Bennett not expected to attend Hawks voluntary workout

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
710 reporting that Bennet is asking to restructure his contract?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":1ttroak0 said:

That is what the article says, but there is nothing but an unnamed source for that, and there is nothing connecting it to his proposed absence from the voluntary workout.

We'll see what happens when mandatory camps meet up and when training camp comes. I'm thinking he'll be back, but this is exactly the type of thing Schneider said he doesn't want becoming a precedent when he didn't want to extend Lynch last off season.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
I wonder what would have happened if we just gave Marshawn the god damn ball.

If we are back to back champions does any of this shit happen with Bennett?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":srfgxq4y said:
Chukarhawk":srfgxq4y said:

That is what the article says, but there is nothing but an unnamed source for that, and there is nothing connecting it to his proposed absence from the voluntary workout.

We'll see what happens when mandatory camps meet up and when training camp comes. I'm thinking he'll be back, but this is exactly the type of thing Schneider said he doesn't want becoming a precedent when he didn't want to extend Lynch last off season.

Well Schneider may have opened a Pandora's Box last year when he broke down and gave Lynch more of his bonus. So hopefully this isn't Bennett pulling the same crap............trying to shake down the front office.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3k9xpmok said:
kidhawk":3k9xpmok said:
Chukarhawk":3k9xpmok said:

Well Schneider may have opened a Pandora's Box last year when he broke down and gave Lynch more of his bonus. So hopefully this isn't Bennett pulling the same crap............trying to shake down the front office.

Perhaps, but he didn't really give Lynch anything extra, they just moved some of the money around, which after the extension really means next to nothing. That was much more of a Schneider victory than a Lynch victory.

I don't see Bennett sitting out any games. Heck, we don't even actually know for a fact that he asked to be restructured, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

The fact that he already missed a non-football function Saturday due to a death in the family, leads me to believe he wasn't going to be there this week no matter what, so I'm not even going to flinch until it's a mandatory session...and even then, I'm not hugely worried unless it goes into pre season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":xpi6k5yu said:
Sgt. Largent":xpi6k5yu said:
kidhawk":xpi6k5yu said:
Chukarhawk":xpi6k5yu said:

Perhaps, but he didn't really give Lynch anything extra, they just moved some of the money around, which after the extension really means next to nothing. That was much more of a Schneider victory than a Lynch victory.

I don't see Bennett sitting out any games. Heck, we don't even actually know for a fact that he asked to be restructured, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

The fact that he already missed a non-football function Saturday due to a death in the family, leads me to believe he wasn't going to be there this week no matter what, so I'm not even going to flinch until it's a mandatory session...and even then, I'm not hugely worried unless it goes into pre season.

Right but if you're Bennett, or any other important starter for that reason...............what's to think that the FO couldn't move some of your money around so you an make more upfront than you were suppose to this year?

idk, hopefully it's nothing. But between the trade report, Bennett waiting forever to talk about it, AND when he finally did he flat out said "no one's really happy about their contract" this might actually be another link in a chain of him wanting more money.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2q3uvi49 said:
Right but if you're Bennett, or any other important starter for that reason...............what's to think that the FO couldn't move some of your money around so you an make more upfront than you were suppose to this year?

idk, hopefully it's nothing. But between the trade report, Bennett waiting forever to talk about it, AND when he finally did he flat out said "no one's really happy about their contract" this might actually be another link in a chain of him wanting more money.

I don't begrudge a man for wanting more money. If he asks, he hurts nobody, so if he did ask, I don't blame him one bit. Now, if he signed a contract and this soon, wanted to hold out of training camp and the pre season (or regular season) that would be a whole different issue. But as of now, he's not done or said anything to lead anyone to believe he's nothing but a team player.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
What part of the word "contract" does Michael not understand? It was posted here some time back that he wasn't even half way into his present contract. Players are all for following the fine print of the contract when they get injured, but are eager to "renegotiate" when they have a good year. This could get interesting.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":26ict6im said:
What part of the word "contract" does Michael not understand? It was posted here some time back that he wasn't even half way into his present contract. Players are all for following the fine print of the contract when they get injured, but are eager to "renegotiate" when they have a good year. This could get interesting.

First of all, renegotiating a contract that one side can cut isn't really bad faith. It's not like he's held out, nor has he missed any time that he was scheduled to attend. For all we know he'd be there right now if it weren't for a recent death in the family.

I really hate how the press (and/or fans) will take two separate things and put them together to form a conclusion without waiting for the actual facts to present themselves, or even an actual issue to be formed.

Mojambo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ih32fvi said:
Oh, God. Please end this offseason already.

I bet 49ers fans read this and think, "These guys have NO idea."

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Right now, this is not a serious issue. He is on record in a radio interview as saying he has asked for more money and they are working it out. This may or may not be related to his absence in Hawaii, at the Seahawks event, and now at these voluntary workouts. I doubt they will give him more money after he took less one year ago to play here. He made his bed by signing that four year, $28.5 million deal; now go lie in it, at least until he has played out the first three seasons of the deal.

titan3131

Reaction score
If he wants more guaranteed $ hes bonkers, but if he wants some more escalators in the contract then im down to play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Bennett's Contract looks like this

$8 million signing bonus

2014 - $2 million base (guaranteed)

2015 - $6 million base (guaranteed as of 2/6/2015)

2016 - $4 million base + $1 million roster bonus

2017 - $6 million base + $1.5 million roster bonus.

With this structure, one would assume that he would be more concerned with next year's salary as it's the lowest amount he'll make in any given year. For him to do more than just ask this year seems odd just by the way his contract is structured.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Danny O'Neal had an interesting point on Bob Groz N Tom today.

Drew Rosenhaus is Bennet's agent and has a very good relationship with PFT and Florio. PFT has yet to comment on this story. Couple that with a death in Bennett's family and i don't think there is a lot to this.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
As long as he attends Training Camp in July, I couldn't care less about this right now.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think they should restructure his contract and include fines for every neutral zone infraction that gives the opponent a first down. He'd end up playing for the same amount he's making now.