Bobby Wagner

saroos

Reaction score
Does anyone think we should skip Wilson's contract and extend Bobby's contract first. I think we end up tagging Wilson. I for one don't want to risk losing Wagner with no extension signed and no tag available because of Wilson using it. I for one don't want to lose Wags. What does everyone else think.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
There is no skipping contract talks. They are dealing with both now among quite a few other things. It's not like the only the thing the FO is doing is working on Wilson's contract. They can work on multiple fronts at one time.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I want both in Seattle for a long time. But if I had to choose, I'd trade Wilson if an extension can't get done and get the haul of the century, and use that money for Wagner.

But I'm still pretty certain both will get extensions.

seabowl

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":15ud0o17 said:
I want both in Seattle for a long time. But if I had to choose, I'd trade Wilson if an extension can't get done and get the haul of the century, and use that money for Wagner.

There is only one Wilson that this team has had since it came into existence in the 70's and no way would trade him. He is a magic man with his feet and decision making. No one out there like him.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
seabowl":6adjcs27 said:
dumbrabbit":6adjcs27 said:

There is only one Wilson that this team has had since it came into existence in the 70's and no way would trade him. He is a magic man with his feet and decision making. No one out there like him.

Agreed. We haven't had a QB like him in the 39 years of this franchise. If the Hawks don't lock him up long term, it's just beyond silly.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3mrcqdy7 said:

Hahahahahahaha

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Reaneypark":kmwmmxf6 said:
seabowl":kmwmmxf6 said:
dumbrabbit":kmwmmxf6 said:

Agreed. We haven't had a QB like him in the 39 years of this franchise. If the Hawks don't lock him up long term, it's just beyond silly.

Wasn't really expecting another Wilson thread, tbh but since we're talking here,

As much as I want Wilson in Seattle, the reason they have that defense is because of his rookie contract. You can't pay both Wilson and Wagner $20M a year. Choices have to be made. 2 firsts and a second sounds pretty enticing along with setting back a club with a large contract. Use one of those firsts to get a 2nd and mid round picks that Schneider loves.

I bet I'm just wasting my time talking, but I'm not willing to pay $20M a year for Wilson. I was once in that camp, but I've come to realize you're probably going to sacrifice some depth on defense which will not be a good thing if Wilson gets $20M a year. Perhaps they can get Wagner too, but not without consequences.

Anyway, at least I'm talking on forum threads and not the GM.

mikeak

Reaction score
Graham, Lockett, Richardsson

If the philosophy changes and we attack more through the air then we can afford a drop-off on the defensive side

v1rotv2

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1rylumx9 said:

This post makes no sense. No team would ever trade a Super Bowl winning QB over a MLB. There is no reason in the world that would even make that a viable option. OK, let's say we did and we hauled in a ton of draft picks. Now what? When is the next time you'll ever be considered a Super Bowl contender?

With Wilson at the helm we have been to two Super Bowls and are already favored to be in this season's big game.

Good MLBs are much easier to find than Super Bowl winning QBs. I understand Wilson has a great supporting cast and did not get to the Super Bowl all by himself but we have never had QB like him.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
v1rotv2":2dxccd3f said:
dumbrabbit":2dxccd3f said:

This post makes no sense. No team would ever trade a Super Bowl winning QB over a MLB. There is no reason in the world that would even make that a viable option. OK, let's say we did and we hauled in a ton of draft picks. Now what? When is the next time you'll ever be considered a Super Bowl contender?

With Wilson at the helm we have been to two Super Bowls and are already favored to be in this season's big game.

Good MLBs are much easier to find than Super Bowl winning QBs. I understand Wilson has a great supporting cast and did not get to the Super Bowl all by himself but we have never had QB like him.

this- i love wags.... but trade RW to keep him? that's beyond stupid son.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
saroos":2ueld3nf said:
Does anyone think we should skip Wilson's contract and extend Bobby's contract first. I think we end up tagging Wilson. I for one don't want to risk losing Wagner with no extension signed and no tag available because of Wilson using it. I for one don't want to lose Wags. What does everyone else think.

The Philadeliphia Eagles had the best defense in the NFL history from 1988 - 1994 (Not all their seasons were rank #1 defense), one thing that comes to mind, the salary cap didn't begin until 1994. So they were able to load up pretty good defensive players, in this era you have to balance things out.

What' I've notice on there is that from that time they relied on the defense and did ok with Randall Cunningham. With a really good defense and Randall Cunningham they will get you to the Wildcard game, but most often than not will lose that 1st game up until 2000.

2000 started with Donovan Mcnab and a top 10 defense and guess what, they actually made it past the wildcard games and divisional games, they made one trip to the Superbowl which they lost to the 2004 patriots.

The difference was the QB, the Defense could win you 10-11 games, but if you want to get home field and at least make the divisional round, you need a QB to win you 2-3 more games.

This is why I think with Wilson and a Top 10 defense we will still be good. As history has shown more often than not if you have an ok QB you might lose the Wildcard round, but a great QB and good defense you can at least get closer to the SB.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Ambrose83":16tzvqww said:
v1rotv2":16tzvqww said:
dumbrabbit":16tzvqww said:

this- i love wags.... but trade RW to keep him? that's beyond stupid son.

I'll backtrack a bit. I'm saying this as if I had to choose between the two. Can't let Wilson go for nothing, so that's why I said trade him. Of course I want Wilson in Seattle for a long time. But at the expense of Wagner? Nope. But at the same time I'm not willing to let Wilson go for nothing, if that ever was a reality. Once again, I'm just saying this as if I had to choose between Wilson and Wagner. I'll say it again, I do want both Wilson and Wagner on the Seahawks for a long time. but at $20M a year for both? I'm not really interested in that.

That is all I'm saying. Just my own opinion.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner missed 7 games the last 2 years. He is important for our run support. With that said you don't think the FO is looking at his injury concern and won't offer him less, we could get both deals done with Wilson and Wagner. The Top MLB is making 9.5 million a year.

If we are getting Wilson and Wagner both for $20 million a year, oh that's a steal!

nrayorr

Reaction score
v1rotv2":3d62dhb2 said:
dumbrabbit":3d62dhb2 said:

I totally agree with this post. RW is a rare find and I'd rather lose Wagner over Wilson any day of the week. I knew this kid was going to be special when I saw him in the Rose Bowl against my Ducks. The kid can flat out ball, make good decisions, can make almost any throw including on the run cross body throws to the outside shoulder. I saw him in the combine and thought to myself that whoever drafts this guy is gonna get a franchise QB despite his size. If this guy was over 6 foot tall he would have been a first round pick no question. When Seattle called him name in the third round I made a mess of myself jumping up and getting pasta all over everywhere.

Like I said before, RW is a rare find and we are blessed to have him as our QB. In his rookie year he took us to the playoffs and to a winning record and in the last couple of years took us to two SB's and winning one of those, now please know that I am not saying that is was all Wilson because our #1 ranked defense had its part with that as well. There are QB's out there that have been paid big money and haven't produced like Wilson has, so why not pay this guy? I know that he doesn't throw over 4,000 yards a season, but so what? Our O is a run first offense... however, I believe that the pass will come along and I know that Wilson can do it. Yeah, he throw a lot of INT's in the NFC championship game, but other QB's have thrown INT's to include some that threw 5 INT's in a game.

Another thing to consider is that it wasn't just RW's rookie contract that made it possible to get a good defense, it was our FO ability to draft quality players in the later rounds. We didn't have to pay those guys a lot of money to begin with.

SHOW THIS GUY THE MONEY AND STOP SCREWING AROUND!!

two dog

Reaction score
If I had to prioritize of course it would be for the Quarterback. But why either/or ?

I have a lot of faith (blind faith I guess) that extensions will be done for both.
As far as I know the deals are not mutually exclusive.

It's only mid May. In the fullness of time things will get done. Go Hawks

Basis4day

Reaction score
Why do fans assume that only one contract can be worked on at any one time?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Yes, this is brilliant, but let's interlace the days.

MWThF - Russell Wilson Contract Days
TuSaSu - Bobby Wagner Days