Cheap vets to add

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Now that we are able to sign FA's without it counting against the compensatory picks formula, will we see a couple cheap pick-ups to bolster depth? Tarvaris Jackson comes to mind.. maybe Kevin Williams (who visited the Saints) or even Red Bryant?

Who are some unsigned vets you'd like to/could see the team pursue?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
None of those players cost the Seahawks anything to re-sign or sign towards the comp process.

If you are making a statement for other teams signing those players, only Tarvaris would count towards anything.

Bryant was cut.

Free agents ( like Kevin Williams) coming off 1 year deals aren't comp eligible, I believe.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
The Seahawks.com depth chart is shite, so I'm not sure who we have in the fold, but both Williams, Bryant, and Jackson are all welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":yvek0pms said:
None of those players cost the Seahawks anything to re-sign or sign towards the comp process.

If you are making a statement for other teams signing those players, only Tarvaris would count towards anything.

Bryant was cut.

Free agents ( like Kevin Williams) coming off 1 year deals aren't comp eligible, I believe.

They are if signed by another team during the FA window. Case in point Revis was with the Pats for just 1 season and they will receive a 3rd round comp pick thanks to him signing with the Jets in March.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":3h7y32bk said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3h7y32bk said:

Bryant was cut.

They are if signed by another team during the FA window. Case in point Revis was with the Pats for just 1 season and they will receive a 3rd round comp pick thanks to him signing with the Jets in March.

Wasn't Revis's Pat's deal technically a two year deal?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Chris Myers is probably the most obvious fit. Former Pro Bowl Center in a Zone-blocking scheme for the Texans. Has never missed a start in his career and isn't ancient (33 years old) but old enough he won't command a ton of money. He's the perfect stop gap until one of the younger guys we're so high on is completely 100% ready.

I'd also love to have Kevin Williams back as many have stated. He'd have to take less than the 2M we paid him last year though. We've got to save up all the money we can with RW playing hard to get.

Finally Joe Barksdale is intriguing to me. He started the year off playing "out of his mind" as put by PFF, playing as a top 3 RT in football. Then he "fell off a cliff" they later said and he finished the year with a negative grade. He's always been a talented guy and is only 26 years old. I would love to see what Tom Cable could do with him. Although I admit he may not be a fit for a ZBS team as he's not a super athletic tackle...

MysterMatt

Reaction score
DJrmb":1qva8xws said:
Chris Myers is probably the most obvious fit. Former Pro Bowl Center in a Zone-blocking scheme for the Texans. Has never missed a start in his career and isn't ancient (33 years old) but old enough he won't command a ton of money. He's the perfect stop gap until on of the younger guys we're so high on is completely 100% ready.

I'd also love to have Kevin Williams back as many have stated. He'd have to take less than the 2M we paid him last year though. We've got to save up all the money we can with RW playing hard to get.

Finally Joe Barksdale is intriguing to me. He started the year off playing "out of his mind" as put by PFF, playing as a top 3 RT in football. Then he "fell off a cliff" they later said and he finished the year with a negative grade. He's always been a talented guy and is only 26 years old. I would love to see what Tom Cable could do with him. Although I admit he may not be a fit for a ZBS team as he's not a super athletic tackle...
Yeah, Myers is certainly worth strong consideration. I'd prefer to have only one rookie on the OL at a time (I know, Lewis isn't technically a rookie).

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Anyone knows why Tavaris hasn't signed yet? Is the pending Wilson deal preventing us from signing guys (since we don't know how much money it will take)?

Basis4day

Reaction score
joeseahawks":vvnpoztb said:
Anyone knows why Tavaris hasn't signed yet? Is the pending Wilson deal preventing us from signing guys (since we don't know how much money it will take)?

We didn't want to lose a comp pick by signing him earlier than May 12. Jackson also said he wouldn't mind returning to Vikings in a backup QB/ mentorship role to Bridgewater. Presumably that means hes fine keeping his options open.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Basis4day":2mmcmq7q said:
Bigbadhawk":2mmcmq7q said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2mmcmq7q said:

Bryant was cut.

Wasn't Revis's Pat's deal technically a two year deal?
Free agent's coming off of 1-year deals ARE comp pick-eligible as long as....A) they spent the entire previous season with their previous team....i.e. they weren't signed after Week 1.......and B) as long as the contract they sign with their new team is for more than the veteran minimum.

Also, the reason that Tarvaris Jackson hasn't signed is because he's waiting until after May 12 to see if his market heats up (when he no longer counts against the comp pick formula) and gets a better offer from another team than the one he currently has on the table from the Seahawks. Kevin Williams is ostensibly doing the same thing, though he's also considering retirement if his best offer ultimately isn't good enough to warrant another year of playing.

vonstout

Reaction score
Justin Blaylock or Dan Connelly would be worth a look.