Opening Day Starters

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Now that the draft is over, let's try to predict the starters for the season opener. I'm thinking we'll start with and see a lot of 2-TE sets this year.

Offense
QB: Russell Wilson
RB: Marshawn Lynch
WR: Doug Baldwin
TE: Jimmy Graham
LT: Russell Okung
LG: Alvin Bailey
C: Lemuel Jeanpierre
RG: J.R. Sweezy
RT: Justin Britt
TE: Luke Willson
WR: Jermaine Kearse

Defense
DE: Cliff Avril
DT: Brandon Mebane
DT: Tony McDaniel
DE: Michael Bennett
OLB: Bruce Irvin
MLB: Bobby Wagner
OLB: K.J. Wright
CB: Richard Sherman
CB: Cary Williams
SS: Kam Chancellor
FS: Earl Thomas

I don't think any of our rookies will win a starting spot right at the beginning, although Glowinski may push for time at RG. Lockett will by our primary kickoff & punt returner as well as our #3 receiver.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if Kearse is not a starter or even on the roster by opening day. Also doubt McDaniel is there at DT. Simon, if healthy may be the RCB

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't think any rookies will start, I also think Louis is ahead of LJ at Center. But I do think we will see some rotated in regularly. We don't throw guys into the fire unless they blow Pete away.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a hard time right now seeing any rookie as a starter. The lineup the OP posted is what I think will happen as well. Although, maybe a rookie on the OL if anything.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
blkhwk":cwr60rb7 said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Kearse is not a starter or even on the roster by opening day. Also doubt McDaniel is there at DT. Simon, if healthy may be the RCB
How does cutting Kearse benefit the team for 2015?

Basis4day

Reaction score
"Starter" is a bit of a mis-nomer. While the players you name are likely the "base" offense and defense it isn't really indicative of who will see the field most.

Doug Farrar really beats the drum that with the increase of the passing game in the modern NFL, the nickel D is the real base.

Exittium

Reaction score
Offense
LT: Terry Poole (I don't see okung staying healthy enough.. again)
WR: Tyler Lockett (because it ruffles feathers, that i didn't pick kearse )

Defense
OLB: Frank Clark (just cuz? I don't know.. he's a freak and needs to be in there somewhere)
CB: Tye Smith (Sherman being a n ex wr himself mentoring this kid, who imo is already better than simon)

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3499c9jo said:
blkhwk":3499c9jo said:

The fan base is a bit split on Kearse currently. I do think the FO likes him but wants competition at the spot.

The PC/JS Seahawks have kept 5-6 WRers on the initial 53 man roster outside of last year when they kept 7. We found out later about the Harvin issues.

So realistically in no particular order:

1. Baldwin
2. Kearse
3. Lockette
4. Lockett
5. Matthews
6. Norwood

Richardson is likely going to PUP which keeps him out 6 weeks (perhaps the whole year allowing other WR contracts to expire) and UDFA Austin Hill is certain to get some looks. Something has to give eventually.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think the OP's line up is pretty solid, but I see:

Glowinski beating out Bailey at LG. I think they want Bailey to concentrate on LT as a back up plan for Okung. GLowinski is more of a physical run blocker than Bailey is and if his pass protection turns out to just be league average, he'll be better than Carpenter and Sweezy already.

I think Lewis wins the competition at Center. Nothing concrete, just a feeling. He looked just as good as LJP when he was in there, with much less experience.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Exittium":2n0sl00n said:
Offense

Defense
OLB: Frank Clark (just cuz? I don't know.. he's a freak and needs to be in there somewhere)
CB: Tye Smith (Sherman being a n ex wr himself mentoring this kid, who imo is already better than simon)

Are you predicting the opener or the finale? No way Okung doesn't start the season and Cary Williams is going to beat out Tye Smith,

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Basis4day":31c5dog4 said:
Hawkfan77":31c5dog4 said:
blkhwk":31c5dog4 said:

The fan base is a bit split on Kearse currently. I do think the FO likes him but wants competition at the spot.

The PC/JS Seahawks have kept 5-6 WRers on the initial 53 man roster outside of last year when they kept 7. We found out later about the Harvin issues.

So realistically in no particular order:

1. Baldwin
2. Kearse
3. Lockette
4. Lockett
5. Matthews
6. Norwood

Richardson is likely going to PUP which keeps him out 6 weeks (perhaps the whole year allowing other WR contracts to expire) and UDFA Austin Hill is certain to get some looks. Something has to give eventually.
I guess I never got the memo that Kearse was all of the sudden the new .NET whipping boy

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Exittium":3r1op3yh said:
Offense

Defense
C41dbc4f8310f2c0033d5e6d1c1aee49dab8b00caec4d975ed

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
QB: Russ (duh)
HB: Beast
FB: Tuk
WR: Matthews (I honestly think he'll be what we all wished Sid would be)
WR: Angry Doug
TE: Jimmy
LT: Big Russ
LG : Glowinski
C: Lem
RG: Sweezy
RT: Britt

RE: Bennett
DT: Mebane
DT: Rubin
LE: Avril
OLB: Bruce
ILB: Wagner
OLB: KJ
RCB: Sherm
SS: Kam
FS: Earl
LCB: Williams

I can see a few things happen. I think we'll see Lockett in the slot, and Kearse in a lot of 4 wide sets. And I can see us going with a lot of 2 TE sets, with Jimmy and Luke. Also, I think (a big think) that Sweezy might be moved to LG. Just a hunch. He's on his way to bring a top guard in the league.

Exittium

Reaction score
Basis4day":26ykb95e said:
Exittium":26ykb95e said:
Offense

Defense

Are you predicting the opener or the finale? No way Okung doesn't start the season and Cary Williams is going to beat out Tye Smith,

Just like flynn beat out wilson to huh? Sorry I' not set on williams like most are especially since he's 30.
Anything can happen, and as for the Okung bit i knew it would ruffle a few feathers, I personally think he's a great player but the injuries have now taken their toll and he's needs to be done.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Lockett is a better receiver than Kearse on day one but I think they ease him in to start. He supplants him at some point and never looks back.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I think Cary Williams starts opposite Sherm.

I think Norwood makes HUGE strides (along with the consistency he showed in last year's TC), and takes a starting WR spot. He's got good size, hands and can run his routes. I think he and ADB could start. Sprinkling in Matthews, Kearse and Lockett.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Basis4day":3sz31xvd said:
Doug Farrar really beats the drum that with the increase of the passing game in the modern NFL, the nickel D is the real base.
And that raises the most important question of our starting roster... who will be the nickel CB?

Lane was last year when healthy... and I wasn't impressed by Burley in that role.

That's my only area of concern... as I believe the interior of the O-line will work itself out during TC and preseason. I really like the tape on Glowinski.

And I'll go on record to say that Tyler Lockett will really impress as a PR and will also impress as a WR.

I'll go on to say that he'll be a close 3rd on the team in # of receptions/yards/TDs at the end of the year behind Graham and Baldwin.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1pi9ayxm said:
blkhwk":1pi9ayxm said:

I could see Norwood beating him out. If Kearse is not a starter or at least 3rd WR, it will be difficult for him to stay on the roster. If Norwood, Matthews and Lockett come along like we all hope, there will not be many reps for Kearse. His salary may be a tad too high for someone who is inactive or playing ST's.

Wouldn't say I am down on Kearse, but if there are better guys, there are better guys