What QB might we draft or sign next year? other than

Marlin Man

Reaction score
some back up, that will never see the field- like last year.

We pulled the rabbit out of the hat with Wilson- might they do it again?

Seriously

M.M.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Marlin Man":1n6khg9b said:

Seriously

M.M.
Historically and Aros' s 8-ball says not only no, but c'mon man.

:roll:

netskier

Reaction score
BJ Daniels is our current number two.

RJ Archer, 27, six two, 217, is our number three.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Marlin Man":ev0vazw3 said:

Seriously

M.M.
If Wilson ended up leaving the Seahawks we would have several free agent options. Philip Rivers is the first option that comes to mind. He has made it known that he is not happy with San Diego, I think if he is available in this scenario we should at least test the waters. He may be immobile but he is very good at getting the ball out of his hands quick, and like Wilson, he has one of the best deep balls in the league. If we could get him at around 16 million per year with a backlogged contract he would be a good option.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is also an option as he is a free agent next year. I think he would do well in Seattle's offense. While he may not be Wilson, I think that he could at least manage the game, and keep the spot warm until we find a suitable replacement. This season he threw 17 touchdowns, and only 8 INTs, had almost 8 yards per attempt, and held a respectable 95.7 QB rating.

As far as the draft goes Connor Cook is currently looked at as the number 1 QB prospect. I doubt with our team that we would be in the position to draft him with Fitzpatrick or Rivers at the helm.

Tical21

Reaction score
Fitzpatrick is not our style. Guy is historically a turnover machine and can't go deep. I would still put the chance of Russell Wilson not being our QB in five years at 0.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":tjohyofg said:
Fitzpatrick is not our style. Guy is historically a turnover machine and can't go deep. I would still put the chance of Russell Wilson not being our QB in five years at 0.
Fitzpatrick stinks.

Rivers is a short game passer.

And projecting a college QB who is still in college?

SpinDoctor has been sniffing glue.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Well, to be honest Spin Doctor has been pretty straight up. Just look at his screen name. And Tical21, I've come to realize, is .Net's own personal Grumpy Cat, it's all good.

Being a Grumpy Cat can be a good thing. If for no other reason than to provide a counterpoint and some interesting discussion points. The trouble comes when it crosses the line. I'm not saying anyone has so don't worry. Just some food for thought.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3hmt1vtz said:
Tical21":3hmt1vtz said:
Fitzpatrick stinks.

Rivers is a short game passer.

And projecting a college QB who is still in college?

SpinDoctor has been sniffing glue.
We're talking about a scenario where Wilson is no longer on the team in 2016. In this scenario we do not have very many choices. Fitzpatrick is a serviceable, cheap QB that would be a good placeholder for the Seahawks. Having him as our signal caller in 2016 is not an ideal scenario by any means, but I think the Seahawks could make it work in the event that Wilson and the Seahawks part ways. I am by no means saying that Fitzpatrick is better than Wilson, because that is simply not the case. He's just a better option than T-Jack, and he has shown that in the right system he can take care of the ball, and play the role of game manager.

I don't get where you're getting "short game passer". Most Quarterbacks that play in heavily pass oriented system throw a bunch of short passes. They use those short passes almost like the running game in some instances. A good example is what the Patriots did against the Seahawks. Those same concepts are implemented by most offenses in the NFL. In some cases it's almost like an extended handoff, and in actuality the Seahawks started implementing those kinds of passes in the offense last year.

While Rivers uses these kinds of passes on a regular basis, he has also proven to be adept at throwing the deep ball and beating the blitz. While he does not have the strongest arm strength, his intermediate and deep throws are accurate. He's also had a higher yards/average than Wilson's best yards per average four times in his career. You don't get that by just throwing short slants, and bubble screens. I think he would be a good fit for the Seahawks, though we would have to tell him to take less chances.

Keep in mind, this thread is all about hypotheticals. I'm not saying we should do these things, I was just presenting options, which is what the OP asked for in the event that Wilson is not signed. How likely is that to happen? Not very. That being said I think Philip Rivers would be the best chance we have to immediately replace Russell Wilson if he does leave, and Rivers is available. There is simply not a better option out there if there is falling out between Wilson, and the FO.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I would kick the first couple puppies I see if we signed Fitzpatrick to be our starting quarterback.

King Dog

Reaction score
I've been a fan since I don't know, maybe 1983. Our best qb's have been Hass, Krieg and Wilson (and Moon for a few years) in no particular order. Relax. Wilson is going to be here a looooong time :)

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":bb8c3b9s said:
I would kick the first couple puppies I see if we signed Fitzpatrick to be our starting quarterback.
We could do a lot worse than Fitzpatrick, trust me. Unfortunately if Wilson leaves we may be stuck with a Fitzpatrick type for a year. We could do much worse than that in my opinion. I think the Seahawks could at least win 9 games with Fitzpatrick in their current form.

cheese22

Reaction score
If Wilson doesn't stay and the rest of the team stays in tact, we'll get a much better option than Fitzpatrick for our QB. I think ANY non-starter and maybe a few starters would do anything to inherit this team as it is. The defense has proven it can carry the offense through some bad stretches. I think it's crazy to think Ryan Fitzpatrick would be the best QB we could sign if the only change to this team is losing Wilson.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
cheese22":alpsjbv7 said:
If Wilson doesn't stay and the rest of the team stays in tact, we'll get a much better option than Fitzpatrick for our QB. I think ANY non-starter and maybe a few starters would do anything to inherit this team as it is. The defense has proven it can carry the offense through some bad stretches. I think it's crazy to think Ryan Fitzpatrick would be the best QB we could sign if the only change to this team is losing Wilson.
The question is who? There is a chance that Eli Manning, and Philip Rivers MAY become available, but I think that is wishful thinking. Between the two QB's I think Rivers is the player most likely to leave his team. There is also the potential that he gets franchised which would effectively take him off of the market. Cam Newton is likely going to be re upped by the Panthers. After this first tier of QB's then we get the likes of Bradford, Henne, Stanton, Ponder, Foles, Osweiler, oh hell here is just a list: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ ... arterback/

As you can see there are not a lot of potential starters in that list of candidates. You may get a chance at a players such as Bradford, and Foles or you may not depending on how they play. If you're lucky perhaps an old dog such as Peyton Manning will become a cap casualty. I think even as an old QB he could be a viable option with the right offense around him. The good thing is, Manning can essentially put together his own playbook if need be! He can step in for the fictitious prodigal son, Wilson and replace Bevell at the same time!!! After those options you're stuck with never-beens and has-beens. If Rivers, Bradford, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, and Foles stay with their respective teams, then Fitzgerald realistically becomes one of the better options in this scenario. Perhaps if you're lucky you get a chance at Kirk Cousins, whom has yielded mixed results when starting. He can be either REALLY good or REALLY bad. Not a very good market for QB's in free agency unless Rivers becomes available.

It isn't about who is willing to play for the Seahawks and who is not, that is only part of the equation. It mostly is who is available at the time. As you can see by the list that there is slim pickings, though I must say I would be willing to give Cousins a shot. He looks to have the most potential to be a bonafide starter out the third tier FA offerings. I think that Carroll would be weary of the guy, because he has the tendency to make bonehead mistakes, and take chances. He almost reminds me of Hasselbeck when he first came to Seattle.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Phillips Rivers would of been my choice too. Matt Flynn I mean Ryan Fitzpatrick had an easy schedule and couldn't help put games away. Ryan playing against the NFC West might make him retire sooner.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I always thought Russell is a team first guy. But these rumors have kindof changed my opinion of him.
I understand football and all (injury, short career, ... etc). But I thought guy wants to win. And to win, you need a team.
I wonder if Bennet reaction is the result of Russell wanting to get paid top money, while other guys seem to have taken team friendly deals.