Hawks-Taking a page from Patriots offense?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Not sure if this is pure coincidence or not, but Brady's primary receivers are a Super-sized TE who's a complete match-up nightmare and an undersized quick-twitch slot receiver who gets open by running good routes.

Of course, the two splash players the Hawks picked up fit those descriptions.

Not saying the offense will be a complete overhaul, the Hawks will smash defenses with Marshawn, RW will scramble, and the team will still throw the deep ball, but to have 2 players who can pick-up yards and move the chains with short passes would be a nice compliment to what the Hawks run..

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm hoping, cause now we can fully utilize the two TE set that Pete has been clamoring for ever since he got here. Graham and Willson will be the fastest TE set in the NFL, that will open things up for others.

netskier

Reaction score
Just guessing, but aren't both of these things part of his USC offense? Use the weapons you have.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
It's not so much copying Pats as it is a financial decision IMO. We wanted taller targets as options for this offense. What is available to us at a more cost effective situation was the best catching tight end and more quickness/versatility (Lockett).

On offense we will still strive to be a good mix of power running, Play-action, vertical passing and read-option threat. We are definitely not the Patriots offense.
This offense is as uniquely Russell Wilson as Patriots offense is the Brady Show.
Russell Wilson may not be a high volume passer but his footwork, ball handling and vertical passing are elite level. His threat to scramble for big plays is always felt.

two dog

Reaction score
When you have a chance to skin the Saints in a deal for one of the top two
tight ends in the league, that's not copying anybody. That's just smart.

Tyler Lockette was a must have. The return game was so feeble last year
that they had to do something. Why not the best return man in the draft ?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":27jr75lv said:
Russell Wilson may not be a high volume passer but his footwork, ball handling and vertical passing are elite level. His threat to scramble for big plays is always felt.

I'd say that's more of a function of the system he's in. He was a ''high-volume passer" at NC state, and did well enough to slay a few giants.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle did start showing more of a proclivity towards the quick passing game last year. And Wilson was shockingly good at it, thanks in part to the impact of Paul Richardson on short routes.

I see Graham and Lockette as being good at both quick and long developing plays, but they both stand out the most as scramble drill players. Graham is a guy you can trust even when he's covered, and Lockette would be a nightmare to cover for five seconds and has a knack for finding the holes in defenses.

Seattle's scramble drill ability has always been below average, but last year it was especially bad. I think that played a big role in how Seattle planned their offseason.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Pete's philosophy is run the ball, explosive plays from the QB, Utilizing the two TE sets, special teams special teams special teams, on every play they are always looking to throw the ball deep, and depend on the defense to make plays to get the offense back on a shorter field. He stated most of these during the Town Hall meeting, and the emphases was mostly about going deep, that's why they drafted Richardson.

2013 we had everyone of those things going our way, minus the two TE sets. Fast forward to 2014, and we lost pretty much most of those except running the ball and explosive plays from the QB. The defense couldn't get off the field most of the time and the offense couldn't score as much when they were in the redzone. Special teams couldn't get us in good field position and we were more often behind the 20 yard line and sometimes backed up into our own endzone.

Now we finally got a playmaker in Graham who can score at anytime and is a threat, and we Lockett to get our special teams back. Field position was huge for us in 2013, I hope to see it again this year.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I mean we'd need Willson to catch the ball for it to actually be a threat.

I think we just wanted a playmaker and the Saints presented the opportunity.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel the Graham and Lockett additions have little to do with copying another team's offensive philosophy.

Carroll has a defensive mindset, Defense is important, while the above additions give Wilson more dynamic weapons, I can't help but think of "Preperation is in the seperation".

Edelman and Gronk tore the Seahawks up in that 2nd half. Part of that reason was Cliff Avril being out.

Graham might not be Gronk, Lockett might not be Edelman but thier close in talent. But we did see draft high for Frank Clark.

Those 3 players will help the defense prepare and be ready for all situations. And I thought that was a big reason why Seahawks sold high on guys like Harvin and Richardson because in the past those types of players gave the Seahawks fits.

Carroll and the players are always preaching doing what you can control. And as Knox said perfect practice makes perfect.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
This front office always looks to add game changers.

The big ones:

They initially drafted Earl Thomas with one of their first two picks. Game changer.

They traded for Marshawn Lynch. Game changer.

They drafted Russell Wilson. Game changer.

They traded for Percy Harvin. Epic fail in Seattle, but hard to knock the move at the time. Game changer*.

The opportunity this off-season was Jimmy Graham (and I believe, Lockett as well). More so than philosophy dictating moves, I believe they just earnestly try to improve and adapt the team every year for the next wave of challenges.

I personally believe the acquisition of Graham helps one person the most: Lynch. To a lesser extent, Wilson - sure. But are teams going to stack the box and attack Lynch all day? They almost have to play mostly nickel with Graham in this offense. They can't stack the box. SO, if anything... the running philosophy is strengthened.

The other exciting opportunity Graham (and Lockett) brings is when Houdini Wilson jail breaks the pocket, nobody is going to be able to stick coverage on either of those guys so if they can find the seams, there will be huge chunk plays.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":l75ypdwl said:

The big ones:

They initially drafted Earl Thomas with one of their first two picks. Game changer.

They traded for Percy Harvin. Epic fail in Seattle, but hard to knock the move at the time. Game changer*.

The opportunity this off-season was Jimmy Graham (and I believe, Lockett as well). More so than philosophy dictating moves, I believe they just earnestly try to improve and adapt the team every year for the next wave of challenges.

I personally believe the acquisition of Graham helps one person the most: Lynch. To a lesser extent, Wilson - sure. But are teams going to stack the box and attack Lynch all day? They almost have to play mostly nickel with Graham in this offense. They can't stack the box. SO, if anything... the running philosophy is strengthened.

The other exciting opportunity Graham (and Lockett) brings is when Houdini Wilson jail breaks the pocket, nobody is going to be able to stick coverage on either of those guys so if they can find the seams, there will be huge chunk plays.

Don't forget also that Doug's been his most consistent target when Wilson is playing sandlot, that's a trifecta with him, Graham and Lockett

brimsalabim

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3bvxga2p said:
Russ Willstrong":3bvxga2p said:

I'd say that's more of a function of the system he's in. He was a ''high-volume passer" at NC state, and did well enough to slay a few giants.

At NC State Russ was very very good at utilizing his big fast tight end over the top and down the middle. I'm hoping our new TE opens up some big things for our offense. Sure We have had a good defense to back him up and Lynch is one of the best but no other QB in the NFL has had to lead an offense with so little talent.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
netskier":32mlkm81 said:
Just guessing, but aren't both of these things part of his USC offense? Use the weapons you have.
With all due respect the Hawks have almost no similarity to Pete's USC offense. That college team was three deep in five star tallent and could simply out man most of the opposition. On the other hand our Seahawks offensive squad have been staffed with bottom of the league tallent in almost all of the starting positions. Out side of Lynch and RW we probably didn't start another player last season that would start for 75% of the league.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":qzp36p1n said:

The big ones:

Seems like you know football just a bit......

:sarcasm_off:

We're doing exactly what the rules dictate and that means first try and get a decent pass catching TE or any type of player that can exploit the seams and middle of the field.

And second force the defense into Nickel situations so you can run at will. Very simple really, it's all about the more things change the more they remain the same but just be so good at what you do they can't stop you. Like the 1960's Packers or the 1970's Steelers, both ran simple offense and defense but they were JUST better than you, just like the Seahawks.

Deal with it. :mrgreen:

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Forcing the nickel isn't as much as taking DB's away from the middle of the field......BUT it will require Seattle beating teams with their passing game, which will require Bevell to actually design planning to get Graham and Lockette involved. If Lockett and Graham are healthy for 14 to 16 games this year, Seattle goes 13-3 and hosts the NFC title game against vs Green Bay. :mrgreen:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think it's way way too early to have great expectations for Lockette. I don't see what he brings that is all that different from guys we already have had out there. The addition of Graham should help some by adding a quick target down the middle but our receivers will still need some routes that take them away from coverage instead of always running them into it. I know it's been explained that our routes are designed primarily to block for the run game instead of helping generate separation but we cod at least be more imaginative with the design.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
brimsalabim":28f67vzz said:
I think it's way way too early to have great expectations for Lockette. I don't see what he brings that is all that different from guys we already have had out there. The addition of Graham should help some by adding a quick target down the middle but our receivers will still need some routes that take them away from coverage instead of always running them into it. I know it's been explained that our routes are designed primarily to block for the run game instead of helping generate separation but we cod at least be more imaginative with the design.

LOCKETT. And you clearly havent watched him play. Not only is a game breaker threat as a returner, he does someting as a receiver our other WRs dont do well: create separation and get open.

You will come to really like this kid.

Tical21

Reaction score
Teams aren't going to play nickel against us until we exploit their base defense. They're still going to try to stop Marshawn first. Rest assured there will be no philosopical change. We tried that once. Hopefully we become a better version of ourselves. Remember guys, Lockett is a backup to our best receiver. He is playing the Bryan Walters role, which of course means half the important passes are going his direction. I like the kid too, but we havent exactly featured young skill players.