Wilson / Gumbel Interview

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I have to say that watching that is like a rollercoaster. It has it's up's and down's. Regarding his contract, he says that he isn't thinking about it, which may or may not be true, but at the end Gumbel says he is the best bargain in the NFL and what he doesn't say is that he is still on his rookie contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":36cu5q72 said:
I have to say that watching that is like a rollercoaster. It has it's up's and down's. Regarding his contract, he says that he isn't thinking about it, which may or may not be true, but at the end Gumbel says he is the best bargain in the NFL and what he doesn't say is that he is still on his rookie contract.

Russell knows he's still on his rookie contract, so not sure why you need him to validate that.

I like that he's not thinking about his contract, that means business as usual until it gets done.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't need him to validate his rookie contract. But Gumbel had some sort of gloom and doom tone in that last segment.

It is all out of our hands, I just go with the flow. I really enjoyed the interview however.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I really wish Russ would give up the Baseball dream. Damnit all. He is a QB and should stay that way. Grrr...

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1fvigclk said:
I really wish Russ would give up the Baseball dream. Damnit all. He is a QB and should stay that way. Grrr...

It's leverage. He knows that there is NO WAY any NFL team is going to allow their QB (who is expected to put in 12+ hour days studying film, both in season and offseason) to be gone for baseball. Deion Sanders could get away with that as a CB, but not the franchise leader of a team making $20mil+ a year.

So his choice would be to give up one or the other. And his success/money is in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2fwphe3f said:

He gave up on his baseball dream five years ago after hitting .230 in A ball for two years straight.

I don't even think it's leverage, everyone involved knows that's a bunch of nonsense so why say it? I chalk it up to Russell just talking out of his ass not wanting to admit defeat on any subject. Which is cool, it's what makes him tick.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ia1k3pg said:
Seahwkgal":1ia1k3pg said:

He gave up on his baseball dream five years ago after hitting .230 in A ball for two years straight.

I don't even think it's leverage, everyone involved knows that's a bunch of nonsense so why say it? I chalk it up to Russell just talking out of his ass not wanting to admit defeat on any subject. Which is cool, it's what makes him tick.

Yeah.. he is not good at baseball.

I think he either doesn't want to admit that, or he's just bored.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
It sounds like baseball is one of his connections to his dad, so I think he is justified in whatever he does concerning it.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't guys hitting .230 in baseball still make MILLIONS?

StoneCold

Reaction score
I hope he becomes a two sport athlete. It would be awesome if he played for the M's. Then maybe we could see a World Series in this town.

In either case, after watching that interview I am certain we will get back to the SB.

SC

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Largent80":2n1f27m9 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't guys hitting .230 in baseball still make MILLIONS?
Not in Class A ball... they make chump change and that's it.

Russell doesn't have the skill set at this point in time to play baseball in the Bigs. He batted .230 in both Class A short season (like the Everett AuqaSox) and also in Class A regular season.

He'd have to re-start his baseball career back down in the minors... and he'd MAYBE develop the skills to move up a level or two... or three. It's all a big unknown right now... but the reality is he's not ready to be a Major Leaguer now.

Perhaps in three to four years he might be... but even then, at 29 or 30 years old, at best he's a utility infielder earning $500k/year.

Football is his destiny. Baseball is his fantasy... and we all like to hold onto our fantasies as long as possible.

I say let him talk the dream situation (2-sport athlete) but it's not REALLY in the cards.

MVP53

Reaction score
StoneCold":2gwqk1ee said:
I hope he becomes a two sport athlete. It would be awesome if he played for the M's. Then maybe we could see a World Series in this town.

In either case, after watching that interview I am certain we will get back to the SB.

SC

The Mariners would make the World Series with Russell Wilson playing for the Class A Clinton LumberKings?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pr7t8aw said:
Largent80":3pr7t8aw said:

Russell knows he's still on his rookie contract, so not sure why you need him to validate that.

I like that he's not thinking about his contract, that means business as usual until it gets done.

Pretty much. QB in the NFL is the most mentally demanding position in all of sports. As a player, you shouldn't worry about what you personally don't control, and that's contract negotiations. Wilson has a ton of stuff to get right with his game still, and he knows it. He also seems like the kind of guy that when he does get his big contract, he's going to want to feel like he's earning it. Which means hitting more open reads and 3rd reads, getting his completion % up, pocket awareness, etc.

StoneCold

Reaction score
MVP53":2vxlm4is said:
StoneCold":2vxlm4is said:

SC

The Mariners would make the World Series with Russell Wilson playing for the Class A Clinton LumberKings?

No. Not sure how you came up with such an absurd and obtuse question. Are you a monkey?

SC

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
StoneCold":3jq0krq9 said:
MVP53":3jq0krq9 said:
StoneCold":3jq0krq9 said:

SC

No. Not sure how you came up with such an absurd and obtuse question. Are you a monkey?

SC

I find it hilarious that you refer to someone as a monkey, absurd, and obtuse right after suggesting that Russell Wilson had the ability to make it to a big league roster.

StoneCold

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":mlxhtbx2 said:
StoneCold":mlxhtbx2 said:
MVP53":mlxhtbx2 said:
StoneCold":mlxhtbx2 said:

SC

SC

I find it hilarious that you refer to someone as a monkey, absurd, and obtuse right after suggesting that Russell Wilson had the ability to make it to a big league roster.

I never claimed that he DID have the ability, only that if he made it to the bigs, and played for the M's, we'd win a World Series.

Are you a monkey?

SC