Jimmy Graham at the White House speaking on his foster youth

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
jayhawkk":mz1f797x said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1I3JOt2o6A

starts at 28:07
He's now my second favorite Hawk right behind Coleman. Thanks for finding this. :th2thumbs:

Welcome to .Net. :2:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
When I was in college, I was bothered by it too.

Took several jobs with shelters for abused & neglected kids. The need is huge.

Worse, is what happens when the kids turn 18. They called it "aging out" back then.

Many kids lived under the illusion that they now had a new family and found themselves suddenly homeless the minute they turned 18.

Foster kids are kids that through no fault of their own, got a low roll on the dice. Or no chance at all.

Always been a fan of Jimmy for what he went through to get where he is. In fact, every time I read a story like this, about a kid who slept on park benches but then grew up to be able to somehow get into college and get to play football - I think about all the other kids who also got stuck on benches but never could play football and so never go that shot.

Just remember that all those stories of the kids that somehow made it out because of their ability to play the game, are wedged in between other tales of kids that never got a chance.

The value you have in this world truly is defined by the difference you make when you are here. There is a tremendous difference that you can make in the life of a foster kid. Even if you cannot be a foster parent, the need for people to donate time & resources to show these kids they are loved & matter is huge.

Those kids grow up to be productive contributing people if given a chance. No matter what you think you bring to the table, the difference you can make in just sharing a small sliver of normal is massive.

Jimmy actually got his chance because someone believed in him, other kids deserve someone to believe in them too. If you never looked into it - seeing how you can help make a huge impact, on their life and yours.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1a32hw0h said:

Worse, is what happens when the kids turn 18. They called it "aging out" back then.

Many kids lived under the illusion that they now had a new family and found themselves suddenly homeless the minute they turned 18.

Foster kids are kids that through no fault of their own, got a low roll on the dice. Or no chance at all.

Always been a fan of Jimmy for what he went through to get where he is. In fact, every time I read a story like this, about a kid who slept on park benches but then grew up to be able to somehow get into college and get to play football - I think about all the other kids who also got stuck on benches but never could play football and so never go that shot.

Just remember that all those stories of the kids that somehow made it out because of their ability to play the game, are wedged in between other tales of kids that never got a chance.

The value you have in this world truly is defined by the difference you make when you are here. There is a tremendous difference that you can make in the life of a foster kid. Even if you cannot be a foster parent, the need for people to donate time & resources to show these kids they are loved & matter is huge.

Those kids grow up to be productive contributing people if given a chance. No matter what you think you bring to the table, the difference you can make in just sharing a small sliver of normal is massive.

Jimmy actually got his chance because someone believed in him, other kids deserve someone to believe in them too. If you never looked into it - seeing how you can help make a huge impact, on their life and yours.
:th2thumbs:

(I'm crying as I post this, but I am one of those "others"). The path may not be as straight or simple but it's doable. Jimmy is helping make it so just by speaking up. Hence my automatic acceptance and ranking him a true favorite of mine regardless of the fact he's never played a down for us.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3fw42ut6 said:
TwistedHusky":3fw42ut6 said:

:th2thumbs:

(I'm crying as I post this, but I am one of those "others"). The path may not be as straight or simple but it's doable. Jimmy is helping make it so just by speaking up. Hence my automatic acceptance and ranking him a true favorite of mine regardless of the fact he's never played a down for us.

:13: Great post.

The woman who took him in and adopted him is a saint; she was living in a trailer, already taking care of her daughter on $11k a year, and working to put herself through nursing school. Not exactly a Blindside situation.

[youtube]YRsYNFQOwl4[/youtube]