K.J. Wright on NFL.com's All-Underrated Team

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Outside linebacker: K.J. Wright, Seattle Seahawks
Wright narrowly edges the Titans' Derrick Morgan, based on Wright's greater experience at the linebacker position and his versatility within Seattle's defense; he could play inside or outside, as we saw when he filled in for an injured Bobby Wagner last season. Speaking of Wagner, how many Seahawks defenders get at least 10 times the press given to Wright? Let's see, there's Wagner, Michael Bennett, Brandon Mebane, Bruce Irvin, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. And yet, Wright was the one who led the team in tackles (107) in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap30000 ... rated-team

Led the best defense in the league in tackles, had three forced fumbles, and led the LB corps in passes defended. Can play all three LB positions relatively well, and despite being regularly attacked for allowing a few receptions to TEs, he has been solid overall in coverage and no worse than Wagner in that area. Nice to see Wright getting some recognition, even if it's for not getting enough recognition.

[youtube]TnXOzhxNDaY[/youtube]

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I really do not see it. KJ strikes me as an average, to slightly above average player at best. He's not anything special, and I would not lose any sleep if he was not on the team. KJ is a good player that is replacement level. There were a few games this year where he was exploited big time, he also looked noticeably worse when Wagner wasn't playing, almost as if he was lost.

Fade

Reaction score
I see a slightly above average player who offers scheme versatility.

*edit* And he looks like Karl Malone.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The article goes out of it's way to point out the leading the team in tackles where both Wager and Kam had injury riddled seasons.

That said, I think KJ is a player that you pay about 2.5 million at the beginning of the contact and maybe 5 million towards the end with guaranteed money in the first 2-3 years. He's a really solid player, albeit not a playmaker even though he predominantly plays a playmakers position. His value is that he can play all 3 spots if you really need it. That really is a valuable player. My only issue with KJ right now is that we overpaid. Sure, I'd like him to run faster and be a better pass rusher, but as it stands he's a linebacker you like to have around. None of that means that I hope KPL doesn't give him a run for his money at WLB though.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If you don't think Wright is much above average or replacement level, you don't remember when the Hawks Trotted out an 84-year-old, 800-pound Levon Kirkland or an Isaiah Kascyvinski that ran a 6.5 forty. :p Perspective people!

dopeboy206

Reaction score
K.J. Wright is the Derrick McKey of the the Seahawks.

James Carpenter is the Benoit Benjamin

Christine Michael is the Rich King of the team. lol

dopeboy206

Reaction score
nanomoz":1mtt7fzc said:
If you don't think Wright is much above average or replacement level, you don't remember when the Hawks Trotted out an 84-year-old, 800-pound Levon Kirkland or an Isaiah Kascyvinski that ran a 6.5 forty. :p Perspective people!
Yea but we also remember Chad Brown and Julian Peterson

Maulbert

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3piwfzti said:
nanomoz":3piwfzti said:

Two words: Aaron Curry.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":7xtc8gxg said:
nanomoz":7xtc8gxg said:

I remember Julian Peterson from such games as the two Niner games each year and one other random game a year.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
KJ plays in the shadow of Sherm, Earl, Kam and Bobby.

He's not the best in the league at his position, but he's pretty damn good.

And yes, he's overpaid but not ridiculously.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
You could say he's a bit underrated though. He's almost never mentioned, while still being that above average solid starter.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hmmm....I always thought KJ got waaay more pub than Bobby until this last year.

It was good to see Bobby finally get some love imo

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Watch the SB again and then tell me how good he is in coverage.

M.M.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Both Brown and Peterson were predominately SLB for the Seahawks.

Wright is an ILB turned SLB turned WLB. He's still learning how to play in space and in coverage.

And it hasn't helped Wright's experience getting injured in 2013 missing 5 games nor has Bobby Wagner missing 7 games over the last two years forcing Wright to play MLB.

Wright might not do anything at elite level but he his reasonably solid at everything they ask him to do. And I think he is still improving.

Unlike most of us, who are highly critical on every mistake, the Seahawks have been weighing and measuring Wright against his strengths and weaknesses from first hand experience since day 1.

The Seahawks, professional coaches and managers and scouts have compiled all that data and are paying Wright for what he has done plus they likely believe Wright has more potential to tap into becoming a top WLB once he gets fully comfortable.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think a player can be overpaid and under-rated at the same time. Ultimately, a player's value to the team is based on how many wins (or fractions of a win) he adds per dollar. And in that kind of ranking, Wright is near the bottom of our roster.

I know that the article is referring to perception vs. reality, not moneyball. But at the end of the day, a player can't be evaluated only by his performance, but by his value as an asset.

Among non-rookie contract guys, the most under-rated Seahawk last year was Kevin Williams, IMO. Still a very good player, but largely ignored thanks to an inglorious run stopper role and ageism.

Jville

Reaction score
Today's example of the value of KJ's versatility ..... reinforced by the possibilities of intergrating Pierre-Louis into the starting mix.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/605857422008152064[/tweet]

justafan

Reaction score
I think the coaching staffs value on him versus the press or even hometown fans validate the article, he is underated IMO.
As far as his coverage skills Brady and Gronk will torch any LB in the league.Im not going to hold that against him.That was more along the lines of being outcoached.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Jville":38w7msps said:
Today's example of the value of KJ's versatility ..... reinforced by the possibilities of intergrating Pierre-Louis into the starting mix.

Kind of called that one. I think it's pretty plain to see that KPL shows some explosive playmaking ability at WLB.

Wright's more natural position is SLB, but we still lose something with him playing there in that he's not a very good pass rusher at all. The 4-3 Under is essentially an odd (meaning odd gap numbers) shift to a 3-4 defense. This is why having a player like Irvin play the SLB spot is really ideal. He's fast enough to turn and run, has molded his body for the strength to set the edge, and also is adept as a pass rusher. If you wanted to drop the Leo into coverage to throw off the opposing Center's line calls and then bring the SLB it's really no different than what you'd see in a 3-4 defense with the exception of the "odd" alignment.

Again, I do like KJ, it's just that wherever you put him you lose some real playmaking even though he can step in and sort of shore up any linebacker position. Either way...valuable player.

Fade

Reaction score
Jville":3f7j5b2i said:

justin-wilcox-9-27-12.gif

KPL > KJ @ WLB