Would Hawks Let Wilson Walk?

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Gamesmanship, not brinkmanship. It's all part of the dance. Russell is never playing pro baseball and Seattle is never letting a franchise QB go.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I put this one on his agent.

He's reportedly a MLB agent that either doesn't understand NFL contracts (the tradeoffs in APY vs. guaranteed money) or is trying to earn his spurs as an NFL agent by being the first agent to get his player a fully guaranteed contract, which is not going to happen.

I'm not too concerned. He's under contract this year and we can franchise him in 2016 (and 2017 if absolutely needed).

In John and Pete I trust.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Agreed with what you're saying, but if true I wouldn't be so quick to put it on his agent.

I mean, on the eve of a new contract someone doesn't fire their agent and hire a baseball agent w/out any NFL experience without a purpose or goal in doing so. His agent works for him, not vice-versa, and I don't think you can really blame his agent for doing what he was more likely brought in to do in the first place.

If you're right, another interesting wrinkle is that I think many folks assumed the reports about a guaranteed contract came from the actual negotiations or from the Seahawks' side. We know for certain that they didn't come from the actual negotiation (the negotiations hadn't even started), and from the angle you're pushing those reports make MUCH MORE SENSE as being leaked from Wilson's side as a way to test the waters in the media and push the Hawks' hand a little bit (with J.S. quite clearly pushing back, rather than being pushed on it).

Sac

Reaction score
Russ is a great QB, but he'd be about as good a pro baseball player as Michael Jordan. That's already been proven.

Russ will QB the 'Hawks forever and ever until the end of time.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1shk0b93 said:
^^^^ Agreed with what you're saying, but if true I wouldn't be so quick to put it on his agent.

I mean, on the eve of a new contract someone doesn't fire their agent and hire a baseball agent w/out any NFL experience without a purpose or goal in doing so. His agent works for him, not vice-versa, and I don't think you can really blame his agent for doing what he was more likely brought in to do in the first place.

If you're right, another interesting wrinkle is that I think many folks assumed the reports about a guaranteed contract came from the actual negotiations or from the Seahawks' side. We know for certain that they didn't come from the actual negotiation (the negotiations hadn't even started), and from the angle you're pushing those reports make MUCH MORE SENSE as being leaked from Wilson's side as a way to test the waters in the media and push the Hawks' hand a little bit (with J.S. quite clearly pushing back, rather than being pushed on it).

He didn't HIRE a baseball agent. He already had that agent. He was basically running with 2 agents and consolidated.

Sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Wilson is likely to go with his baseball agent, Mark Rodgers. Wilson did speak recently with his former NFL agent Bus Cook, and praised Cook but wanted to keep all his business with one agent, triggering the change.

[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12043753/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-decides-change-agents[/urltargetblank]

ceej22

Reaction score
kidhawk":1oc2wfet said:
He didn't HIRE a baseball agent. He already had that agent. He was basically running with 2 agents and consolidated.

Are you saying he never HIRED a baseball agent and one was just assigned to him and when he fired his football agent he was somehow forced to use his baseball agent handle his football contracts? You act like he had no choice in the matter when in fact the choice is 100% his.

FACT: He FIRED his football agent and HIRED his baseball agent to take over his football contracts.

FACT 2: His agent works for him. If Wilson doesn't like the way negotiations are being handled he has every opportunity to fire him and go with a well connected football agent.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ceej22":83sjorni said:
kidhawk":83sjorni said:

Are you saying he never HIRED a baseball agent and one was just assigned to him and when he fired his football agent he was somehow forced to use his baseball agent handle his football contracts? You act like he had no choice in the matter when in fact the choice is 100% his.

FACT: he FIRED his football agent and HIRED his baseball agent to take over his football contracts.

Are you seriously not able to see the part where I said he already had that agent? All he did was consolidate from having two agents down to just one agent. A man in only one sport can get by with only one agent don't you think? The fact that he was the baseball agent is fairly meaningless. He's the one Wilson was with longer and he's the one he wanted to stay with moving forward. It means absolutely NOTHING in regards to these negotiations.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ceej22":32za4ssz said:
FACT 2: His agent works for him. If Wilson doesn't like the way negotiations are being handled he has every opportunity to fire him and go with a well connected football agent.

Since you added this after my reply, I'll reply to it separately.

Of course his agent works for him. Who says the negotiations are being handled wrong by the agent or the team. For the love of god people, It's not even draft day yet. It's not like he's holding out, there are exactly ZERO reasons to be concerned about Wilson and his new contract. There is no holding out going on, there is no problem whatsoever being reported as fact anywhere. The only FACT here is that Wilson was with the agent who handled his baseball career longer and when he consolidated (which is a smart move) he chose that agent to move forward instead of having multiple agents.

ceej22

Reaction score
kidhawk":1dci82nr said:
ceej22":1dci82nr said:
kidhawk":1dci82nr said:

FACT: he FIRED his football agent and HIRED his baseball agent to take over his football contracts.

Are you seriously not able to see the part where I said he already had that agent? All he did was consolidate from having two agents down to just one agent. A man in only one sport can get by with only one agent don't you think? The fact that he was the baseball agent is fairly meaningless. He's the one Wilson was with longer and he's the one he wanted to stay with moving forward. It means absolutely NOTHING in regards to these negotiations.

Yes, you said he didn't hire a baseball agent which is false. Doesn't matter that he already had that agent. Fact is he was a baseball agent and wasn't hired to handle his football contracts until recently. Yes, consolidating makes sense. Consolidating with a baseball agent when you are on the verge of signing a huge NFL contract does not make as much sense and lends itself to speculation that there are other motives besides they are buddies. You're kidding yourself if you don't think the differences in the CBA's and lack of experience negotiating with NFL GMs has any weight on the negotiations, negative or positive. You can bet Wilson had meetings with both agents about what he wanted out of this contract and you can bet which one told him what he wanted to hear.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What worries me a bit is the fact that John has chosen to make these early steps public to a degree.

Better to keep silent early on.... and keep the public sympathy card close to your vest.

ceej22

Reaction score
kidhawk":2742yfnh said:
ceej22":2742yfnh said:

Of course his agent works for him. Who says the negotiations are being handled wrong by the agent or the team. For the love of god people, It's not even draft day yet. It's not like he's holding out, there are exactly ZERO reasons to be concerned about Wilson and his new contract. There is no holding out going on, there is no problem whatsoever being reported as fact anywhere. The only FACT here is that Wilson was with the agent who handled his baseball career longer and when he consolidated (which is a smart move) he chose that agent to move forward instead of having multiple agents.

Yeah I edited immediately but you responded even faster.

I recognize that we know nothing about how the negotiations are being handled. All I'm saying is he hired his baseball agent to handle his football contracts for reasons besides he had been with him longer. Wilson is a smart guy and isn't just going to hand a guy a $120 million contract to negotiate based on that.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I really think it is hard for any of us to know what is going on with Wilson and his agent.

For instance- What if the conversation went something like this.

"Hey Baseball agent buddy of mine. We have been together for a long time now and I am about to sign a really big contract with the Hawks. I know you have been thinking about spreading your wings and getting into the NFL side things. Would you consider taking over duties to be my Agent on the NFL side also? I think this will be great, John and I have a great relationship and we are going to do something never done before, you in? This will be a great learning experience for both of us and you know how I value loyalty."

Hey I can speculate :thirishdrinkers:

kidhawk

Reaction score
ceej22":3irwhczc said:
kidhawk":3irwhczc said:
ceej22":3irwhczc said:

Yeah I edited immediately but you responded even faster.

I recognize that we know nothing about how the negotiations are being handled. All I'm saying is he hired his baseball agent to handle his football contracts for reasons besides he had been with him longer. Wilson is a smart guy and isn't just going to hand a guy a $120 million contract to negotiate based on that.

First of all, you say he hired his baseball agent to do his football contracts, maybe it's just semantics, but you don't hire someone who works for you. You can promote someone, you can give them additional duties, but when they work for you, you can't really hire them. He's been hired for a long time now, he's just adding on to his current duties

What factual evidence is there out there that him sticking with his baseball agent over his football agent is anything other than personal preference? It's quite possible that he only hired the football agent as a temporary stop gap measure while his baseball agent learned the ropes.

This upcoming contract is due to be huge. The payoff for that he's going to want to go to whatever agent is best for him for the long term.

I see the agent business as nothing more than Wilson making a business decision to go with the guy he trusts the most and nothing more. If there is evidence to the contrary, I'll change my mind, but I just don't see anything anywhere that is more than just conjecture

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":dfqzi8kc said:
This is all were going to hear about for the next week or so.

Marvellous.

Week? This shizzle could drag on for months, even years if they can't come to an agreement.

I don't see any scenario that Pete and John let Wilson walk. At worst he'll be franchised until he signs an extension.