Seahawks sign Brandon Cottom

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/B_Cott_25/status/598233569954123776[/tweet]

From Danny Kelly at Fieldgulls:

Brandon Cottom only got eight touches in 2015 for Purdue (1 carry, 2 receptions, 1 two-point run, 4 kickoff returns), but possesses the athletic traits at the position that the Seahawks love. At 6'2 and 262 pounds, he's closer to that Will Tukuafu prototype of big fullback (perhaps the team likes this style?) and was the third-ranked SPARQ athlete per Zach Whitman's tracking, with a 4.62 40, a 4.33 short shuttle, 7.06 3-cone, and 33.5" vert. He's a decent runner -- In his career he had 77 carries for 436 yards (5.66 YPC) and three scores, but adds some value as a receiver with 16 career receptions for 188 yards and three touchdowns. He has 33" arms and 10.75" hands - both on the upper spectrum for fullbacks.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I think Big Will Tukuafuafuafufu was pretty solid (not to mention he can play a little DL in a pinch) but this kid is an athlete! Now if he can lead-block and Marshawn trusts him...

Seafan

Reaction score
Based on the highlights that were posted in the mini-camp thread I never would have guessed he had so few touches. He looked very productive. Great size for a running FB in college and he seems to have the athleticism to be an outstanding blocking FB at the NFL level. People may have their favorites with Coleman and Tukuafu but FB is a position that could be improved. May the best blocker win.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Does this kid remind anyone else besides me of Mike Rob? I miss that throw the the FB in the flat on short yardage plays when we had Robinson, it was money every time!

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Was hoping they would sign this kid after seeing the highlights. Could be fun to watch.

Jville

Reaction score
Brandon Cottom is a welcomed addition.

Three fullbacks and six halfbacks on the roster should generate some intense competition. The run coordinator, Tom Cable, has a lot to work with.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I love this signing. This dude could stick. He's got prototypical h-back size, and enough athleticism to be a threat.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Tough runner, keeps his legs moving. I'd be interested to see if he is also competing for more than just FB.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Reminds me of bigger, not quite as straight-line fast, but a tad bit more agility Marcel Reece, which is an all pro/pro bowler.

chris98251

Reaction score
Is he a Fullback or a TE ? He could be in there as a Miller type Blocker maybe. Or a H back that originates from the FB position instead of TE.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
GoHawks":3ktbw9j7 said:
Brandon Cottom - the fabric of our drives

Clever.

I would love it to be so, if he's as athletic as the tape suggests.

This signing further affirms that PC and JS want athletes that can be coached. If they've got the measurables, drive, and intelligence, they'll be a success because the coaches will make their job as clear to understand as possible. They won't ask them for the moon, just to be very efficient at a couple things, to do those few tasks extraordinarily well.

Would be cool if Cottom is one of those.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
chris98251":31816z1p said:
Is he a Fullback or a TE ? He could be in there as a Miller type Blocker maybe. Or a H back that originates from the FB position instead of TE.
Before this question spirals out of control with folks' odd way of statically characterizing and people start going off the deep end with non football stuff, he's a FB. However, that doesn't mean he won't cross train in an attempt to save us a roster spot (while we stash an extra body like Allen on the PS) while even potentially lining up in the slot or out wide a la Marcel Reece. Looks like he has the athletic ability to, but he's still a FB primarily.

I really, really like this signing though. Dude's skillset screams of versatility. I'm just not sure he picks up the nuances of the FB position fast enough, let alone anything else they want to have him try and pick up. That said, he may indeed end up the guy we stash on the PS, but I do see this guy being very valuable at some point. That athletic ability in that size of a body with those nifty feet isn't common. Not in the slightest.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DJrmb":3oe5yb9b said:
Does this kid remind anyone else besides me of Mike Rob? I miss that throw the the FB in the flat on short yardage plays when we had Robinson, it was money every time!

Actually he reminds me of that FB we had about 5 years ago....I forget his name but people were calling him the Bishop because he was "baptizing" everyone with his wicked stiff arm.

Anyways, he reminds me of that guy athletically. We cut him, Philly picked him up and he promptly went to the Pro Bowl.

Still, I'd guess Cottom probably hits the PS and we let go of Tukuafu after this year. Big Willy is still too versatile to let go though.

sutz

Reaction score
Even if he is just a "camp body" it looks like he has the skills to compete. About all we can ask for in May. :)

Hendo66

Reaction score
Hawks46":4ka5umwf said:
DJrmb":4ka5umwf said:

Actually he reminds me of that FB we had about 5 years ago....I forget his name but people were calling him the Bishop because he was "baptizing" everyone with his wicked stiff arm.

Anyways, he reminds me of that guy athletically. We cut him, Philly picked him up and he promptly went to the Pro Bowl.

Still, I'd guess Cottom probably hits the PS and we let go of Tukuafu after this year. Big Willy is still too versatile to let go though.

Leonard Weaver?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hawks46":kxh9yyil said:
DJrmb":kxh9yyil said:

Weaver. I was a fan. He was lacking in the blocking dept. at first, but that picked up and he was off to the star studded races. By that time he was a FA though, and then went to Philly where he lit it up and then his leg went the wrong way.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'll say this. I'm not really surprised we got him because most of the league sees the position of FB and is too snooty to give the position the recognition it deserves. "It's a passing league." However, Pete has generally sought after the athlete FB that can give you something in the passing game and even running game as a ball carrier and then coach up the blocking aspect. IF....IF you can get a player who can be a weapon to your offense as well as be a weapon as a run blocker (particularly if you have a top RB where their effectiveness can be amplified) then you really provide a weaponized variable to an offense. A LB doesn't know if he needs to lower his shoulder for a block and he doesn't know if he needs to run and cover on any given play pre snap. You actually see this on a long touchdown in the video above. Kid runs at the LB and gives a little hit and slides off. The LB is overextended anticipating the hit from a 260 pounder and he runs into the wide open for the TD reception. It's great execution and legitimizes the weapon, but that's only in one way.

I like this pickup. I never played FB, but I had quite a few in front of me for many a year.