Seahawks Media Draft Grades

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I really think these analysts need to stick to the talent of the player when it comes to critiquing ones draft selection. I'm not saying don't bring up his off the field issues but to say Clark was a reach solely on past digressions is disingenuous. I have not seen anyone, articles nor television, arguing against or saying Clarke's talent and size was a "reach".

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
seahawkfreak":28n3f1by said:
I really think these analysts need to stick to the talent of the player when it comes to critiquing ones draft selection. I'm not saying don't bring up his off the field issues but to say Clark was a reach solely on past digressions is disingenuous. I have not seen anyone, articles nor television, arguing against or saying Clarke's talent and size was a "reach".

Quite the opposite. His off-field issues dropped him. He's a steal.

HereSoIDontGtFined

Reaction score
Analysis of our 2012 draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1163 ... rd/page/29

Grade: D

Summary

The Seahawks received our lowest Round 1 grade for their reach to grab Bruce Irvin at No. 15 overall. They messed up again in Round 3 with Russell Wilson after having signed Matt Flynn this offseason. Neither pick makes much sense to us.

Bobby Wagner and Robert Turbin saved the Seattle draft, but two of its first three picks were just bad.

MrThortan

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3tf1v1ph said:

Rating a player by talent and disregarding character issues only works if you are the number 1 pick and a QB :lol:

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
They won't take into consideration we traded our #1 pick for the second best tight end in football and our 6th round pick for Marcus Burley.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":1vhttzr0 said:
They won't take into consideration we traded our #1 pick for the second best tight end in football and our 6th round pick for Marcus Burley.
The linked article literally starts out with "The Seahawks don't get a Day 1 grade because they didn't have a first-round pick, but their grade would be an A+, considering they turned the second-to-last pick in the first round into a Pro Bowl tight end/receiver in Jimmy Graham."

chris98251

Reaction score
Good, every time the Mediots rate us as sucking at something we shine later.

two dog

Reaction score
What in the world happened to the old adage that you couldn't rate a draft until
three years out ? These fools are rating the picks literally as they are being made.

I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose, since some of our NET brethren pan the picks
made by our incredibly ignorant management as they happen.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
chris98251":10oxt2wn said:

We need them to hate our picks, it worked in 2012 and 2013, then we got good grades in 2014 and looked what happened lol

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1vhxapo2 said:
chris98251":1vhxapo2 said:

We need them to hate our picks, it worked in 2012 and 2013, then we got good grades in 2014 and looked what happened lol

I don't know how much the 2013 class worked. Jordan Hill, Tharold Simon, and Luke Willson have been partial successes. Hill has struggled against the run but has shown excellent promise as a nickel pass rusher in a few games last season; unfortunately, he has been hurt so much. Smon has also been hurt a lot, but looked good during the regular season. Willson has avoided injuries and had his share of moments, but has struggled with drops and blocking. No one else has done anything from that class.

mikeak

Reaction score
What is funny is how everyone on this board makes fun of the experts. Then you look at the draft thread and a bunch of complaining because the Seahawks supposedly reached for players. The reach is apparently defined based on what the experts said about players and where they would be ranked.

It is a big guessing game and the only grade that matters is how many players contribute over the next few years....

Rob12

Reaction score
HereSoIDontGtFined":3v9d0rpf said:
Analysis of our 2012 draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1163 ... rd/page/29

Grade: D

Summary

The Seahawks received our lowest Round 1 grade for their reach to grab Bruce Irvin at No. 15 overall. They messed up again in Round 3 with Russell Wilson after having signed Matt Flynn this offseason. Neither pick makes much sense to us.

Bobby Wagner and Robert Turbin saved the Seattle draft, but two of its first three picks were just bad.

This should put an end to the futility and idiocy of "draft grades." Such a stupid exercise. These "experts" open themselves up to look like complete morons.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
They get paid 6-figures to grade drafts. Umm, where do I sign up?

12thbrah

Reaction score
Need ESPN Insider but Mel Kiper gave the Hawks an A-

Top needs: WR, CB, C/G, DE

Let's start with this question: Will there be any rookie in the NFL next year who figures to be better than Jimmy Graham? In a health vacuum, I'd say no. And remember, Graham is truly the centerpiece of this draft as he came over for the price of the 31st pick and Max Unger. Every guy drafted this week has the hope of being a star; Jimmy Graham IS a star. That's a good grade on its own. I have to trust that Seattle has vetted Frank Clark's off-field problems and feels comfortable bringing him in. Assuming he's OK there, the value is pretty fair and they could use the pass-rushing help. The pick of Tyler Lockett (they moved up for him) is one of my favorites in the entire draft. The guy is just always open, and anybody who watched the Super Bowl knows how much the Seahawks need pass-catchers who can create some separation. This is your guy. From there you see some decent bets on offensive line help, which we know is an obvious need area. Overall, the combination of adding Graham and Lockett plus the attempt to improve things with some new competitors to win jobs along the offensive line makes this draft a pretty good one for the Seahawks, who seem to always have a developmental plan for their picks. We often have players graded differently, but they know how to coach them up.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
12thbrah":3cdd9g0m said:

Let's start with this question: Will there be any rookie in the NFL next year who figures to be better than Jimmy Graham? In a health vacuum, I'd say no. And remember, Graham is truly the centerpiece of this draft as he came over for the price of the 31st pick and Max Unger. Every guy drafted this week has the hope of being a star; Jimmy Graham IS a star. That's a good grade on its own. I have to trust that Seattle has vetted Frank Clark's off-field problems and feels comfortable bringing him in. Assuming he's OK there, the value is pretty fair and they could use the pass-rushing help. The pick of Tyler Lockett (they moved up for him) is one of my favorites in the entire draft. The guy is just always open, and anybody who watched the Super Bowl knows how much the Seahawks need pass-catchers who can create some separation. This is your guy. From there you see some decent bets on offensive line help, which we know is an obvious need area. Overall, the combination of adding Graham and Lockett plus the attempt to improve things with some new competitors to win jobs along the offensive line makes this draft a pretty good one for the Seahawks, who seem to always have a developmental plan for their picks. We often have players graded differently, but they know how to coach them up.

That's a more than fair appraisal. I'm not in love with the Frank Clark pick and think four picks in exchange for Lockett was too much, but hey, this could easily be a B+/A- draft when you factor in Jimmy Graham.

Glowinski is a Day One starter at LG, IMO. Lockett is a dynamic returner and slot receiver. Tye Smith has all the tools to be the next great member of the L.O.B. And Sokoli looks like the next Sweezy.

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawknation2015":vhet9x3k said:
12thbrah":vhet9x3k said:

That's a more than fair appraisal. I'm not in love with the Frank Clark pick and think four picks in exchange for Lockett was too much, but hey, this could easily be a B+/A- draft when you factor in Jimmy Graham.

Glowinski is a Day One starter at LG, IMO. Lockett is a dynamic returner and slot receiver. Tye Smith has all the tools to be the next great member of the L.O.B. And Sokoli looks like the next Sweezy.

Am I the only one who's nervous that Kiper liked our draft? I never trust that guy.