Expectations for Kris Richard this year?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
With all the talk lately focusing around Wilson's contract and our draft, I'm just interested to gauge how you guys are feeling about our new defensive coordinator this season.

Being only 35 years old, this is a huge challenge but also an amazing opportunity for him. Coaching the league's best defense, with whom he's been apart of since 2012, is going to be really interesting to see.

Dan Quinn was more favorable to cover 3 and few blitz packages. He ran this defense right to the core of our strenghs. Make the other team play us straight up and may the best squad win.

With Richard now calling the defense, do you guys expect that philosophy to change? Do you think or want him to do anything differently? Such as more blitzes, more press man, d line stunts, etc.

I say if it's not broken don't fix it, but with the Chargers and Patriots exposing a potential blueprint to defeat us, how will coach Richard adjust?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let's hope he develops as expected, and isn't subject to Bevell blindness at key movements. It's really Pete's D that Richard is managing at any rate.

netskier

Reaction score
Our defense is predicated on a strong pass rush that significantly pressures the passer. I expect him to ask Carroll for more and better pass rushers, such as Clark, to add to Bennett, not replace Bennett.

Jville

Reaction score
In the past, they have broken up run and pass planing responsibilities. I am unclear on whose shoulders responsibility for the run game will fall this season.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I wouldn't call the Chargers game as a blueprint to beat Seattle.

What I recall was some ridiculously outrageous hookups between Rivers and Gates that sealed out fate.

All of those won't happen again in any one game ever again.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Every projected Defensive starter has at least 3 years of starting experience save for Bruce Irvin.

Kris Richard had also learned under guys Quinn, Norton, and Bradley. Not to mention Pete Carroll, who more or less has been the brain child behind the brilliant defense.

I think expectations for Richards and his players are still to be the best defense in the league. Nothing changes schematically, you play to the strengths.

It hurts losing great coaching in Quinn and Norton. But Rocky Seto is still here and in a bigger role that will help overseer the secondary (plus the entire defense in general) with Richard and Carroll with new assistants Chris Cash and Andre Curtis, who helped the 2007 Giants win a Superbowl as an assistant.

The D-Line coach, Travis Jones is now a 10 year vet, with three Superbowl appearances as a coach and two rings. Jones also probably has learned a great deal from Quinn over their years together. Not to mention the Seahawks brought on a familiar face in Dwayne Board who brings with him 25 years of coaching experience with solid work with the 90's 49ers and 00's Seahawks plus a successful career as a player for the dynasty 49ers.

LBer coaches Michael Barrow and Lofa Tatupu, might be green behind the ears in terms of NFL coaching experience. But both Barrow and Tatupu in the prime of thier playing careers were both great linebackers. Both of them also have started in Superbowls, Barrows for NYG in 2000. Tatupu In 2005 as a rookie but you should know this. Barrows brings 8 years of coaching LBers at University of Miami. Tatupu, while beginning his coaching career, always seemed destined to be a teacher of the game as a guy who overachieved with his smarts, intangibles, and instincts rather than physical ability. And is young enough removed from his playing career to still know familiarity with the current players and offensive coaches in the league in which his insight and experience could prove to be valuable at times.

northseahawk

Reaction score
The charger game plan did beat us fair and square, in that game and the Super Bowl. people can come up with many excuses that are part of the game, but they beat us simply exploiting our weakness, which is quick short passes!

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Jerhawk":30dqfe92 said:
but with the Chargers and Patriots exposing a potential blueprint to defeat us, how will coach Richard adjust?
Yeah and 120 degree heat and injure our secondary and DL...that's one big blueprint ;)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
northseahawk":2pusdlux said:
The charger game plan did beat us fair and square, in that game and the Super Bowl. people can come up with many excuses that are part of the game, but they beat us simply exploiting our weakness, which is quick short passes!

I will make excuses. 115 degrees field temperature had an enormous conditional effect on a Defense that wilted against a QB who was playing like the MVP of the league in the first half of the season, that was nickel and diming the Seahawks keeping them in the heat. Not to mention the Seahawks own offense that stalled numerous times with 3 and outs that didn't help keep the Seahawks Defense off the field. And then we eventually learned Percy Harvin was being a bitch in this game with his selfishness which didn't help Bevell's game plan.

And yet the Seahawks were still in that game at the end despite the overwhelming heat, despite the Harvin headache, despite players leaving the field to get I.V.s, despite Chanchellor playing one of the worst games of careers because of an ankle injury. Seahawks were still in that game down only 6 points with 2 minutes to drive, only to give the ball up for the Chargers on 4 downs, to kick a chip-shot field goal and give the Seahawks its worst deficit of defeat since October 2011.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":272o7wzj said:

What I recall was some ridiculously outrageous hookups between Rivers and Gates that sealed out fate.

That's true, and I wouldn't call XLIX a blueprint either. The Patriots won the war of attrition and were on the positive side of a craptastic playcall by the opposing OC, I wouldn't call that a blueprint. I would call that being very fortunate, just my humble opinion of course.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the replies and discussion. In regards to the blueprint I was referring to, I was meaning the patient dink and dunk offense with ball control and time of possession being priorities. Those two games were the ones I mentioned because both teams used their running backs out of the backfield receiving effectively, tried to find match ups with their tight ends on kj or kam, and converting key third downs to stay on the field.

I figured some of you would blame the heat for the Chargers loss, and while that was an advantage for them, their gameplan was also executed flawlessly. The pats benefited from our banged up secondary and Avril going down, but the game plan was similar.

I'm hoping Richard can find an adjustment should teams use this gameplan against us this season.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3plj2bxh said:
Every projected Defensive starter has at least 3 years of starting experience save for Bruce Irvin.

Kris Richard had also learned under guys Quinn, Norton, and Bradley. Not to mention Pete Carroll, who more or less has been the brain child behind the brilliant defense.

I think expectations for Richards and his players are still to be the best defense in the league. Nothing changes schematically, you play to the strengths.

It hurts losing great coaching in Quinn and Norton. But Rocky Seto is still here and in a bigger role that will help overseer the secondary (plus the entire defense in general) with Richard and Carroll with new assistants Chris Cash and Andre Curtis, who helped the 2007 Giants win a Superbowl as an assistant.

The D-Line coach, Travis Jones is now a 10 year vet, with three Superbowl appearances as a coach and two rings. Jones also probably has learned a great deal from Quinn over their years together. Not to mention the Seahawks brought on a familiar face in Dwayne Board who brings with him 25 years of coaching experience with solid work with the 90's 49ers and 00's Seahawks plus a successful career as a player for the dynasty 49ers.

LBer coaches Michael Barrow and Lofa Tatupu, might be green behind the ears in terms of NFL coaching experience. But both Barrow and Tatupu in the prime of thier playing careers were both great linebackers. Both of them also have started in Superbowls, Barrows for NYG in 2000. Tatupu In 2005 as a rookie but you should know this. Barrows brings 8 years of coaching LBers at University of Miami. Tatupu, while beginning his coaching career, always seemed destined to be a teacher of the game as a guy who overachieved with his smarts, intangibles, and instincts rather than physical ability. And is young enough removed from his playing career to still know familiarity with the current players and offensive coaches in the league in which his insight and experience could prove to be valuable at times.

Thank you very much for this informative post. I learned a lot here. Much appreciated.

It's great to see Tatupu on the staff. He always had what it took mentally to play this game at a high level. Unfortunately hid body just couldn't hold up.

Norton will be missed and we all wish him the best of luck in Oakland

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Jerhawk":maq15f85 said:
Thank you guys for the replies and discussion. In regards to the blueprint I was referring to, I was meaning the patient dink and dunk offense with ball control and time of possession being priorities. Those two games were the ones I mentioned because both teams used their running backs out of the backfield receiving effectively, tried to find match ups with their tight ends on kj or kam, and converting key third downs to stay on the field.

I figured some of you would blame the heat for the Chargers loss, and while that was an advantage for them, their gameplan was also executed flawlessly. The pats benefited from our banged up secondary and Avril going down, but the game plan was similar.

I'm hoping Richard can find an adjustment should teams use this gameplan against us this season.

That's a pretty ubiquitous game plan NFL wide, is it not? Short passes are hard to defend. Except the Hawks secondary takes away a lot of the mid and deeper passes, literally forcing more dependency on the short game.

They gotta try do something...

farhat

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":18x8gtz9 said:

Are you kidding me? This was how Dallas, Kansas City and New England had offensive success against us. It was a blueprint that Bellichick followed in the Super Bowl and it worked.

farhat

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2bvh8j5u said:
onanygivensunday":2bvh8j5u said:

That's true, and I wouldn't call XLIX a blueprint either. The Patriots won the war of attrition and were on the positive side of a craptastic playcall by the opposing OC, I wouldn't call that a blueprint. I would call that being very fortunate, just my humble opinion of course.

Losing the war of attrition, yes, maybe. But remember they had Jerod Mayo and Aaron Dobson out. Of course, our human nature is to focus on the final play. But, during the 1st, 2nd, and 4th quarter Brady broke the Super Bowl record for the most completions (he had 37!) in a Super Bowl with a lot of quick short passes. That is a more holistic approach to analyzing a game then just looking at the final play.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":34gmbsjp said:
Jerhawk":34gmbsjp said:

That's a pretty ubiquitous game plan NFL wide, is it not? Short passes are hard to defend. Except the Hawks secondary takes away a lot of the mid and deeper passes, literally forcing more dependency on the short game.

They gotta try do something...

I see what you're saying, but teams have different ways to execute their gameplan. The Eagles are fast tempo, the seahawks ground and pound.

I was only pointing out those two games because they felt similar in the way our defense seemed on their heels for the majority of those games, regardless of whether or not other circumstances were the result of that.

The main reason I started this thread was to see overall if anybody here thought there may be change in the way our defense will play or look overall with Kris richard calling the defense. Even though coach Carroll is the man behind the curtain for this defense, somebody has to call the plays and make in game adjustments, something we've been very fortunate to have with gus Bradley and Dan Quinn

farhat

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2tolwhb8 said:

My questions are: since he is a secondary guy, will he be as good at coaching the defensive line like Quinn was?

I expect more blitzes.

But at the end of the day, how much do we know about Richard? It's hard to guess what he will do.

Here's a question: why don't we adjust when we see how a team is beating us? For example, if teams are dinking and dunking, why don't the linebackers adjust? If Gronkowski is taking advantage of KJ, and Edelman is taking advantage of Simon (because they know how we will lineup on the field), why don't we adjust and put Sherman on Edelman and Chancellor on Grownkowski? One on one. Follow him wherever he goes. There is likely a reason why they wouldn't. I don't know.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
farhat":1v7uh26i said:
Jerhawk":1v7uh26i said:

My questions are: since he is a secondary guy, will he be as good at coaching the defensive line like Quinn was?

I expect more blitzes.

But at the end of the day, how much do we know about Richard? It's hard to guess what he will do.

Here's a question: why don't we adjust when we see how a team is beating us? For example, if teams are dinking and dunking, why don't the linebackers adjust? If Gronkowski is taking advantage of KJ, and Edelman is taking advantage of Simon (because they know how we will lineup on the field), why don't we adjust and put Sherman on Edelman and Chancellor on Grownkowski? One on one. Follow him wherever he goes. There is likely a reason why they wouldn't. I don't know.

Exactly what I'm thinking. In the superbowl for example, Brady barely missed Edelman on that quick slant to out route that juke Simon out senseless. A couple plays later I believe it was, still same drive down on the goal line, they line up in the same formation, with Simon still on Edelman, same play but this time it's the go ahead touchdown.

Why Quinn or Carroll didn't adjust and put Sherman on Edelman in that situation is still baffling to me, but that's why I'm not a coach I suppose. I want to see how richard does with in game adjustments as well as weeklong game planning

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2zs72rj8 said:
farhat":2zs72rj8 said:
Jerhawk":2zs72rj8 said:

I expect more blitzes.

Exactly what I'm thinking. In the superbowl for example, Brady barely missed Edelman on that quick slant to out route that juke Simon out senseless. A couple plays later I believe it was, still same drive down on the goal line, they line up in the same formation, with Simon still on Edelman, same play but this time it's the go ahead touchdown.

Why Quinn or Carroll didn't adjust and put Sherman on Edelman in that situation is still baffling to me, but that's why I'm not a coach I suppose. I want to see how richard does with in game adjustments as well as weeklong game planning
Except for Burley, wasn't Simon the only one in the entire secondary supposedly anywhere near healthy ? Could be a factor.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I see what you mean in the CB change wise. I dont see it happening tho. Richard Sherman works one half and CB X-factor works the other side. I do have a feeling that they will make sure that the side RS is not on is shored up from now on. That may be the defensive factor as well as a few more timed blitzes to shake up the qbs. As far as any other changes...that would be on the HC...as he is kinda defensive minded.

If they moved RS to cover only one person, the other team would exploit that loss of area of coverage. That I think is why they kept to the same scheme. I do remember seeing RS on the opposite side a couple times in coverage and that is when his side was exploited. TE went out and found the hole and ripped us for yardage. I am just glad I got some of them games from last season on DVD so I can get to them at my leisure.
Go Hawks.