#63 Frank Clark Michigan Defensive End (Football Discussion)

ivotuk

Reaction score
Let this serve as a warning. If you start attacking each other, you will get a vacation. No more warnings.

This thread is to discuss a Defensive End and any FACTS that we may know about him. Leave your judgement of others outside.

titan3131

Reaction score
I believe he was an every down player and as that he will be Good.

In our rotation I believe he will be elite. The best steal of the draft.

Kamcussion

Reaction score
I was jacked when they took him.. Then i saw a highlight of his first step absolutely freezing a LT and fell in love.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man twitter is a blaze today with Frank Clark news and talk. People are extremely upset about us picking him.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Watch the Wilson contract be announced to swing PR back in the Hawks favor.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Wow, I think I am gonna stay off twitter for the rest of the day. Lots of anger being thrown Frank and the Hawks way. Granted, the news released today does not put either in a good light, but man, lots of people angry.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Blitzer88":128491qr said:
Man twitter is a blaze today with Frank Clark news and talk. People are extremely upset about us picking him.

Seems the PI's article is getting picked up everywhere and the police report is getting everyone in a frenzy.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":360z0ml4 said:
Blitzer88":360z0ml4 said:

Seems the PI's article is getting picked up everywhere and the police report is getting everyone in a frenzy.

I think frenzy is an understatement. On twitter people are calling for JS and PC to be canned and Clark to be released.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2xd5kz7c said:
dontbelikethat":2xd5kz7c said:
Blitzer88":2xd5kz7c said:

I think frenzy is an understatement. On twitter people are calling for JS and PC to be canned and Clark to be released.

This is a serious issue, but if those people aren't also calling for the resignation of Tom Cable and Warren Moon, then what exactly do they stand for besides lazy white knighting?

It's so weak how certain people will only speak up when it won't ruffle feathers (i.e. Calling out a faceless rookie that we aren't familiar with). Real brave. I pay no attention to those that take an inconsistent position just to look good on Twitter. Either take a real stance or admit that you don't rely on your sports team to be your moral compass.

Rocket

Reaction score
If one reads the actual police report then reads the PI article, one can see a textbook example of media bias, assumptive reasoning and reporters ignoring facts not in line with their agenda.
When we drafted Frank I had a queasy feeling... but I don't now after reviewing the FACTS and not just the ravings of someone who allegedly can tell an arm thump from a head thump on a hotel wall.
I've been reading a LOT of police reports lately and have become quite familiar with both facts and bovine excrement.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I love his size as an edge player. We all saw what happened when Avril went down in the Super Bowl and Clemons got hurt before the Atlanta playoff game. You just can't undervalue depth at that position. Can't wait to see him in pads causing havoc for opposing QBs. He's also very physical against the run and relentlessly chases play.

Seafan

Reaction score
I wanted an edge rusher with the first pick and I believe they may have gotten the best one in the draft. I never expected that. If John and Pete are cool with him than so am I.

kearly

Reaction score
Everyone is so quick to paint this guy as a thug... I was surprised to hear how intelligent and eloquent he came off in interviews. Reminds me a lot of Randy Moss. There might be some anger issues, there might be some alcohol issues, there might be some moral issues, but the guy is smart, and he knows what's at stake right now. I think there is a really good chance he's going to turn into a hell of a football player and all the outraged sanctimonious types will seal their place in history alongside the Flynn loving hysterics from 2012.

This guy has a LOT of talent. He used to play safety in the low 200s... and now he's bulked all the way up to 272 and could probably play nickle DT if he wanted. I bet this guy could play almost any spot on defense if he really put his mind to it and was given some time to shift his body weight.

Even if he busts at DE, he might be able to transition to DT. Or he might be able to lose a little weight and try playing SAM LB. I don't think he's going to need to change positions though, he's a similar kind of player to Michael Bennett coming out of Texas A&M. Varied repertoire, exceptional core strength, outstanding vs. both run and pass.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think this kid will be a star. And the media knows it so they're sour their team didn't pick him up so they feel compelled to make themselves feel better by slamming this kid when the Hawks are willing to give him chance. Just like many here don't like the draft picks because there was players on their lists that the hawks didn't pick.

The kids fast, to me he's going to fit in fine with Bennett and Avril, almost like a hybrid of the two. The dude is relentless, when he goes after the Qb he drives non stop until he is there or whistle stops. I didn't love the pick, I watched the tape, read the PI article, read the report and now I love the pick.

endzorn

Reaction score
I don't see the ridiculous first step that people on this board talk about. I've watched a ton a video on him and his athleticism doesn't appear on tape as much as his sheer power. His get off at the snap is average and he doesn't show speed to get around the edge like Clem or Avril. He doesn't seem to have a variety of moves either.

The things that stand out about Clark are his motor, his very impressive arm length and the fact he plays like he's the bully on the field. He uses a bull rush on a huge percentage of pass rushes and uses his arms to maintain separation and then she'd the blocker to make a play on the ball.

I think he might struggle early until he learns a variety of moves and learns to use his arm/hand strength to fight of veteran blockers. I think he'll end up being a valuable piece, but I'm skeptical about how much he can provide as an edge rusher this season. I really hope I'm wrong.

As far as his domestic violence arrest I'm hesitant to pull out the torch and pitchfork if so many people are vouching for his story and character. I highly doubt Pete and JS would willingly bring this criticism to the team unless they were certain his story checked out. In my 20s I was a manager at a college bar and I witnessed a ton of fights and the statements from other witnesses often were far different from the way I saw it. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

justafan

Reaction score
kearly":329vophx said:
Everyone is so quick to paint this guy as a thug... I was surprised to hear how intelligent and eloquent he came off in interviews. Reminds me a lot of Randy Moss. There might be some anger issues, there might be some alcohol issues, there might be some moral issues, but the guy is smart, and he knows what's at stake right now. I think there is a really good chance he's going to turn into a hell of a football player and all the outraged sanctimonious types will seal their place in history alongside the Flynn loving hysterics from 2012.

This guy has a LOT of talent. He used to play safety in the low 200s... and now he's bulked all the way up to 272 and could probably play nickle DT if he wanted. I bet this guy could play almost any spot on defense if he really put his mind to it and was given some time to shift his body weight.

Even if he busts at DE, he might be able to transition to DT. Or he might be able to lose a little weight and try playing SAM LB. I don't think he's going to need to change positions though, he's a similar kind of player to Michael Bennett coming out of Texas A&M. Varied repertoire, exceptional core strength, outstanding vs. both run and pass.

Everyone here who enjoys the draft process makes judgements on players every year.I have never met or read anybody who is 100% right.
We all make judgments and projections based on past performance on and off the field.From 10 yard splits to size of their hands.
If Clark fails it will be because whats between his ears.That is usually what determines whether these guys drafted that early make it or not.
Decision making and doing the right things in life and on the field when under pressure is a huge part of a players success in the NFL.Those that cant manage that get weeded out pretty quickly.So if people question if he is draft worthy based on his decision making and judgement its just as valid as people questioning whether a man with arms that are 3/4 in shorter than another guys can make it in the league.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":k37lsbil said:
His on the field presence is great. Plays big, mean, and fast. I have seen him likened to a cross between Chris Clemons and Michael Bennett.
Hence the reason I want to squee. Regardless he's a first round talent that we're lucky to have. And far be it for me not to give someone the benefit of the doubt doubt or a second chance given that's practically the story of my life.