How would you grade the Seahawks 2015 draft?

Draft grade for Seahawks 2015 draft

• A

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • B

Votes: 54 48.2%
  • C

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

kearly

Reaction score
Obviously, it's way too early, need 3-4 years, yadda yadda.

But if you could snapshot this moment in time and throw it in a time capsule for later, what is your feeling about how good this draft will look in a few years time? Based on that, what grade would you give the draft right now?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I personally give this draft an A. This draft might compete with 2011 as the third best draft of the PC/JS era.

I think Clark has all the God-given gifts to be a star if he takes well to coaching. I'm not saying he's going to be the next JJ Watt but he shares a lot of rare traits with Watt, namely his core strength, his heavy hands, his nastiness, his ability to pursue, and his phenomenal ability to get his hands on passes.

Lockett can separate almost at will and on day one will have some of the best feet in the NFL. I think having a squirrelly WR will work well with a rabbit QB on those scramble drill plays. And even if he bombs at WR somehow, he will be a very good kick returner. The only tough part will be getting him on the field since he's somewhat redundant with the existing talent.

I think the biggest story of the preseason in 2015 will be if Lockett can prove to our coaching staff that he is more than a return guy in 2015. This guy is, in my opinion, already the most purely talented WR on our team. This is the kind of player that you have to find a way to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. I think right now, Seattle views him as being a backup WR in 2015, but if he dominates the 2015 preseason the way Russell Wilson did in 2012, minds can be changed.

Glow seems like a natural fit for Cable. His tape looks a lot like JR Sweezy, and his combine measurements were among the best of any guard in the draft. He plays nasty too. Really like that pick.

Poole kind of seemed like a whiff to me, but also seemed like a guy you could maybe coach into being another James Carpenter if we get lucky.

Sokoli has everything he needs to be another JR Sweezy story. Hopefully between these three guys, we get two decent guards which would allow Bailey to focus on playing left tackle, which I think is his most natural position.

Gwacham is basically Konz 2.0. He will have to break in on special teams as the team figures out what kind of role he'll play, similar to the route they took with BJ Daniels.

Tye Smith has a slight frame, very similar to Paul Richardson, but if Smith can add some weight this pick could be a steal. Smith is a born playmaker. Pretend Earl Thomas is 6'0" and move him to corner and you'd have the player Tye Smith was in college.

Ryan Murphy seems to be a hell of a football player. I guess he fell in the draft because he drops too many easy interceptions. He has 4.48 speed at 6'1" and is a very natural talent at safety. Looking into him a bit more it's kind of shocking that he fell this far based on talent, especially in a DB class that was reputed to be so weak.

I can't comment on the UDFA group, like every UDFA group you really need to see them in the preseason to know if any of them are hidden gems. I do like that Seattle got a fairly high number of UDFA this year.

On top of that, they also got Jimmy Graham essentially or the #31 pick, which even when factoring salary, is a way better value than any player that was available at that pick.

Perhaps more than any previous draft, Seattle targeted playmakers. Graham, Clark, Lockett, Smith and Murphy, all of them are big time playmakers. Seattle is the best team in the NFL in large part because they tend to have a much higher batting average on playmaker types than most other teams do, so for that reason I'm expecting this draft to yield a ton of value to the Seahawks, both short and long term.

Pete and John made little secret of how geeked they were for the 2015 draft back in October and November of last year. I thought that was kind of odd, given that this was a very weak draft in general, but now that I've seen the players they've walked away with, I think their enthusiasm was completely justified.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I liked it. This is the first time I was familiar with most of the picks thanks to Rob and Zach Whitman. I think Clark and Lockett will be above average starters for us. Locketts return abilities alone should be worth a drive a game or so ending in points instead of a punt. I think they got solid OL contributors that Cable can work into the line. The only negative is lack of someone to replace Okung next year, but maybe they plan to keep him or think that player is on the roster already. If Sokoli can become a Sweezy caliber C, I think he's a steal. I don't know much about the 2 secondary members but they fit the standard LOB profile.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
In a year when it seems a dozen other teams either dabbled or went whole hog after sparQ players, this draft was an unexpected surprise.

Potentially, this draft could boast 5 starters. Lockett, Clark, Glowinski feel like year one starters even though I expect Clark to be a role player at first, Sokoli like he will eventually start, and Alexander the UDFA linebacker might just become a starter.

Largent80

Reaction score
To me, the FO hit a grand salami. Addressed every position with a dude with something to prove. Some of them have already proven.

The next level awaits, but 1 day later I am grading A.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
The thing I like about all these picks, is that they don't look to have much extra weight. They are lean, quick and athletic. Seattle prides itself on coaching ability, and some of these guys will need to be coached-up, whether it's in their natural position, or something entirely different.

I give the draft an A just because of the confidence our FO has in its ability to find playmakers, players and athletes. I'm really excited for the next 3 years to watch some of these men develop.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
CBS Sportsline grade: F

As usual, John and Pete prove they have no idea what they are doing unless you count what the players will have done 3 years from now. You can't just draft to prove everybody wrong in hindsight, that is no way to build a team.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm way too lazy at the moment to list my reasons but I'd say C+/B.

On my scale that's very good, almost no chance of getting an A.

It does seem as though the FO made picks that fit the mold, not the typical mold but the PC/JS SEAHAWKS mold.
I'm pleased.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
At first I was "meh". Then the background information started rolling in, and I realized Clark and Lockett have the potential to be the steals of the draft at their positions. Lockett especially is Tate with speed and route running and in all honesty will probably be sending one of Kearse, Lockette, or Norwood to the trade block.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I went with a B, but some of that is honestly me not knowing enough about our OL picks.

I agree with everything Kearly said about Lockett, and he was the one real WR I wanted this draft. His college production is better than almost all (if not all) of our other WRs, and has been mentioned, he had a pretty bad QB.

I honestly see him making a huge impact on returning/ST. Like someone mentioned, I see him tilting the field on returns, with the differential between him and Walters being enough that I can see 1 drive a game getting into the Red Zone or FG range, where before we wouldn't have. This chains into Graham's production in the RZ and 3rd downs. I also think he's going to be one of our more polished WRs from day 1.

I also see us letting Baldwin walk after his contract is up, giving us Lockett filling the same role for 2 more value years on a cheaper rookie deal.

Clark fills a big need for pass rush and pass rush depth. I honestly think injuries and lack of pass rushing depth are the two biggest things that did us in at the SB. I trust the FO to have done their due diligence on his character, so I don't see that as an issue. He's not starting out his career on any substance abuse proggrams, and is starting with a clean slate. That said, he provides immediate help at the LEO in the run game and if he fulfills even 80% of his potential, is going to be very, very good.

Glowinksi I see as a starter at LG, like Kearly said, allowing Bailey to concentrate on LT.

So, if Glowinski starts ( and even just gives us Carpenter level production, which I felt was league average), Clark plays a productive role, and Lockette upgrades our returns a lot, we've basically addressed our biggest needs in the offseason (with the addition of Graham as well). Throw in that Graham trade and I'd honestly have to put us at an A- if just Clark, Glowinski and Lockette produced what I just wrote.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I gave it an A. Absolutely love what they did.

People wanted a focus on OL. Hawks drafted 3 guys that seem like perfect fits for what we do on offense.
Wanted pass rush? Frank Clark looks like an absolute beast on the field plus Obum is a great project whose upside could be special.
An improved pass game? I'm pretty sure Jimmy Graham is the threat we could have gotten plus speed and more speed with Lockett.
Improvement in the return game? Hello Tyler Lockett.
5th round CB? Check, Tye Smith could very well be the next great, underrated LOB member.
Plus their UDFA has got me excited. I think Hill and Slater could be real players.

They filled any need you think of and added some pretty good depth. All these guys sound like they're ready to come in and compete! Very happy about the results.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Almost wanted to grade this draft an A. It's really close. B+, really, but could still be an A- or even A when it's all said and done. The only thing that kept me from grading it an A was that I think we really wanted to snag someone with real experience at Center, and missed out. We addressed all positions of need pretty thoroughly, and snagged some really high-caliber projects at the end, which may turn out to be absolute steals. We also got what I believe were a few steals in the upper rounds, specifically Clark, Lockett, and Glowinski. I think things would have panned out better had we had the opportunity to pull the trigger on the third guy we really wanted, that being in my estimation, a true center.

So a B instead of an A, but hindsight could easily put this into one of our better drafts if that need at Center was indeed addressed as it needed to be, in spite of not selecting someone with that experience.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Almost every pick this year has good college tape or can fill up a highlight reel. It seems like a reaction to the 2013 and 2014 drafts were Seattle took crappy football players on day 3 with good combine scores and thought they could renovate.

The thing is, of all the 'gems' Seattle has found in the late rounds, only Sherman had bad tape in college. Kam was a stud at Virginia Tech and fell because he was a tweener. KJ was KJ in college. Same thing with Malcolm Smith. And Doug Baldwin. Maxwell is better now than he was in college but he showed good things at Clemson where his coaches gushed about him. Sweezy was enthusiastically recommended to Cable as a position switch guy by his own college coach.

This year I see a lot fewer hope-based picks like Fat Rabbit or Chris Harper, and a lot more natural talents.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Once again players are good and obviously guys they like. Once again I think they completely mismanaged draft capital.

C+

Mike 4G

Reaction score
I am curious to see how this all plays out. I am happy we drafted some promising players and a couple potential play makers. The OL still bothers me, mainly because we didn't seem to draft anyone to play their natural position. It seems we drafted a tackle to play guard so an existing guard can move to tackle and guard to play center and another DL to try and make the jump to guard? That seems like a gamble that could take a couple seasons to see if it will work or not. The game against the Rams should be interesting since it seems they have 50 DL starters on their roster.

My grade is C+\B- with potential for higher. I did like this draft overall better than the last couple though.

grizbob

Reaction score
Mike 4G":3dds68q4 said:
I am curious to see how this all plays out. I am happy we drafted some promising players and a couple potential play makers. The OL still bothers me, mainly because we didn't seem to draft anyone to play their natural position. It seems we drafted a tackle to play guard so an existing guard can move to tackle and guard to play center and another DL to try and make the jump to guard? That seems like a gamble that could take a couple seasons to see if it will work or not. The game against the Rams should be interesting since it seems they have 50 DL starters on their roster.

My grade is C+\B- with potential for higher. I did like this draft overall better than the last couple though.

Cable Guy :th2thumbs:

Mike 4G

Reaction score
grizbob":1hyyxtgt said:
Mike 4G":1hyyxtgt said:

he does know how to make lemonade.

gmor

Reaction score
I gave it a B. The picks fill needs and make sense. I think some of them will go on to be solid contributors while others move on to the real world, which is normal. Can't wait to see how the DT convert and Glowinski pan out.

grizbob

Reaction score
Mike 4G":1wm1ry1j said:
grizbob":1wm1ry1j said:
Mike 4G":1wm1ry1j said:

he does know how to make lemonade.

And combine that with the sweetest Kool Aid you've ever tasted that the Head Guy serves, the sky is the limit :179422: