Brooks ranks Wilson 4th best QB

Crizilla

Reaction score
entering the 2015 season.

"Some will argue against Wilson's top-five ranking, based solely on his pass production, but keen observers recognize his value as one of the most efficient dual-threat playmakers at the position. The three-year vet nearly posted a 3,500/1,000 season (3,475 passing yards and 849 rushing yards) as the director of the Seahawks' diverse offensive attack in 2014. People mistakenly see him as a "game manager" for a team that is overly reliant on a dominant defense and a strong running game. But it's hard to dispute his record (36-12) and history of success since entering the NFL. Considering Wilson's clutch production (15 game-winning drives, including 10 fourth-quarter comebacks over his career) and the addition of a dominant "MOF" (middle of the field) target in new tight end Jimmy Graham, the two-time Pro Bowler might cement himself as a no-doubt member of the quarterbacking upper echelon in 2015."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... akes-a-hit

two dog

Reaction score
Whether Bucky is right or wrong, the best part is his ranking Russell
one spot ahead of Brady. Sorry, owl hangover.

original poster

Reaction score
You can certainly make an argument for it however the same can be said for a lot of QB's.

I do t really get the whole ranking WB's, it's predominantly based on opinion and everyone's rankings seem to be different.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
He keeps being place higher every ranking I see. First one he was 7th, second he was 5th and now 4th.

Although I agree more with the 7th place ranking to be honest, it's nice to see that nfl analysts have stopped underrating Russ now.

Ruminator

Reaction score
"The best is yet to come." - RW

I wonder how many QBs have taken their team to the playoffs three years in a row, reaching the SB twice.

While each of the top 10 QBs have their own unique qualities, RW blows them all away in the uncanny instincts department.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think as a pure passer, Wilson is probably around 7th. I do think he deals with some vision issues, sometimes hold the ball too long, and could still work on pocket awareness (although to be fair, with his OL I'm inclined to not hold that against him).

I think the 4th rating is fair overall for Wilson. His intangibles and leadership, coupled with his running ability (and the biggest part of that ability is his awareness to not take hits...he can sustain this without getting hurt), durability, and the effect he has on the running game elevate him up to top 5 status at least.

Even if he doesn't improve, I think he's good enough. He's never really had great receiving options; his best two WRs were Rice and Tate in his last year here, and both were good but not elite. Still, his numbers with those receivers were pretty good. Now he has Graham and Lockett (who appears to be heading to be a damn good WR), so I'm interested to see how this can improve his passing game.

I love Wilson's game. With his work ethic, he can continue as he is until at least 30. The problem is, he WILL start to slow down. Can he get it done more and more with his arm ? That's not a question for this contract, but the next one that will be the biggest question mark.

kearly

Reaction score
Reading Brooks list, it seems he's basing his rankings on how much a QB elevates his team. Not many QBs make their teammates look better than Wilson does. Wilson's mental toughness and ability to rally is off the charts- no other QB has been tougher to beat. Based on those criteria, #4 is a very fair ranking.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
At this point i would say Wilson is easily a top 10 QB. If I were to put him in a slot I would say 6th or 7th. No matter what, The Seahawks are a based on a solid defense first, a power running game second and a QB making something out of nothing 3rd. Because the team is based on 1 and 2 first, Wilson looks much better than most QB's. I still think he is a huge part of the teams success and he should be paid as a top end QB, but I don't look at him as a top 5 QB until he is pushed up to the first cog in the teams wheel and the defense and running game fall behind him as far as importance, but I don't ever see that with this front office and coaching staff.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
At this point i would say Wilson is easily a top 10 QB. If I were to put him in a slot I would say 6th or 7th. No matter what, The Seahawks are a based on a solid defense first, a power running game second and a QB making something out of nothing 3rd. Because the team is based on 1 and 2 first, Wilson looks much better than most QB's. I still think he is a huge part of the teams success and he should be paid as a top end QB, but I don't look at him as a top 5 QB until he is pushed up to the first cog in the teams wheel and the defense and running game fall behind him as far as importance, but I don't ever see that with this front office and coaching staff.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
As others have said, so much goes into a rating that its hard to pin it all on one area.

Intangibles? Easily top 3.

Running ability? Same.

Passing? Hard to tell. Nothing wrong with putting him in the top 15 here, but I would understand why some may rank him a bit lower.

Overall anywhere from 4-10 seems about right to me.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
blows my mind that RW gets knocked because he has a great team around him. So to be a elite you need to have a crappy team and do everything on your own? that seems to be the consensus, I simply do not get it. RW is a great deep passer and above average in the mid range game as well. I think hes top 5 for sure.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Where are the RW haters to tell us this is way too high? I think it's a good spot for him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what he does, he could win 3 more titles, and some people out there will tell you how overrated he is blah blah blah.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3vqo1qxd said:
Doesn't matter what he does, he could win 3 more titles, and some people out there will tell you how overrated he is blah blah blah.
Yeah, like the Rams fan who posted in another thread comparing Rodgers with Wilson solely based upon how well the Seahawks and Packers 'O' fare against the Rams D.
Forget the fact that GB's receiving corp is worlds better, they have better pass blockers and their system is completely different. There is also the element of familiarity, but let's ignore all that because it's much easier to say Wilson is the most highly-overated QB in the league. Good gawd, Gerty! Wishful thinking.

253hawk

Reaction score
Brady wouldn't last a full season in the NFC. Come to think of it, neither would Manning. AFC has some cushy divisions over there that have prolonged their success.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
253hawk":16zsz2zb said:
Brady wouldn't last a full season in the NFC. Come to think of it, neither would Manning. AFC has some cushy divisions over there that have prolonged their success.

Lets see,

Brady: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/splits//
NFC: 41-12 (.707) NFC record, 63.21% completion %, 95.5 passer rating
AFC: 119-37 (.689) AFC record, 64.26% completion %, 96.8 passer rating

Manning: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/splits/
NFC: 43-21 (.512) NFC record, 67.03% completion %, 102.0 passer rating
AFC: 136-56 (.582) AFC record, 64.99% completion %, 96.0 passer rating

Brady on stats alone seems to play a little stronger in his career against the NFC compared to the AFC. A little opposite for Manning. My opinion is they would have done just fine if they were in the NFC all those years.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":u2u2wd3r said:
Rams fans talking about Quarterbacks is the part that makes it hilarious.

So Seahawk fans shouldn't talk about wide receivers since our receivers haven't been that great for a while kinda like the Rams quarterbacks have been lacking for some time which according to your post you find "hilarious"? Makes complete sense to me. :34853_doh: