Projected Starters (per NFL.com)

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493656/article/projected-starters-seattle-seahawks[/urltargetblank]

New Names starting according to this article:

Offense

TE - Jimmy Graham
LG - Alvin Bailey
C - Lemuel Jeanpierre

Defense

CB2 - Cary Williams
CB3 - Will Blackmon

The article shows starters they project at each position and there are tabs at the top for the rest of the NFC West

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":23nbjoc5 said:
WR Chris Matthews is also listed as a starter, which would be a first for him.

The way they wrote the article was more as if they had Matthews as a place holder and the number 3 spot being up for grabs. I really don't see Matthews starting, but then again, I am not certain Kearse will start either. I think the only starter that is certain for the WR position is Baldwin right now. I also noticed they didn't name a FB and although our first offensive play may not have a FB, we use one enough that one should be projected IMO.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":2wdciohh said:
hawknation2015":2wdciohh said:

The way they wrote the article was more as if they had Matthews as a place holder and the number 3 spot being up for grabs. I really don't see Matthews starting, but then again, I am not certain Kearse will start either. I think the only starter that is certain for the WR position is Baldwin right now. I also noticed they didn't name a FB and although our first offensive play may not have a FB, we use one enough that one should be projected IMO.

I see. This is really just one man's opinion; all of these positions should elicit some fierce competition this year.

FB - Will Tukuafu vs. Derrick Coleman
LG - Alvin Bailey vs. Mark Glowinski vs. Terry Poole
C - Patrick Lewis vs. Lemuel Jeanpierre vs. Kristjan Sokoli
WR - Chris Matthews vs. Jermaine Kearse vs. Kevin Norwood vs. Tyler Lockett (add Paul Richardson to the competition once he returns from injury)
RCB - Carry Williams vs. Tharold Simon vs. Tye Smith
NCB - Will Blackmon vs. Marcus Burley (add Jeremy Lane to the competition once he returns from injury)

Even TE could see some interesting competition if Jimmy Graham is tasked with playing outside at Split End, or in the splot, instead of in-line at TE. That would also exponentially change the complexion of the battle at WR.

It will also be interesting to see whether Jordan Hill is healthy enough and improved enough against the run to challenge Tony McDaniel for a starting role at the three technique.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Graham and Williams are safe picks at TE and RCB. It's too early to make picks at O-Line yet for this squad and camp should be exciting there. I think either Lockett(e) is more probable than Matthews and the article picking Matthews because of his height is pretty silly when we have Graham to be a possession target along with Willson.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I should have also included Tye Smith in the competition at nickel corner, as Carroll mentioned the possibility of using him there down the road, though he mostly sees him as a boundary corner.

Competition at nickel LEO will also be interesting. Frank Clark could play there or inside in Bennett's current role. In that situation, Bruce Irvin or Cliff Avril would probably play LEO.

Basis4day

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?series=arou ... ue-podcast

Podcast on the subject at the top. Show producer is a converted Hawks fan. I generally like this podcast, at least for the humor.

Just FYI:

Dan Hanzus - Jets Fan
Greg Rosenthal - Pats Fan
Mark Sessler - Browns Fan
Chris Wesselin - Ex-Bengals Fan, more a fan of individual players
T.D. - Russell Wilson fan and Recent Seahawk convert

Hawks46

Reaction score
The camp battles I'm most interested in:

Bailey vs. Glowinski. I think this is for the starting LG spot. My thoughts are that Glow is a very polished ZBS Guard, and if he shows up in camp, he'll get the nod thus moving a newly slimmed down Bailey over to backup LT. I think that's an important position, as Okung hasn't shown to be durable and the Hawks may need to move on from him next year as we might not be able to afford him. The Hawks need someone to take that LG spot from Bailey.

Kearse vs. Matthews vs. Norwood vs. Baldwin. I've got this down as the likely starters on the outside. I see us running a lot more 2 WR sets as we have Graham, and if we run a 3 WR set, a lot of that is going to be Graham splitting out. Kearse and Matthews and Norwood are basically going after the same spot; that of a larger WR with a bigger catch radius that can catch contested balls. Baldwin shouldn't be on the outside, but he's been there through default. I think these guys are leading the pack, but we have some interesting younger WRs that can make a push. I believe Richardson gets IR'd this year, unless he just blows them away coming off of the PUP.

Rubin vs. McDaniel vs. HIll. 3 Tech DT is going to be a brawl. McDaniel slid over and played some strong side end when he had to, but he was brought here as a 3 tech. Hill was showing some major push to make that starting job his before he got hurt, but he's been hurt every year so far. From Rubin's size, I thought he was brought in here to rotate with Mebane, but folks are telling me his natural position is 3 tech. We'll see Marsh, Clark and some other younger guys rotationally in here.

Williams vs. Simon vs. Smith. Blackmon looks to be starting in the Nickle, although he's good enough to challenge outside. Williams had an off year last year ,but might not have been playing in a scheme suited to his strengths. He looked good as a Raven. Simon has had durability issues but we've seen flashes. Smith might be a bit raw but he has the physical traits Pete looks for.

FB. Tukuafu vs. Coleman vs. that kid we just signed from Penn St. I personally like Tukuafu but that new kid we signed looks to be the big athlete that they've been craving at the FB position. I think Coleman doesn't make it.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":k3wk5ts7 said:
kidhawk":k3wk5ts7 said:
hawknation2015":k3wk5ts7 said:

I see. This is really just one man's opinion; all of these positions should elicit some fierce competition this year.

WR - Chris Matthews vs. Jermaine Kearse vs. Kevin Norwood vs. Tyler Lockett (add Paul Richardson to the competition once he returns from injury)
NCB - Will Blackmon vs. Marcus Burley (add Jeremy Lane to the competition once he returns from injury)

Even TE could see some interesting competition if Jimmy Graham is tasked with playing outside at Split End, or in the splot, instead of in-line at TE. That would also exponentially change the complexion of the battle at WR.

It will also be interesting to see whether Jordan Hill is healthy enough and improved enough against the run to challenge Tony McDaniel for a starting role at the three technique.

So far Cable and the coaches have been talking about Glowinski as strictly a right guard in all the interviews (and probably a potential backup at right tackle) so I doubt he is in the competition for left guard this year, where they look for a different body type than Glowinsky's more athletic frame. If they can't extend Sweezy, then I see Glowinsky replacing Sweezy at right guard next year. I think Poole is in the competition for both starting left guard and starting centre, as Poole also had reps at centre during the rookie minicamp. No way do I think Sokoli will be ready enough this year to win the job at centre, but in 2016 he's a candidate.

I'm hoping one of Norwood, Lockett or Matthews steps up to win the 3rd WR job in training camp, but if I was to guess, I think there will be a battle all year for the 3rd WR job between these three players, and I think the game plan week to week will determine which of the three get the most reps during any one game.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":3n0toknp said:
hawknation2015":3n0toknp said:
kidhawk":3n0toknp said:
hawknation2015":3n0toknp said:

So far Cable and the coaches have been talking about Glowinski as strictly a right guard in all the interviews (and probably a potential backup at right tackle) so I doubt he is in the competition for left guard this year, where they look for a different body type than Glowinsky's more athletic frame. If they can't extend Sweezy, then I see Glowinsky replacing Sweezy at right guard next year. I think Poole is in the competition for both starting left guard and starting centre, as Poole also had reps at centre during the rookie minicamp. No way do I think Sokoli will be ready enough this year to win the job at centre, but in 2016 he's a candidate.

I'm hoping one of Norwood, Lockett or Matthews steps up to win the 3rd WR job in training camp, but if I was to guess, I think there will be a battle all year for the 3rd WR job between these three players, and I think the game plan week to week will determine which of the three get the most reps during any one game.

I don't think that's right. Immediately after the draft, Carroll/Schenider talked about slotting Glowinski in at right guard (behind Sweezy). However, during the rookie mini camp, Cable specifically said that he would be moving these guys around a lot to find their best position. Backup Right Guard may be the position Glowinski starts off at during fall camp, but don't discount the possibility that he shines so much that he is moved to Left Guard to push Bailey as a potential starter.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
We already know many of the starters for next season so we don't really have to hear them say guys like Lynch and Sherman will probably start. On the other hand, positions were the starters aren't clear yet like CB2, WR3, LG and C we can only guess.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Some interesting battles out there for sure.

I think RCB will be Simon. Stop laughing. Seriously. And I think he will be good.

I dont see this as smoke screen:http://mynorthwest.com/292/2765295/New-Seahawks-DC-expects-Tharold-Simon-to-take-the-next-step-in-2015

WR is really going to be a battle. Im planning on staying in the Seattle area as much as I can during training camp and attending as many days as I can because a) Im off this summer b) Seattle is awesome in summer and c) this training camp is going to have a lot of important battles. My guess is Matthews will be a starter but we will see about the same amount of playing time from him and Kearse.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Media talking up Simon and Kris Richard talking up Simon is baffling.....he didn't compete in the SB, looking for pushoff calls vs Edelman and others, vs battling and scraping.....

Blackmon, Tye Smith and Lane are your 3, 4 and 5 CBs., I probably have them in reverse order based on what we will see in the playoffs vs what the order will be at the start of the season......I think there is blood in the water and although Simon may shake off the playoff debacles of Carolina and New England, he cannot play on this roster....too many teams will abandon being fearful of the entire defense and just go to whomever is matched up against Simon, which simplyfies the offense for all our opponents...........the strength of a Pete Carroll defense is depth and coming at teams in waves of players that look and feel the same on film and Simon does not do that for the defense.....

I have more confidence that Cary Williams will compete and shake off whatever teams through at him, vs Simon....I'd rather teams test Blackmon and Tye Smith vs Simon in nickel or dime packages early at St. Louis and at Green Bay.

The key to the defense is making sure Jordan Hill, Frank Clark, Cassius Marsh and Brandon Mebane get through the regular season in one piece....if that happens, we can beat anyteam, home and away, provided that Bennett, Avril and Rubin are starting and on the patrol of run defense, keeping Wagner clean.

This projects to be the deepest and strongest Seahawk roster ever assembled....it is finally balanced with playmakers on both sides of the ball, people that draw penalties on offense (Graham and Lockette will draw mulitple PI penalties) and Baldwin will be re-slotted to his proper role of going up against a 2nd or 3rd CB, where he will be more productive.

For those still disgrunted about whatever debacle it was at the end of SB49, you are only truly excellent if you maintain that over an extended period of time, not necessarily how many SB's you win in a row. If you win 4 in a 8 year span, (which is what we will see), then I'll take my chances with this roster the next 3 years vs any other roster assembled anyone else IF, you eliminate Simon from the equation and keep the defensive rotation intact and healthy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":2uce5spl said:
Media talking up Simon and Kris Richard talking up Simon is baffling.....he didn't compete in the SB, looking for pushoff calls vs Edelman and others, vs battling and scraping.....

Blackmon, Tye Smith and Lane are your 3, 4 and 5 CBs., I probably have them in reverse order based on what we will see in the playoffs vs what the order will be at the start of the season......I think there is blood in the water and although Simon may shake off the playoff debacles of Carolina and New England, he cannot play on this roster....too many teams will abandon being fearful of the entire defense and just go to whomever is matched up against Simon, which simplyfies the offense for all our opponents...........the strength of a Pete Carroll defense is depth and coming at teams in waves of players that look and feel the same on film and Simon does not do that for the defense.....

I have more confidence that Cary Williams will compete and shake off whatever teams through at him, vs Simon....I'd rather teams test Blackmon and Tye Smith vs Simon in nickel or dime packages early at St. Louis and at Green Bay.

The key to the defense is making sure Jordan Hill, Frank Clark, Cassius Marsh and Brandon Mebane get through the regular season in one piece....if that happens, we can beat anyteam, home and away, provided that Bennett, Avril and Rubin are starting and on the patrol of run defense, keeping Wagner clean.

This projects to be the deepest and strongest Seahawk roster ever assembled....it is finally balanced with playmakers on both sides of the ball, people that draw penalties on offense (Graham and Lockette will draw mulitple PI penalties) and Baldwin will be re-slotted to his proper role of going up against a 2nd or 3rd CB, where he will be more productive.

For those still disgrunted about whatever debacle it was at the end of SB49, you are only truly excellent if you maintain that over an extended period of time, not necessarily how many SB's you win in a row. If you win 4 in a 8 year span, (which is what we will see), then I'll take my chances with this roster the next 3 years vs any other roster assembled anyone else IF, you eliminate Simon from the equation and keep the defensive rotation intact and healthy.
I love Simon's potential. Last year was his first real NFL season. He definitely hit the rookie wall, was a bit too emo, didn't handle an injury well, and struggled with a small quick guy to cover.

But put together a highlight reel of his good plays and it is impressive. Still, unless Williams is a flop, I expect Simon to be a backup. Not because of Williams salary, but because I don't expect Simon to suddenly act in a mature manner.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Every problem Simon has, to my eyes, is coachable and thats why Ive been high on him since last year. His technique playing Edelman was poor in the Super Bowl, he should have been taking one side away with his positioning and first jam but he wasnt...but he will learn that.

Blackmon is a journeyman, Tye Smith is a fifth rounder which means they see potential but also hes lacking in some areas.. I doubt we see him this coming year much at all, but if we do it will be late in the year.

Could all be wrong..Im excited to see how it shakes out!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the battles for left guard, center and nickel corner. All important positions and great competition and talent.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I get giddy thinking of Baldwin, Matthews, Lockett, Graham, Beast Mode and Wilson in the red zone.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Vetamur":16xet6lv said:
Every problem Simon has, to my eyes, is coachable and thats why Ive been high on him since last year. His technique playing Edelman was poor in the Super Bowl, he should have been taking one side away with his positioning and first jam but he wasnt...but he will learn that.

Blackmon is a journeyman, Tye Smith is a fifth rounder which means they see potential but also hes lacking in some areas.. I doubt we see him this coming year much at all, but if we do it will be late in the year.

Could all be wrong..Im excited to see how it shakes out!

I agree with the assessment on Simon. Lane has been in on most of the games and taking all the snaps available. Coaching Simon up will make him better and a quality CB.