Avril in the Super Bowl

farhat

Reaction score
I know none of us really want to talk about this. But, it is good to sit back and analyze a game holistically rather than focusing on one play. Of course, our nature is to focus on the final play, and blame everything on that one play; but what happened the rest of the game?

Tom Brady, as much as his name disgusts me right now, threw 37 completions in the Super Bowl. That is ridiculous. That wouldn't have happened if Jeremy Lane stayed in the game and Maxwell were not moved into the slot. That also wouldn't have happened if Cliff Avril stayed in the game either. Mynorthwest.com says:

"Mike Sando of ESPN.com noted how much better Patriots quarterback Tom Brady fared with Avril on the sideline (22-27, 214 yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions, 97.7 QBR) than he did with Avril on the field (15-23, 106 yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions, 24.8 QBR)."

Uncle Si

Reaction score
farhat":8fx3qj7a said:
I know none of us really want to talk about this. But, it is good to sit back and analyze a game holistically rather than focusing on one play. Of course, our nature is to focus on the final play, and blame everything on that one play; but what happened the rest of the game?

Tom Brady, as much as his name disgusts me right now, threw 37 completions in the Super Bowl. That is ridiculous. That wouldn't have happened if Jeremy Lane stayed in the game and Maxwell were not moved into the slot. That also wouldn't have happened if Cliff Avril stayed in the game either. Mynorthwest.com says:

"Mike Sando of ESPN.com noted how much better Patriots quarterback Tom Brady fared with Avril on the sideline (22-27, 214 yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions, 97.7 QBR) than he did with Avril on the field (15-23, 106 yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions, 24.8 QBR)."

Great find farhat... his 2nd half concussion was a game changer.

netskier

Reaction score
This illustrates why the combination of Bennett plus Frank Clark will be so potent, plus Avril too, plus Bruce Irvin. Looking good for next year for quarterback pressurers.

titan3131

Reaction score
anyone of the injured players on Defense is 100 % and we win. WITHOUT A COMEBACK.

AVL

Reaction score
Both of those injuries were on interceptions, pretty strange.

ivotuk

Reaction score
YEa, too bad Pete Carroll has integrity, and Bill and Tom don't. If they would have sat Edelman for his concussion, like we did for Avril, we win that game.

To me though, Avril's health is much more important than a Superbowl win. Pete Carroll has taught me that.

kearly

Reaction score
It really had nothing to do with Avril. Irvin replaced Avril and generated a sack and pressures. It had everything to do with Belichick being a smart coach and waiting til the end of the game to exploit the crap out of Tharold Simon.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
kearly":80zmg8e5 said:
It really had nothing to do with Avril. Irvin replaced Avril and generated a sack and pressures. It had everything to do with Belichick being a smart coach and waiting til the end of the game to exploit the crap out of Tharold Simon.

But Therold was only on the field because of Lane's injury.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":l4ax4x4m said:

Avril and Bennett were starting to beat the Pats OL like a drum... It was a big loss. Not as big as the Lane loss though, but significant enough

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":6k68lndu said:

When we rushed Irvin, we were OK. The problem was Schofield had a horrible game, and he played most of those snaps at LEO on first and second down without generating any pressure. Losing Avril was huge for that reason.

OP
OP
F

farhat

Reaction score
Once Lane went out, Brady through at Simon all day long. Simon got burned in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th quarters. That was a huge game changer. Simon is no where near Maxwell.

Losing Avril was huge as the stats prove!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The game changed when Avril went out....the Seahawks had a 10 point lead at that time. We all know what happened next. Avril wasn't allowed back into the game because of concussion but Amendola and Edelman were staggerring on the field too. They were allowed to keep playing.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
farhat":3no1pd9d said:
Once Lane went out, Brady through at Simon all day long. Simon got burned in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th quarters. That was a huge game changer. Simon is no where near Maxwell.

Losing Avril was huge as the stats prove!

Maxwell would have struggled too.

Edelman on any of our bigger corners was a mismatch, hence why Lane was so vital to that game, and why I will be forever puzzled that Burley wasn't at least active for the Super Bowl

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":9yh616le said:
The game changed when Avril went out....the Seahawks had a 10 point lead at that time. We all know what happened next. Avril wasn't allowed back into the game because of concussion but Amendola and Edelman were stagerring on the field too. They were allowed to keep playing.

Dig that avatar.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":xa5ik8dw said:
farhat":xa5ik8dw said:

Great find farhat... his 2nd half concussion was a game changer.
Incorrect. Lane's injury was the game changer. Avril's concussion was a game ENDER. Especially when combined with Earl and Sherman being injured enough that neither had any business being on the field. Either way it doesn't matter given we still could and should have won the game. But we ran a dumb play that Browner knew was coming from miles away. We deserve what we got for such stupidity and I believe whoever plays us in Superbowl 50 is going to pay like nobody has ever seen.

Vetamur

Reaction score
There were all kinds of problems.. even Simon being picked on would normally have been some what alleviated by safety help.. but Kam wasnt Kam and Earl wasnt Earl.. For me, far worse than the Play that Shall Not be Named was letting Wright cover Gronk 1 on 1 on the outside. But presumably he wasnt meant to be one on one. Kam took an initial read the wrong way and his torn MCL didnt let him switch directions to get back in time to help.

Going into the game the LOB was so beat up, worse than we fans knew, its really a testament to coaching and the intellectual side of our players game that we were in that game. But the defense faded. As you would expect really. And to still be so close..well..we are all dealing with it our own way.

kf3339

Reaction score
If you want to play the "what if" then you have to also include cutting Clemons in the offseason for no real reason. His cap hit wasn't something the team couldn't afford, and we all know that the more experienced DE's, the better. I personally would have traded that cap money for a second Super Bowl win in a row without question.