Which fanbase got it worse (SEA or NE)?

Which fanbase got it worse (SEA or NE)?

• Seahawks Fans (Lose title and potential dynasty claim on a single play)

Votes: 68 62.4%
  • Patriots Fans (Win title but overshadowed by legacy-changing cheating scandal)

Votes: 41 37.6%

• Total voters

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seeing the Patriots fanbase in the midst of a massive meltdown after Kraft conceded to the DeflateGate penalties brought to mind a question. It's hard to imagine a gut-punch more harsh than watching your team lose the Super Bowl on a single play, but I'm seeing Patriots fans claim they are giving up on the team or football in general. They seem pretty upset.

So, which fanbase of the two Super Bowl teams got the worse end of the stick?

(1) Seahawks fans: watch your team surrender a late 10-point Super Bowl lead and subsequently get within a half-yard of a dynasty establishing repeat championship only to lose on a highly controversial playcall and a one-in-a-million defensive play.

(2) Patriots fans: watch your team win the Super Bowl and finally obtain its first non-asterisk title only to have your team later be "proven" as cheaters. The team gets its fourth asterisk in as many titles and your favorite player's legacy is forever tainted. Opposing fanbases now have a lifetime of ammunition to use against your team's claims to greatness.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
The Patriots got to keep their championship. If you are them, why would you care about anything else?

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3le9bvcd said:
The Patriots got to keep their championship. If you are them, why would you care about anything else?

Good question. I believe fans are highly invested in the reputation of their team and the players they like. That's why people here become so passionate when Russell Wilson's talent or standing in the league comes into question. Does winning a title become hollow if everyone assumes you cheated to get it? I don't know -- that's the question I'm asking. Do you prefer a clean loss or a tainted victory?

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
And in case you need proof that this has taken its toll, a sample thread titles at their fan forum:

Never want to hear the term "The Patriot Way" again.

Maybe we just cheated?

Kraft has Broken Patsfans.

I hope Brady signs with the Buffalo Bills

This will be my breaking point.....

Kraft will get boo'd while hoisting a banner

Our reputation as 'cheaters' is now sealed forever....so how can we move forward?

Kraft's Betrayal: Your Memes

If Brady went to another team, would you root for him or the Pats?

I Hope Belechick Resigns

There are 31 others teams to root for. Who you taking?

Worst Owner Ever: Thanks for the rings Tom, but I must screw you

Laloosh

Reaction score
I don't think the win is tainted. I just think their qb is a weasel.

I'd take the Lombardi and call him a weasel.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade places with them. They now have been caught in multiple cheating scandals. Anyway, our future looks much brighter.

I know that was not the question.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SeaChase":34dla0sl said:
Pats. Every Ring has an Asterisk next to it.

I liked this one too...

"Worst Owner Ever: Thanks for the rings Tom, but I must screw you" The WOE effect. LOL

Not every ring rings true. he he heh :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :thirishdrinkers:

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Neither.

Hawks fans - Butler made a great play. Gotta give him credit. We lost 2 key pieces (Avril, Lane) on our defense to in-game injuries and 3/4 of the LOB were battling injuries. If our Hawks "gave" the game away, I'd be upset but that isn't the way it happened.

Pats fans - buck up. The pats won the Super Bowl fair and square. It's clear Brady stretched the rules but to bail on the team or feel bad about it is silly. Accept the fact that Tommy boy altered the balls and move on.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
SeaChase":trjqd60q said:

Which means what, exactly? They have the trophies, the banners, the NFL Films specials.

Anything less than stripped titles is just a footnote in a book that everyone will ignore as time marches on.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
If someone else had posted this I'd consider it trollish. The answer is obvious and to even make a comparison is insane. Do you remember how you felt that day? or Today if you start to replay it on your head?

SeaChase

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2fwmbocz said:
SeaChase":2fwmbocz said:

Which means what, exactly? They have the trophies, the banners, the NFL Films specials.

Anything less than stripped titles is just a footnote in a book that everyone will ignore as time marches on.

Each footnote with an asterisk...

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2apfa0p6 said:
Do you remember how you felt that day? or Today if you start to replay it on your head?

Sure do. It's rough, though I don't feel like I ever wanted to abandon the team or football in general, which is the sentiment floating around the Patriots fanbase. That's the only reason I asked. I can't really put myself in their perspective. But if I'm just basing it on message boards, I'd say the reaction on their forum to Kraft's concession was even more volcanic than .NET's reaction to the SB loss. Maybe that's just a Bostonian thing.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I'm glad my team is the Seahawks and not the Patriots. We had another great season, went to the Super Bowl for the second time in a row, almost won it despite half the defense being broken, and are looking to the next season with optimism. I don't considered those to be tragic circumstances.

The Patriots on the other hand are an asterisk-laden laughingstock that has lost all respect from everyone but their homers. The biggest questions about their next season are how many games their QB will be suspended for cheating and whether they'll be as good when they can't cheat any more.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
These (Pats fans) folks will ALL be cheering their team on come September. Yelling at the TV, fist and chest bumping their friends, getting nacho cheese dripping down their jerseys. Being a diehard fan of an NFL team is an act of wearing your heart on your sleeve 24/7.

12's have it worse. To be so close, so profoundly close to a reality never before seen by Seahawks fans only to have it taken away on an unimaginable play (call) a half a yard away.

A half yard.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'd say the Patriots not so much because of the events of the SB but because we've got a lot more to look forward to than they do in the seasons to come. They won, sure, but it's been all about the deflated footballs and the role of cheating in their 15 year stint as a contender and winner. We're just gearing up for another trip down our beaten path and to its beaten teams. A heartbreaking loss can be atoned for with winning in the future but the stigma of poor character is much harder to be rid of. In this regard, we would seem to have it better although it ultimately depends on not what happened in the SB but in how both teams respond to its aftermath. If I'm making odds for the various outcomes of this future, I'm favoring the team that's younger, hungrier, more innovative, and likely less distracted by the whims of public criticism.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":kjdlb5nv said:
And in case you need proof that this has taken its toll, a sample thread titles at their fan forum:

Never want to hear the term "The Patriot Way" again.

Maybe we just cheated?

Kraft has Broken Patsfans.

I hope Brady signs with the Buffalo Bills

This will be my breaking point.....

Kraft will get boo'd while hoisting a banner

Our reputation as 'cheaters' is now sealed forever....so how can we move forward?

Kraft's Betrayal: Your Memes

If Brady went to another team, would you root for him or the Pats?

I Hope Belechick Resigns

There are 31 others teams to root for. Who you taking?

Worst Owner Ever: Thanks for the rings Tom, but I must screw you
Can't feel good when you're cheating your way to the top Tommy Boy.
I'm betting that the MAJORITY of the Pats fans don't rally give a shit if Brady/ Belecheat do things like that, the wins are the bottom line.
AND, Belechick was UNAWARE of what was going on?, um...Okay.
We lost that game with our LOB in tatters, shit like that happens.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The Pats fans are able to brag their team won and always dispute the deflation issue made a freaking bit of difference, and although the Pats cheated they still won the SB b/c our OC is a stupid mofo who refused to run Lynch from the 1 against a run D that couldn't stop the run all season. Our fans have to deal with that galactic ally stupid decision permanently while everyone knows the Patriots cheat when they can.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
To quote Jim Harbaugh on the NFL Lipreading video....

I want that Superbowl!

I want that Superbowl nowwwwwwwwwwww!