I'm all in for an epic year with Tom Cable (interview audio)

Jville

Reaction score
I recall that Les Norton used to warn us about being careful what we wish for ..... but I'm throwing caution to the wind.

I'm all in with Tom Cable and what he is doing this year ..... it's what I hoped for .... improved overall line speed and movement. Lots of good feet and motors. This is setting up to be a potentially epic development year. Dare to be different and blaze an independent trail. :th2thumbs:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/598244158562635776[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/598245248536416256[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/598247565696438272[/tweet]

Audio >> Tom Cable on the Seahawks' rookie offensive linemen >>> [urltargetblank]http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9987240&p=1007&n=Brock%20and%20Salk[/urltargetblank]

Seafan

Reaction score
I agree. I expect to have 10 solid OL on the roster and a couple projects on the PS. The future of the OL seems very good and it couldn't happen at a better time. With Beastmode's career winding down the Hawk's will need improved play from the OL.

McGruff

Reaction score
Jesse Davis played LT in minicamp from what I recall, and Schwenke RT.

I look for one of the rooks to beat out Bailey, or for Bailey to be for valued as a 4 position swing backup similar to Floyd Womack for many years. That will put a 3 man log jam behind Okung with Bailey, Gilliams and Davis.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think Cable is excited at the challenge of it all.

It must irk him that most of his guys, more or less, have been disapointments over last few years.

Gallery.
Carpenter with his injuries.
Moffitt with his work ethics and passion.
Seymour getting poached.
Bowie in year 2.

Now Cable has a young, stable of athletic linemen, who are healthy, athletic, hungry and nasty. And he gets to coach them up in his own image, while learning from his own mistakes.

I think the goal will always be field your 5 best guys and if they can stay healthy together it will produce positive results.

Guys like Carp, Unger, and Okung are or were becoming injury risks that couldn't be relied upon to stay active. 2 of those players are gone.

So it's an exciting challenge to see what Cable can do with all the healthy, young guys, throw them against the wall and see what sticks.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
And now Cable has got two more of these converted d-line! He must be in extasy. We never would've got somebody as good as Sweezy in the seventh if he'd been drafted as an o-line. Who's the mastermind behind these players converstions?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Cable said something very insightful during that interview that makes an awful lot of sense behind why Seattle looks for athletic traits, toughness, and effort above all else when it comes to the linemen they draft. Most interesting part of the interview for me ...

Huard: "How much of today's college football, with all the spread and everyone throwing it all over the place (and not necessarily moving people at the point of attack) makes this somewhat of a necessity? That you have got to find physical difference makers whether they're playing D Line all throughout college or not?"

Cable: "Well, I think you nailed it Brock. I think that's exactly what is going on -- and I'm not offending or wanting to offend anybody, but college football offensively has gotten to be really, really bad fundamentally. And so you see these big bodies and you think, 'Well, he's 6'5" this, and he's 300-this, and his arms are this and that -- and then you watch him and he's not a finisher, he doesn't strain, and he can't pass set, and he can't stay on balance, and he can't play with leverage -- and you start finding all of these negatives. And you look at it and say, 'Well, I can go get a guy who runs a little faster, maybe jumps a little higher, that's got an aggressive streak in him (at least I can see that on defense) and just start with him. I'm going to have to re-train an offensive lineman that's coming out of college right now anyway. So, you nailed it. Unfortunately, I think we're doing a huge disservice to offensive football players other than a receiver that comes out of these spread systems because the runners aren't as good -- they're not taught how to run. The blockers aren't as good. The quarterbacks aren't as good. They don't know how to read coverage and how to throw progressions and they have no idea."
http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9987240&p=1007&n=Brock and Salk

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2iya4kzv said:
Cable said something very insightful during that interview that makes an awful lot of sense behind why Seattle looks for athletic traits, toughness, and effort above all else when it comes to the linemen they draft. Most interesting part of the interview for me ...

Huard: "How much of today's college football, with all the spread and everyone throwing it all over the place (and not necessarily moving people at the point of attack) makes this somewhat of a necessity? That you have got to find physical difference makers whether they're playing D Line all throughout college or not?"

Cable: "Well, I think you nailed it Brock. I think that's exactly what is going on -- and I'm not offending or wanting to offend anybody, but college football offensively has gotten to be really, really bad fundamentally. And so you see these big bodies and you think, 'Well, he's 6'5" this, and he's 300-this, and his arms are this and that -- and then you watch him and he's not a finisher, he doesn't strain, and he can't pass set, and he can't stay on balance, and he can't play with leverage -- and you start finding all of these negatives. And you look at it and say, 'Well, I can go get a guy who runs a little faster, maybe jumps a little higher, that's got an aggressive streak in him (at least I can see that on defense) and just start with him. I'm going to have to re-train an offensive lineman that's coming out of college right now anyway. So, you nailed it. Unfortunately, I think we're doing a huge disservice to offensive football players other than a receiver that comes out of these spread systems because the runners aren't as good -- they're not taught how to run. The blockers aren't as good. The quarterbacks aren't as good. They don't know how to read coverage and how to throw progressions and they have no idea."
http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9987240&p=1007&n=Brock and Salk

I just got through listening to Salk and Wyman’s interview with Mark Schlereth today. If you haven’t listened to it yet, I’d recommend it. They played Cable’s comments (cited above) for Schlereth during that interview. Here was Schlereth’s reaction to Cable’s comments. He had some very interesting ones of his own. Loads of good stuff …

Schlereth: I completely concur. You know, I have a tough time watching college football because the position I played is played so poorly. Um, and there’s not a whole lot of requirements. I was talking to a college coach just yesterday who talked about trying to do virtual walkthroughs. You know, creating virtual walkthroughs – it’s like putting guys in a video game. And I’m like, ‘Honestly, on the surface it sounds really cool, but the bottom line is – you’re not gonna have – you don’t get the feel of the game until you’re practicing at a speed that replicates the feel of the game.’ So, it’s really a hard thing and nowadays with all the spread offense, you see guys who don’t work – a couple of things. ONE, you don’t see guys who work in combination well together – and that’s a huge part of the next level when you’re transitioning to the National Football League. College football’s such a 1:1 game where the NFL is such a concept - all 5 guys working as one. So, you see guys fundamentally who don’t know how to do that coming out of college. And then the other thing is, with the spread offense – nobody hits anybody anymore. I mean, I’ll tell you what – I had a coach tell me, who went to an Oregon practice, and the practice, the Spring Ball practice, sounded like they broke out a pillow fight. They’re just running around – nobody hits anybody anymore. So, it’s just a really tough transition when you get to the next level , you know, and it’s just hard because the 2 games are just so different from one another. And it’s really harder to develop (in my mind) running backs, harder to develop offensive line, harder to develop in line tight ends, harder to develop quarterbacks when (basically) the fundamentals of football are lost because it’s all about speed, how many reps we can get, and kind of one-read, ‘Hey we’re going to throw the slant’ if we got press, we’re going to throw the fade. And, you know, you’re reading one guy. And that’s what college football has kind of become in many instances.”

Wyman: “Yeah, you know Mark I agree with you man that it’s become more about scheme. And, you know, there’s some coaches that, ‘Yeah, I’m going to scheme you to death”. The Seahawks, I think, are – they have a little bit of an advantage over other teams and I think this is something that is going to really start to become more – I don’t want to say fashionable – of getting coached in technique in all of the things that help you win games. I mean, those are the things that win games – is, the lower guy wins, the hand placement – all those kinds of things. And that’s what Cable’s teaching. They had Dan Quinn as D Line coach here. I mean, those are the things that they really concentrate [on] here and I think there’s a little bit of a battle shaping up between the scheme coaches and then the coaches that put guys in the best position and teach them – give them the tools to win battles.”

Schlereth: “Right. I think what happens often times is – and, you know, I always say this and I say it kind of tongue in cheek (but it’s real), um, you know football and genius are mutually exclusive events. Um, you’re not playing in the league or coaching in the league if you’re a genius. I mean, bottom line is – I gorged myself from the time I was 15 to be heavy enough by the time I reached the NFL to play offensive line. And then I strapped a thin piece of plastic on my head and rammed it into other 300 pound mens’ heads. That doesn’t take genius. That’s actually stupid. And you know what, I did it willingly. And here’s the deal – things that don’t go in and out of vogue – you know, we’ll have different systems. It’s the West Coast Systems. It’s this system. You know what, blocking guys … tackling guys. That never goes in and out. You’re always going to have to be able to do that. Moving a guy from Point A to Point B against his will is the essence of football and Seattle – the Seahawks – do it better than anybody else in the league and that’s why they’re better. That’s why they can make up for – we can talk all day long – they have injuries up front. They still find a way to win ball games and to run the ball. They have a receiving corps that a lot of people say, ‘Ah, they don’t have that #1 Dynamic Guy’ but you know what, they still find ways to throw the football because you have to be so on your game as far as defending the run and the physical aggressive style that you’re going to have guys bite on the play action, going to have guys get wide open, because of their physicality. So, there’s no question I think teams all over the league are looking at Seattle going, ‘We need to be more like that and less like what we did.”
Source:
http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9987314&p=1007&n=Brock and Salk

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3vhoe80u said:
And now Cable has got two more of these converted d-line! He must be in extasy. We never would've got somebody as good as Sweezy in the seventh if he'd been drafted as an o-line. Who's the mastermind behind these players converstions?
He told you. It's athletic ability and pure "want to". Cable is changing the bar for OL just like Pete did for CB's. OL has traditionally always been the place where you stick the non-athletic, fat guys. Not here anymore. I'm geeked for what he's trying.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":5x796xa4 said:
Lords of Scythia":5x796xa4 said:
He told you. It's athletic ability and pure "want to". Cable is changing the bar for OL just like Pete did for CB's. OL has traditionally always been the place where you stick the non-athletic, fat guys. Not here anymore. I'm geeked for what he's trying.

Cable's comments (and those of Schlereth and others) that I cited above are fairly insightful in to why he does what he's doing. He made it very clear that he's seeing a real erosion in terms of the skills of OL entering the league as a result of spread offenses that have become prevalent over the past few years. He's seeing guys who are playing offensive line in college who are slow, have poor technique, are poor finishers, etc -- and basically is saying to himself, "Wow! If we chose to Draft guard X, I'd just have to re-train him anyway. I might as well take a more athletic, faster, hard nosed, tough as nails defensive lineman and teach him how to play offensive line ... than to try to help a slower, less skilled, apparently less motivated offensive lineman un-learn years worth of bad habits." He's an old school guy who's try to recapture what's being lost in terms of fundamentals, skills, techniques, tricks, etc. throughout college football today. And I (for one) am constantly doing the Toyota jump over the fact that the Seahawks have one of the great teachers of offensive lineman in all of football in Tom Cable.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":nxzna5jw said:
MizzouHawkGal":nxzna5jw said:
Lords of Scythia":nxzna5jw said:

Cable's comments (and those of Schlereth and others) that I cited above are fairly insightful in to why he does what he's doing. He made it very clear that he's seeing a real erosion in terms of the skills of OL entering the league as a result of spread offenses that have become prevalent over the past few years. He's seeing guys who are playing offensive line in college who are slow, have poor technique, are poor finishers, etc -- and basically is saying to himself, "Wow! If we chose to Draft guard X, I'd just have to re-train him anyway. I might as well take a more athletic, faster, hard nosed, tough as nails defensive lineman and teach him how to play offensive line ... than to try to help a slower, less skilled, apparently less motivated offensive lineman un-learn years worth of bad habits." He's an old school guy who's try to recapture what's being lost in terms of fundamentals, skills, techniques, tricks, etc. throughout college football today. And I (for one) am constantly doing the Toyota jump over the fact that the Seahawks have one of the great teachers of offensive lineman in all of football in Tom Cable.

I love this insight, it makes sense, but hopefully no other teams are listening to this lol

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It takes real skill and talent to teach and coach up. Especially at the professional level in any field you can imagine. With that said I'm not worried because copying isn't doing.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2uluxvt3 said:
It takes real skill and talent to teach and coach up. Especially at the professional level in any field you can imagine. With that said I'm not worried because copying isn't doing.

Your right until a team snatches Cable away we are good for now.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3r81mjv1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3r81mjv1 said:

Your right until a team snatches Cable away we are good for now.
That's a concern for the future. Like when we win in Santa Clara this February. The NFL is such a year to year league so it's useless to worry about something that could happen in the future.

Besides I bet if Cable leaves we'll have it covered. Because you can't be hired here if you're just a mere system guy. You have to be able to teach, it's how Pete and the Seahawks roll.

kearly

Reaction score
Like Hawkscanner points out, O-lineman entering the NFL today generally have much more to learn than they did in previous eras. This is extra true for players like Sokoli who are starting fresh.

In the case of Sweezy, the high end athleticism helped him overcome some issues with technique to be a passable starter immediately, but Sweezy wasn't an all-pro as a rookie by any means and his story is very uncommon. Seattle did draft two very athletic OL prospects in Glow and Sokoli, but we'd be very fortunate if either one of them contributed in 2015. Glow might have a shot to start, but we'll learn a lot more about him once we see him in the preseason.

I do think the interior of our OL could be very good in a few years if this group develops. I'm a bit worried about the tackle spots long term, seems like Seattle almost never drafts a true tackle.

I think our OL performance this year will be roughly in line with last years, maybe a small step down. Hopefully the weapons Seattle added can help mask protection issues.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
^^^ I think it's a matter of health really. You get the same 5 guys to play together on the same page, you're going to start getting positive results.

Its arguable perhaps valid that Seahawks took a step down in terms of talent trading Unger and losing Carp. But at the same time your replacing highly injured players with younger, more hungrier, more healthier (for the time being) players. I think that's a great starting point. Those young guys might not be as good But if they can be coached up to be serviceable and stay healthy and active they are going to learn real fast and contribute positively sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
^^^
The benefits of staying healthy week to week lead to continuity which breeds better chemistry. The outstanding athletic flexibility of JR Sweezy and Justin Britt stood out for me during 2014. Both recovered and bounced back from others rolling up on their legs multiple times. Athletes who stay on top of flexibility in their conditioning programs have a better chance of playing every week. I think that was one of the lessons from 2014.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/598982935690149888[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/598983066846035968[/tweet]
I've seen little about an athletic offensive tackle out of Idaho by the name Jesse Davis. So I'll pass on the clip below ....
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/599029315523608577[/tweet]Note that Davis lines up and at both left tackle and right tackle in the above video clip.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Here is a tweet worth posting! ..... Not speculative or imagined ..... reality.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/smartfootball/status/599077625592700929[/tweet]