Madden: Super Bowl will haunt Pete Carroll forever

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Well considering he does have a SB championship...way to state the obvious without acknowledging that he's already won one Madden

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Glad we won at least one, The Bills went to 3 straight SB only to lose em, and losing another one, totaling up to 4 in the 1990's......

drdiags

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":9adyw1ac said:
Glad we won at least one, The Bills went to 3 straight SB only to lose em, and losing another one, totaling up to 4 in the 1990's......

They lost 4 straight. And haven't been back since. The first one against the Giants was the heartbreaker they never recovered from.

Think of the Vikings, 0-4. Were heavy favorites against the Chiefs. The Bengals losing twice to the 9ers and haven't been back since.

The loss to the Pats hurt because of the chance to be one of the legendary teams of the ages but it wasn't in the cards. I agree with the sentiment about having one in the trophy case. The haters can have their fun but they can never take away what has already been earned. Just try to belittle it.

Jets won SB 3 and haven't been back since. That has got to hurt.

Pete will be haunted but some of the players on the team were devastated because that may have been their best chance to earn their first (Kevin Williams, Moeaki etc..)

seabowl

Reaction score
How's that Immaculate Reception feel now Johnny? Still hurts right? Thought so.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
drdiags":3bdbxy0e said:
theincrediblesok":3bdbxy0e said:

They lost 4 straight. And haven't been back since. The first one against the Giants was the heartbreaker they never recovered from.

Think of the Vikings, 0-4. Were heavy favorites against the Chiefs. The Bengals losing twice to the 9ers and haven't been back since.

The loss to the Pats hurt because of the chance to be one of the legendary teams of the ages but it wasn't in the cards. I agree with the sentiment about having one in the trophy case. The haters can have their fun but they can never take away what has already been earned. Just try to belittle it.

Pete will be haunted but some of the players on the team were devastated because that may have been their best chance to earn their first (Kevin Williams, Moeaki etc..)

Your right it was 4 straight SB appearances, ouch, that's gotta hurt like hell. Looking at the Bills stats during that time, Jim Kelly was pretty good for that 4 year stretch in the regular season, but when it came to postseason he was horrible. His defense was middle of the pack ranked by DVOA, but the odd thing was after 1994 his defense started to get better, but he started to get worse until he was done by 1996.

It does sting less that we won one before losing one, we still have 3 more years including this year to see how everything plays out with the same core group we have now, but with added offensive weapons.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
drdiags":31ab9ufh said:
theincrediblesok":31ab9ufh said:

The Lions have never even been to one. I am so glad Seattle isn't in that situation. So glad I stuck with them after we moved to Michigan. I feel so sorry for my friends out here.

kearly

Reaction score
It's a bit like XL in the sense that winning one down the road will help wash the feeling away to an extent.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I'm sure Pete will never forget it, but he is wired way differently that Madden. He'll never forget, but he's already put it behind him. Too many positive vibes come off the guy to keep him down..

nanomoz

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":37j1niyh said:
drdiags":37j1niyh said:
theincrediblesok":37j1niyh said:

Your right it was 4 straight SB appearances, ouch, that's gotta hurt like hell. Looking at the Bills stats during that time, Jim Kelly was pretty good for that 4 year stretch in the regular season, but when it came to postseason he was horrible. His defense was middle of the pack ranked by DVOA, but the odd thing was after 1994 his defense started to get better, but he started to get worse until he was done by 1996.

It does sting less that we won one before losing one, we still have 3 more years including this year to see how everything plays out with the same core group we have now, but with added offensive weapons.

You mean, not counting XL? The Hawks lost their first.

AVL

Reaction score
Feel blessed if that is your worst nightmare.

RiverDog

Reaction score
kearly":1030nodc said:
It's a bit like XL in the sense that winning one down the road will help wash the feeling away to an extent.

Losing XL didn't bother me nearly as much as losing 49. In XL, the refs were something that was beyond our control and even if it was a fairly called game, a lot of other things would have had to have gone right for us to come out on top as we did end up losing by 11. We didn't bring our 'A' game that Sunday.

But in 49, we were ahead by two scores going into the 4th quarter, then after falling behind made an amazing comeback to get within one yard of taking the lead with under a minute to go, then proceeded to shoot ourselves in the foot with a horrendous play call/execution.

XL was a disappointing letdown for sure, but nothing like 49 IMO.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
nanomoz":yi38xhn4 said:
theincrediblesok":yi38xhn4 said:
drdiags":yi38xhn4 said:
theincrediblesok":yi38xhn4 said:

You mean, not counting XL? The Hawks lost their first.

Yeah I was just counting the Pete Carroll era only since this team have more years to contend with.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I disagree about XL vs 49. XL will always be a rape job that I will never forget. We never had a chance. At least in 49 we did, and the team did me proud. I still feel so awful for the players on the XL squad, especially big Walt.

drdiags

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":29ayrfo4 said:
The Lions have never even been to one. I am so glad Seattle isn't in that situation. So glad I stuck with them after we moved to Michigan. I feel so sorry for my friends out here.

I know Lions fans have to be miserable. I kept hoping Wayne Fontes would win one just to shut up the folks clowning him back in the day. I thought they had something with Schwartz but turns out he couldn't get them in line. They may do something with the new coach but now the defense is in a change period so I am not sure.

Doing a mental exercise to see how good my memory is:

The Eagles have been twice and lost both times. Cardinals been once and lost. Carolina once and lost. Falcons went once and lost. I think every other NFC team has been and won one.

On the AFC side, Titans went once and lost. Chargers went once and lost. Cleveland has never been to the SB. We know about the Bengals. Texans have never gone. Jaguars have never gone. Bills have never won, been 4 times.

So 3 teams have never gone from the AFC and 1 from the NFC have never been to the big game. Not sure if I am missing an obvious team but I think that is it.