't see the effects of great safety play. QBs know.

Edit: Reed will get in because of INTs and returns.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ivotuk":1a8nnwmw said:
Edit: Reed will get in because of INTs and returns.
Along with notoriety.

kearly":1a8nnwmw said:
Good article by King.
IMO, Peter King is the most improved NFL writer in existence over the past five years, and I now consider him to be one of the top few in the business.

Again, just my opinion.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I don't think he played long enough to get in. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't just that he probably will not get in.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":387ponoh said:
He was the BOOM before the LOB. Easley should be inducted into the HOF. Dude was a beast.
[youtube]quxbCQ4m8Ww[/youtube]
Thanks for that link. It's amazing how some of the great defensive players have that "look of intensity" in their eyes. Kenny still has it, Singletary had it, Earl Thomas has it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1pqtkq1n said:
I have only one correction for Shane. Longevity isn't the biggest knock, it's the ONLY knock.

I get so pissed when I'm wearing my smedium Easley jersey/t-shirt from the 80s and someone asks me "who's #45?"
This x100. He was my favorite player even over Cortez Kennedy.

drdiags

Reaction score
He played longer than Gayle Sayers. I call bs on 7 years not being long enough to qualify for the Hall. How long is long enough?

The man was feared by opposing players and coordinators. Todd Christiansen said the Raiders were afraid to attack him even after his health started to slip. Oh well, it would be nice if they put him in while he was still alive and cognitive but I have sort of given up hope. Even some of our own fans don't think he deserves to be in the Hall.

Too bad for him he didn't go to one of those named teams of his era. I bet the same duration and production and he would be in the Hall without a blink of the eye.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Being among those on this board who watched Kenny Easley played, I have to totally agree with the comments there from Shane.

There was every other defensive back in the NFL ... and then there was Kenny Easley. Kenny Easley was a freak of nature -- watching him play was literally like watching a man playing against little boys. Whether or not he ever gets in to the Hall of Fame or not, I'm willing to lay it on the line and say that every NFL player of his era will fully agree he was a Hall of Fame caliber player -- a special talent.

I've said it before on many occasions that Chancellor is the 2nd Best Strong Safety in the history of this franchise. If there was some miraculous way that I could be given a choice of having either Kam Chancellor ... or Kenny Easley in his prime as the starting Strong Safety of this Seahawks team, there is no question in my mind whom I would choose. Kenny Easley hands down, no hesitation whatsoever. He would dominate the NFL of today just like he dominated back then.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hit like Kam ran like Earl or very close to it, Pete may have had him play Corner on his team as a Browner type, except he would be faster and cover better.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":lyuehr43 said:
Hit like Kam ran like Earl or very close to it, Pete may have had him play Corner on his team as a Browner type, except he would be faster and cover better.
I wouldn't doubt this for one New York minute.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
People who say he was great for 7 years are being generous. He was never healthy after his brilliant 1984 season. He missed time the next three seasons and was never the same player. Still great in '85 but in clear decline at a very young age. Really only a hall of fame player for about 2 1/2 seasons, which is why he isn't in.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember the opponent (Raiders?), but Kenny was playing with a separated shoulder. Guy comes across the middle, Easley lays him out, doubles over in pain, pops his shoulder back in, and walks back to the huddle.

I am still amazed by that play today.