Did selecting Frank Clark cost us a shot at La'el Collins?

seabowl

Reaction score
Now hear me out on this. I'm not saying we had our eye on La'el but if we did, was the selection of Frank Clark too much to handle with the public outcry for 2 "troubling" situations? I know if it were me, I would have used a late round pick on La'el and said we will only let him play if he were cleared by authorities. Can't imagine what the press would have said during the days of the draft if we drafted both he and Frank.

Still don't get why we, (or any other team for that matter) wouldn't have taken a late round shot at this guy.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1l2jx0km said:
Or, it could be that they were just not interested in him...

Not interested in a projected mid first rounder for a major need position even in the 7th round? :roll:

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
seabowl":146hjrnv said:
dumbrabbit":146hjrnv said:
Or, it could be that they were just not interested in him...

Not interested in a projected mid first rounder for a major need position even in the 7th round? :roll:

Dude, projected means nothing in sports. General managers don't care what media projections are. Carroll and Schneider have a high standard. Perhaps they just didn't like him enough to draft him.

kearly

Reaction score
It is really weird how Seattle gets so much heat for Clark yet Dallas gets almost no scrutiny for adding Hardy, Gregory and now Collins.

I don't think PC/JS expected quite this much blowback from drafting Clark. It makes sense that this could make them gunshy about signing a possible murderer, even if it seems very likely Collins is innocent.

Regarding Collins, he can only re-enter the 2016 draft if a team had drafted him this year and he held out. Spending a 7th on Collins would only guarantee that Collins would be in the draft next year, at the expense of one of our late picks.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Doubtful. According to reports, it came down to us and Dallas and he chose Dallas. So obviously the Hawks wanted him and weren't deterred by the Frank Clark media obsession.

Basis4day

Reaction score
seabowl":2f016gsl said:
Now hear me out on this. I'm not saying we had our eye on La'el but if we did, was the selection of Frank Clark too much to handle with the public outcry for 2 "troubling" situations? I know if it were me, I would have used a late round pick on La'el and said we will only let him play if he were cleared by authorities. Can't imagine what the press would have said during the days of the draft if we drafted both he and Frank.

Still don't get why we, (or any other team for that matter) wouldn't have taken a late round shot at this guy.

Had he been drafted he could have sat out the year and reapplied to next years draft in an attempt to recoup his losses. That isn't an option as an udfa.

As far as the Hawks specifically. Is he a fit gor zbs or not?

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":z1zm0qz8 said:
It is really weird how Seattle gets so much heat for Clark yet Dallas gets almost no scrutiny for adding Hardy, Gregory and now Collins.

I don't think PC/JS expected quite this much blowback from drafting Clark. It makes sense that this could make them gunshy about signing a possible murderer, even if it seems very likely Collins is innocent.

Regarding Collins, he can only re-enter the 2016 draft if a team had drafted him this year and he held out. Spending a 7th on Collins would only guarantee that Collins would be in the draft next year, at the expense of one of our late picks.

People just know that Jerry has no standards or morals, it is expected. Been that way forever.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":pv56f759 said:
Doubtful. According to reports, it came down to us and Dallas and he chose Dallas. So obviously the Hawks wanted him and weren't deterred by the Frank Clark media obsession.

That was 1 report linking him to the Hawks by Omar kelly.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Basis4day":1ho03zos said:
Hawkfan77":1ho03zos said:

That was 1 report linking him to the Hawks by Omar kelly.
Ok

drdiags

Reaction score
Speaking of Collin signing with Dallas on top of their other controversial signings vs the reaction of Seattle drafting Clark, to me it is all about JS saying Clark didn't hit Hurt based on their extensive background check.

Folks may still have written about Clark's past but most likely would have taken the 2nd chance line with a little more benefit of a doubt. Really don't know why they took that stance. Just do like TB did with the rationale they used for drafting Winston.

Never heard that Collin was that close to signing here. May be why Dallas agreed to guarantee Collin's contract?

olyfan63

Reaction score
kearly":2c0bk4fd said:
<snip>

Dallas got plenty of scrutiny, at least locally, for signing Greg Hardy.
I posted a bunch about this in the NFL Nation forum in the Greg Hardy thread.
In the video, Dale Hansen comes across as yet another manipulative media psychopath who simply repeats unproven allegations as if they were fact. Like the agenda-first, facts-never mediots who spew about Hardy's sham "bench trial" as if anything were actually "proven" there.

The real reason there was no Greg Hardy DV trial in N. Carolina... lack of evidence. Plus, Hardy's accuser would have come across as a coked-up, drunk, gold-digging, celebrity-stalking, cheating psychobitch with a history of outrageous behavior if there had been a real trial. It would have been extremely bad for the gender feminist agenda, and their false narrative, for actual facts to come out. Ms. Holder would have been a very unsympathetic "victim", had there been a trial. By the DA dropping the charges and having Ms. Holder "disappear", it gives the appearance Hardy paid her off to make it go away, avoids real scrutiny, but still allows the national media liars to spew their gender feminist DV agenda as if the Hardy case was a classic example.

Anyway, here's Dale Hansen.

[youtube]ZHklC3TOVbk[/youtube]

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Yeah, Dallas got plenty of heat for Hardy. And difference for them is that they've been very open to having players with off field issues,etc. and they don't hide it one bit. Attention on Clark blew up when JS commented about Clark not actually hitting the girl, if JS just kept it simple and was like "everyone deserves a second chance..blah blah blah", probably wouldn't of been a big as deal. It is what it is.

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":xeskah4w said:

I think the reason is it isn't out of character for Dallas. If the Cowboys sign Pacman Jones, hush the Dez Bryant incident (whatever that was), sign Greg Hardy or Collin that's just part of their DNA. There's really nothing newsworthy about Jerry Jones signing a talented athlete with off-field issues.

PC/JS, on the other hand, put themselves out their saying, unequivocally, that if you lay your hands on a woman you'll never wear a Hawks uniform. Also, I think if they'd said they were giving Frank Clark a "second chance" or "shot at redemption" they would've taken a lot of steam out of the issue. Instead JS put himself out there, on the radio, saying that Clark didn't hit his girlfriend.

Apologies if this belongs in a different thread. Just my two cents on this particular thought.

kearly

Reaction score
olyfan63":3toyqh8v said:
kearly":3toyqh8v said:
<snip>

Dallas got plenty of scrutiny, at least locally, for signing Greg Hardy.
I posted a bunch about this in the NFL Nation forum in the Greg Hardy thread.
In the video, Dale Hansen comes across as yet another manipulative media psychopath who simply repeats unproven allegations as if they were fact. Like the agenda-first, facts-never mediots who spew about Hardy's sham "bench trial" as if anything were actually "proven" there.

The real reason there was no Greg Hardy DV trial in N. Carolina... lack of evidence. Plus, Hardy's accuser would have come across as a coked-up, drunk, gold-digging, celebrity-stalking, cheating psychobitch with a history of outrageous behavior if there had been a real trial. It would have been extremely bad for the gender feminist agenda, and their false narrative, for actual facts to come out. Ms. Holder would have been a very unsympathetic "victim", had there been a trial. By the DA dropping the charges and having Ms. Holder "disappear", it gives the appearance Hardy paid her off to make it go away, avoids real scrutiny, but still allows the national media liars to spew their gender feminist DV agenda as if the Hardy case was a classic example.

Anyway, here's Dale Hansen.

[youtube]ZHklC3TOVbk[/youtube]

Good post. I'm familiar with Dale Hansen, who is a bit of a blowhard, even if his intentions are very good. I line up with your thoughts on the Hardy situation. Though for what it's worth, JS pulled back from pursuing Hardy after investigating his case further. Could just be politician speak, though.

I guess my point was that the Seattle media went nuclear on JS pretty much across the board, and there was a lot of national criticism too. I heard more national criticism for Clark than I did for any of the players Dallas acquired. It does not seem that Dallas got the same level of reaction, based on what I've observed so far.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
If we could only go back in time and spend a 7th on Collins it sure would have helped. If I'm not mistaken he is now starting for Dallas.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Would have looked great in a Hawks uniform especially using our 7th on him.