Wilson's Agent on right now with Brock and Salk

titan3131

Reaction score
WILSON WILL BE AT OTA TOMMOROW WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

Is he bringing Jimmy and Cliff?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Interesting interview.

Not anything earth shattering, but I did take away one thing, Russell and Rodgers are perfectly content in standing their ground and not panicking if Russell has to play for 1.5M this year.

Rodger's complimented Schneider on the way he's built the Hawks and does team friendly contracts to sustain a championship level team...............but pretty much said they're not budging on what Russell and he thinks he's worth. So any dreams of Russell taking a team friendly contract IMO are out the window. Sounds like Russell's just fine with being franchised for 2-3 years if something doesn't get done.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
McGruff":287jgk6d said:

Beat me to it McGruff. Thank you for being on the ball :D

< BROCK AND SALK | 710 ESPN SEATTLE
Russell Wilson's agent on contract negotiations with Seahawks
ORIGINALLY AIRED: THURSDAY, MAY 28, 2015
Mark Rodgers, the agent who represents Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, tells "Brock and Salk" about the status and nature of the negotiations with the team on a long-term contract extension.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8im3ht92 said:
Interesting interview.

Not anything earth shattering, but I did take away one thing, Russell and Rodgers are perfectly content in standing their ground and not panicking if Russell has to play for 1.5M this year.

Rodger's complimented Schneider on the way he's built the Hawks and does team friendly contracts to sustain a championship level team...............but pretty much said they're not budging on what Russell and he thinks he's worth. So any dreams of Russell taking a team friendly contract IMO are out the window. Sounds like Russell's just fine with being franchised for 2-3 years if something doesn't get done.

On the other hand he also said that the ongoing negotiations have been positive and encouraging and characterized that 95% of the speculation has probably been off-point.

My big take away is that QB contracts are a whole different beast than any other position in sports. These deals take time and it's not going to be choice between a Kaepernick style deal or Russell getting franchised multiple years.

These things take time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":3v2cq4lc said:
Sgt. Largent":3v2cq4lc said:
Interesting interview.

On the other hand he also said that the ongoing negotiations have been positive and encouraging and characterized that 95% of the speculation has probably been off-point.

My big take away is that QB contracts are a whole different beast than any other position in sports. These deals take time and it's not going to be choice between a Kaepernick style deal or Russell getting franchised multiple years.

These things take time.

For sure, I didn't mean to sound negative. Just pointing out that Russell and Rodgers are in this to get what they want, and aren't panicking if it takes years.

Totally positive that Russell isn't going to hold out or come into camp all disgruntled.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23fert2f said:
For sure, I didn't mean to sound negative. Just pointing out that Russell and Rodgers are in this to get what they want, and aren't panicking if it takes years.

Totally positive that Russell isn't going to hold out or come into camp all disgruntled.

I was more worried how Blitzer would take your comments. Ha ha.

I think if a fan sat down and listened to the the interview you would at the very least understand that contract talks are a process and a business. They are necessary and ongoing. Fans shouldn't expect immediate relief in the announcing of a new deal, but the idea that a deal won't ever get done is misguided. Russell is looking to get the best deal he can and the Hawks are trying to do the best thing for the organization.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ocn2ny8 said:
Interesting interview.

I'd expect him to say nothing different. Nobody ever says their going into a negotiation looking to sign at a team friendly number leaving money on the table.

I can also guarentee you he nor his client want to play at 1.5 this year and then get franchised the next 3 years. Especially with the brand of football RW plays. Let's be honest he opens himself up for much more punishment then the average qb.

aawolf

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1k02ze92 said:
Sgt. Largent":1k02ze92 said:
Interesting interview.

I'd expect him to say nothing different. Nobody ever says their going into a negotiation looking to sign at a team friendly number leaving money on the table.

I can also guarentee you he nor his client want to play at 1.5 this year and then get franchised the next 3 years. Especially with the brand of football RW plays. Let's be honest he opens himself up for much more punishment then the average qb.

I came away from hearing the interview feeling extremely optimistic considering the previous reports out there about how negotiations have broken down, RW feels disrespected, and all of RW's tweets about proving doubters wrong.

I got the impression, thankfully, that RW has PLANNED on playing this year for 1.5 mil. He's budgeted for it. He's not in a hurry. His focus is on being a winning QB for the Seahawks. His contract negotiations are ongoing, there has been no bottom line drawn by either side. That he doesn't have a contract through this year is not the gloom and doom some of us thought it was. THIS IS GOOD NEWS!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2socsqy7 said:

Logically this makes sense, but I honestly don't get this impression from Russell. He's seems confident and content in his ability to escape serious injury.........and it has ZERO factor in the contract negotiations.

Now maybe that's just leverage talking, but if it is, Russell's certainly convincing.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
This interview left me completely satisfied with the state of Russell's contract negotiations. His agent sounds very professional, and proud to be representing Russell both as his agent, and his friend.

The Contract will get done when it gets done, and neither John Schneider nor Russell Wilson are worried about it. They may tweet something, or say something in public trying to influence negotiations, but that's all part of the bargaining process in the 21st Century.

"Use every means at your disposal to achieve the desired result." That's how Russell Wilson lives, and that's how he plays the game. I know I've rethought how I go about my life after watching and listening to the new "Chairman of the Board."

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Basis4day":n066iin6 said:
Sgt. Largent":n066iin6 said:

I was more worried how Blitzer would take your comments. Ha ha.

I think if a fan sat down and listened to the the interview you would at the very least understand that contract talks are a process and a business. They are necessary and ongoing. Fans shouldn't expect immediate relief in the announcing of a new deal, but the idea that a deal won't ever get done is misguided. Russell is looking to get the best deal he can and the Hawks are trying to do the best thing for the organization.

Hey now........I understand that QB contracts are a whole different animal from any of the other contracts that have been extended so I can wait and understand that it will take a while, even though I prefer it be done sooner rather then later.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Basis4day":2da0ptrr said:
These deals take time and it's not going to be choice between a Kaepernick style deal or Russell getting franchised multiple years.

Yeah . I think it's safe to say that there's absolutely no chance of either of those things happening.

If the reports are true Wilson has already turned down a deal that's better than what Kap got, and on the other, using the franchise tag for even one year let alone two or three just doesn't make a lick of sense.

Of couse if it doesn't happen before next off-season I can see the Hawks applying the franchise tag as part of the bargainning, but him actually playing regular season games on it? Nah, that's not going to happen, IMO.

(the one problem with even having to use it in negotiations is you have to have the cap room to apply it even if you're never going to use it, which IIRC was the problem with the Lions slapping Suh witth it this off-season to get a deal done).

JSeahawks

Reaction score
#3 will be a seahawk for a long time. The contract will get done when it gets done. No point even worrying about it.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":247itrwm said:
#3 will be a seahawk for a long time. The contract will get done when it gets done. No point even worrying about it.

I believe this is true.

The question that keeps coming up is: how? What will the actual numbers look like? What is even possible cap-wise?

I'm glad Schneider is a cap-wizzard, and knows how to "deal" with guys like Wilson's agent.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I disagree, this is not good at all. If they can't reach an agreement and Russell is franchised for three years, we are going to have a four-year soap opera that is going to be terrible for everybody, and could potentially become volatile and cause some damage that can't be undone. The sides appear far too comfortable being so far apart. I know many will disagree with me, but I see a lot of this as Russell biting the hand that feeds him, not the other way around.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":1gpqeb3y said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree, this is not good at all. If they can't reach an agreement and Russell is franchised for three years, we are going to have a four-year soap opera that is going to be terrible for everybody, and could potentially become volatile and cause some damage that can't be undone. The sides appear far too comfortable being so far apart. I know many will disagree with me, but I see a lot of this as Russell biting the hand that feeds him, not the other way around.

If this is still going on in 2016 and 2017? Then I'm with you, because franchising a QB can destroy a salary cap.

But I'm not there yet, as things still seem positive from both sides.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Tical21":3juuiy78 said:

Yeah, it's going to be exactly like the Walter Jones situation that dragged on for years. Everyone hates that guy and he hates the Seahawks organization now because of it. It was just a disaster.

:sarcasm_off:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It will get done, whether that happens in June or February 2016.. it will get done