Reminiscing about the '04 season...

Ballz

Reaction score
It was a tough one as most of us remember. Most memorably losing to the Rams 3 times. Twice at home; one on an excruciating loss of a 17 point lead late in the 4th quarter, and the other in a close fought playoff game that extended our 2 decade long playoff win drought another year.

Two stats I found interesting since that playoff loss.

Record vs. the Rams at home: 10-0
Record in playoff games at home: 9-0

enamel

Reaction score
I remember Isaac Bruce staring down the South Endzone near the end of that playoff game. If he had been at arm's length I think I really would have strangled him. Winning the division, then having a rival come in and beat us in our house, going 3-0 on us in a single freaking season. It was truly humiliating.

Vetamur

Reaction score
That season and the Rams losses really traumatized me. It built them into supermen for a while to me, I was deadly afraid of them, and oddly..because of how that seasons played out..I was terrified of their #3 and #4 receivers. For YEARS afterwards I expected the worst every time we played them..

Maulbert

Reaction score
Ballz":3f9w6w6p said:
It was a tough one as most of us remember. Most memorably losing to the Rams 3 times. Twice at home; one on an excruciating loss of a 17 point lead late in the 4th quarter, and the other in a close fought playoff game that extended our 2 decade long playoff win drought another year.

Not only that, but Seattle won 10 straight against the Rams following that playoff loss, and we're 17-3 against them since then. We also have not lost a playoff opener since then (as a matter of fact, last years Cardinals are the only NFC West team to lose their playoff opener since then).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Man, I hated the Rams that year. Seahawks should have beat them 2 out of the 3. Just painful.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
That season is the reason that I enjoy every win over the Rams moreso than any other divisional opponent.

49ers? Meh. Beat the goddamn Rams. Beat them so badly that it demoralizes their fans repeatedly to the point where they don't even fight to keep the team in St. Louis.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Ballz":2abdkzhd said:

I remember the next year heading into the playoffs all the talking heads doubting the Seahawks because they hadn't won a playoff game in 21 years.

And at the time, it felt like they were right, like we were jinxed. That loss to Miami in 99 still bothers me.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
HawkFan72":amrwrow3 said:
Man, I hated the Rams that year. Seahawks should have beat them 2 out of the 3. Just painful.

Effing Dane Looker.

grizbob

Reaction score
I missed most of that season because my priorities got rearranged due my wife's disappearance in an apparent abduction. Found out weeks later she faked it. The next season I spent recovering from a large stroke and missed all but XL.

So here's to another Super Bowl run for '15 :thirishdrinkers: enjoy it while you can it can all go away in a moment! :0190l:

OP
OP
B

Ballz

Reaction score
I also had a very unhealthy hate for Mike Martz, Marc Bulger, Torry Holt, etc... after that season.

I remember that regular season home loss well. We had started 3-0, and we're 7 minutes (with a 17 point lead) away from 4-0. We had like 3 opportunities to win the game with just a first down, and could not convert. The last one was a pass right in Bobby Engram's chest that he couldn't bring in.

Then when it went to overtime, I believe it was Shaun MacDonald that caught the game winner on a long touchdown pass in a time when they only needed the field goal. If I remember right, this game put us in a funk for the next couple weeks dropping us to 3-3.

Then there was also the Monday Night Cowboys debacle that season. Another game where we had like a 10 point lead at the 2 minute warning, only to see Julius freaking Jones rack up like 100 rushing yards in what seemed like 4 plays, and an onside kick recovered against us and another unbearable loss.

Everything about that season was painful.

OP
OP
B

Ballz

Reaction score
We only won the division that year thanks to an Isaiah Kacyvenski stop on a 2 point conversion attempt by the Atlanta Falcons on the last play of the game, in the final game of the season. The same game where Shaun Alexander was "stabbed in the back".

grizbob

Reaction score
Hass2Carlson":2a072krg said:
That overtime loss was the only time I saw a Seattle home game...crazy

The "Hail Mary" game was mine so maybe there's balance in the world after all ;)

seahawk2k

Reaction score
After that season I had to step away and reevaluate how seriously I took my fandom because 2004 damn near killed me. The Rams losses were brutal, the blown 17 point lead, Shaun Alexander fumbling the ball while running for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of the game in St Louis, Bobby Engram's dropped touchdown. Scarred me for a long time with the Rams. Was constantly terrified.

The worst game for me was that Dallas MNF game. If memory serves, we were up 14-3, down 29-14, up 39-29 and then lost 43-39. I didn't watch the win against Minnesota the following week, I just couldn't take it.

It wasn't until well into the 2005 season where I really was all in again. It took a long long time to recover from 2004 and I'm not ever sure I ever got back to that raw, unbridled emotion. It was just horrifying. I think if you could somehow pull up the statistics of my posts on Seahawks message boards from 2000-2004, and then 2005 and on, you would see a sudden, precipitous drop.

drdiags

Reaction score
Yeah, the Isaac Bruce taunt, Terrial Berria at safety, the MNF Keyshaun Johnson no-catch. 2004 stunk with the final nail being the loss to the Rams and Boulware being torched. He was never the same after that game. His star was bright in my eyes up to then.

I thought Holmgren was going to quit. Turns out Allen fooled me and fired Whitsett. Reinfeldt pulled off the miracle of signing Matt and Walter, then franchising Alexander. The team had 18 Free Agents that year and HFSD1's favorite GM Ruskell (don't hurt me HFSD1 - hee hee) came in to add a few pieces and XL was set in motion.

Then we got the screw job of all-time after a crap season of all-time the year before. Damn Lucy with the football buzz kill.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I remember Hass finally snapping and punching the ground after ANOTHER WR drop when Engram dropped the game-tying TD.

The drops from 2003 to the start of 2005 were obscene. D-Jack, Koren.. then they traded for Jerry Rice and his first pass was a drop :lol: felt so bad for Hass.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ik44cm5 said:
I remember Hass finally snapping and punching the ground after ANOTHER WR drop when Engram dropped the game-tying TD.

The drops from 2003 to the start of 2005 were obscene. D-Jack, Koren.. then they traded for Jerry Rice and his first pass was a drop :lol: felt so bad for Hass.

There's a reason the nickname "Maxwell House" was so often applied to our WR corps.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":358jzxgl said:

The drops were bad pretty much all of Hasselbeck's career in Seattle.

Then they stopped being a noteworthy problem after he left.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":15990h68 said:
Hasselbeck":15990h68 said:

The drops were bad pretty much all of Hasselbeck's career in Seattle.

Then they stopped being a noteworthy problem after he left.

You dont think.....na...say it isnt so......That maybe his balls were overinflated???? :sarcasm_off:

Sorry, someone had to do it. :mrgreen: