Darrell Bevell OTA Press Conference 6/2/15

Jville

Reaction score
Video Darrell Bevell OTA Press Conference >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/06/02/darrell-bevell-ota-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

Audio link >>> [urltargetblank]http://prod.video.seahawks.clubs.nfl.com/SEA/videos/dct/video_audio/2015/06-June/150602bevell-32k.mp3[/urltargetblank]

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Waste of your time to even listen to this clown. Too bad we are going to have to have a BAD year before they cn "move him"

M.M.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Marlin Man":x84xkm2t said:
Waste of your time to even listen to this clown. Too bad we are going to have to have a BAD year before they cn "move him"

M.M.

Do you ever wonder how we've had any success at all with him calling plays? We have fantastic players on O who have helped make him look better plenty of times (RW's scrambling, for sure), but who have also failed at other times to execute what may have been perfectly called plays for the down and distance.

He's not the worst, and until we can find a better replacement (always compete?), he's our OC. What does a "BAD" year look like? Not making it to, or deep in, the playoffs? Missing the SB?

I would bet if we let him go, some team would gladly replace their OC with Bevell, and find it an upgrade.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Marlin Man":nq19zk4r said:

M.M.

Sorry, but your opinion isn't really valid considering the recent success of the Hawks. Bevell, Pete and Russell have designed an offense that minimizes the turnovers to take advantage of a defense that keeps our opponents lean on the scoreboard. Bev is very good strategizing for our read offense, which makes the most of Russell's talents. Not only that, but considering we are a run-oriented offense that employs Marshawn's talents, the passing game has been primarily focused on moving the chains to keep a drive going. Most of the time we're plowing ahead with the running game, which might not show direct results in the first half, but by the second half we've whittled away at our foe's defense with our bullrush, they get worn out and we pull out wins. If you don't like wins, then yeah, Bevell's probably not your guy. But I'll certainly take an offensive coordinator that has allowed us to get to back-to-back Super Bowls with the good chance of a third one on the way.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2wo1haxh said:
Marlin Man":2wo1haxh said:

M.M.

Sorry, but your opinion isn't really valid considering the recent success of the Hawks. Bevell, Pete and Russell have designed an offense that minimizes the turnovers to take advantage of a defense that keeps our opponents lean on the scoreboard. Bev is very good strategizing for our read offense, which makes the most of Russell's talents. Not only that, but considering we are a run-oriented offense that employs Marshawn's talents, the passing game has been primarily focused on moving the chains to keep a drive going. Most of the time we're plowing ahead with the running game, which might not show direct results in the first half, but by the second half we've whittled away at our foe's defense with our bullrush, they get worn out and we pull out wins. If you don't like wins, then yeah, Bevell's probably not your guy. But I'll certainly take an offensive coordinator that has allowed us to get to back-to-back Super Bowls with the good chance of a third one on the way.

I used to say this, but there is the legitimate sense that we've been winning despite Bevell.

An awful lot of our back-to-back Super Bowl runs have been predicated on Russell Wilson extending broken passing plays. Given all the injuries, protection issues, and narrow scrapes in the conference standings, I wonder if even one fewer broken-turned-big play might have cost us one of our Halas trophies.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What kind of fan wishes a player or coach to have a bad year just to remove him?

We could do a lot worst in this league. Bevell might not be the best but other than Lynch and Wilson who has his short-comings as a passer it's not like Bevell has had a lot of established talent To work with with the WR/TE/Oline groups especially considering all the injuries that has befallen those groups over the years.

I think Bevell is a good OC he's just pisspoor adjusting his game plan until the last hour. How much of that is Carroll, I don't know but I'm sure his boundaries on ball control have an effect on the vanilla offenses we've seen in games considerably in the first half.

I'm exciting to see what Bevell can do with Graham, Matthews, and Lockett in the mix.

Tical21

Reaction score
I like Bevell but his fateful decision created a toxic situation. I still can't wrap my arms around the fact that we brought this guy back. I don't see it ending well.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Bevell is an average OC in my opinion. Makes great calls and terrible ones.Throwing into traffic at the goal line without using any end zone space is unforgivable with the super bowl on the line. Carroll got too much blame and Bevell didn't get enough. Vikings with Favre should have made the Super Bowl if it wasn't for a bad play call from Bevell as well. There was another bad play call he made too I can't remember what it was tho

Hawks46

Reaction score
I've bitched about Bevell just as much as most here have, but I'd agree with the sentiment that we could do worse.

We typically have a revolving OL. Not just a revolving door at spots, but damn near the entire OL.

Both of our starting WR's were UDFA's. They're ok WRs, but none of them tilt the field. None of them have to be game planned for.

Bevell has basically been working with: WIlson and his spontaneous play, and Lynch's ability to make almost any OL look good.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":1d105uxy said:
Bevell is an average OC in my opinion. Makes great calls and terrible ones.Throwing into traffic at the goal line without using any end zone space is unforgivable with the super bowl on the line. Carroll got too much blame and Bevell didn't get enough. Vikings with Favre should have made the Super Bowl if it wasn't for a bad play call from Bevell as well. There was another bad play call he made too I can't remember what it was tho
As someone who's watched the Vikings his whole life, I can tell you that this statement in regards to the 2009 NFC championship game has no merit. The coaching staff kept the team in the game in spite of 6 turnovers. And it's convenient you point out last year's Super Bowl, but totally discount the offensive pounding we put on Denver in 48. That was Bevell too.
Even though last year's decisive play call was a touchdown waiting to happen with the proper execution, I'd guess Bevell wouldn't dial up the same play with the same personnel. Now with Jimmy ....
Point is, it's so convenient for fans who don't watch that close to simply shake their finger at the offensive coordinator as a convenient scapegoat. And I understand that. But Bevell is as valuable as any member of the coaching staff, Pete puts his trust in him, and as I said in an earlier post, it's very foolish to even suggest messing with a coaching staff that has put the Hawks in the Super Bowl the last two seasons.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's our OC, personally think he's a blockhead, and am not especially fond of his calls on O and think he's not really as capable as the players he has make him look from time to time. Then there are moments when he should be axed as fast as he could be, and the team moves on to an OC who knows what he's doing situationally and knows the percentages of success, because there are times when it appears he sure doesn't.

For the record the call from the 1 in XLIX, was so galactically stupid it should have got him fired right after the game or shortly around then, and Bevell is lucky that PC took it on himself. I can't believe he got away with throwing one of him players under the bus when he called the play that ended the team's chances to win a consecutive SB, that move reflected his real character to me and isn't very flattering to him. I believe the team could do better.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3oo06kiv said:
He's our OC, personally think he's a blockhead, and am not especially fond of his calls on O and think he's not really as capable as the players he has make him look from time to time. Then there are moments when he should be axed as fast as he could be, and the team moves on to an OC who knows what he's doing situationally and knows the percentages of success, because there are times when it appears he sure doesn't.

For the record the call from the 1 in XLIX, was so galactically stupid it should have got him fired right after the game or shortly around then, and Bevell is lucky that PC took it on himself. I can't believe he got away with throwing one of him players under the bus when he called the play that ended the team's chances to win a consecutive SB, that move reflected his real character to me and isn't very flattering to him. I believe the team could do better.

Give me the link that he threw Lockette under the bus as you are bellyaching about. I know exactly what he said and it wasn't more than just saying the play was there if executed properly. But as in this case, so many parrots out there that distort the actual context of what was said. I guess it's more sludge from the tweet generation.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
In the aftermath of the game after PC and RW each stepped up DB called out Lockette for not going hard enough to the ball thus deflecting the blame for the call. To me this was Bevell not manning up and deflecting blame when he should have indicated he took a chance and more risk when the numbers indicated the Patriots had trouble stopping the run in a situation like that and the team also had ML and Tukuafu.

You are free to slobber this OC's jock if you want but there now too many times when he fails to play the high % play. Well, to me at any rate

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
In looking in on an organization from the outside ...... I think our comprehension of what coaches, staff and personnel are doing is imperfect. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the views of critics outside of the organization are imperfect and sometimes flawed. I think much of the more outlandish criticism is an expression of frustration born out of a struggle for comprehension.

Comprehension is the listener's / viewer's responsibility with regard to understanding what takes place on the field of play at the stadium and thru the filtered broadcasts of radio, tv and video. Bevell's loudest detractors are among those who struggle the most. His boss, Pete Carroll, has likewise been subjected to harsh criticism born out of flawed and imperfect comprehension as to what he is about. Carroll has also been call stupid and much worse. It is the detractors' frustration with the limits of their own comprehension that motivates such attacks.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3oairm8m said:
Crizilla":3oairm8m said:
As someone who's watched the Vikings his whole life, I can tell you that this statement in regards to the 2009 NFC championship game has no merit. The coaching staff kept the team in the game in spite of 6 turnovers. And it's convenient you point out last year's Super Bowl, but totally discount the offensive pounding we put on Denver in 48. That was Bevell too.
Even though last year's decisive play call was a touchdown waiting to happen with the proper execution, I'd guess Bevell wouldn't dial up the same play with the same personnel. Now with Jimmy ....
Point is, it's so convenient for fans who don't watch that close to simply shake their finger at the offensive coordinator as a convenient scapegoat. And I understand that. But Bevell is as valuable as any member of the coaching staff, Pete puts his trust in him, and as I said in an earlier post, it's very foolish to even suggest messing with a coaching staff that has put the Hawks in the Super Bowl the last two seasons.

This is the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it argument". But it doesn't stack up in the NFL. If you are complacent you lose.

That is why we added JG. I'm hopeful Bevell can figure out ways to use him effectively.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":21nc3kfl said:
In the aftermath of the game after PC and RW each stepped up DB called out Lockette for not going hard enough to the ball thus deflecting the blame for the call. To me this was Bevell not manning up and deflecting blame when he should have indicated he took a chance and more risk when the numbers indicated the Patriots had trouble stopping the run in a situation like that and the team also had ML and Tukuafu.

You are free to slobber this OC's jock if you want but there now too many times when he fails to play the high % play. Well, to me at any rate

First of all, I don't slobber over anyone's jock. If that's your sexual proclivity in life, then you can talk to others who play on YOUR team that way.

Second of all, get it right. Pete called for a pass. Bevell called the play. So if you want to blame someone for not going with the run, blame the right person if blame is what you need to do.

Third of all, this is the team and coaching staff we have assembled. Do you really think your whining and complaining is productive as far as taking it the distance?

Fade

Reaction score
Bevell is a boob. I'm Hoping Jimmy Graham is enough to make up for his boobery.

It amazes how the Seahawks coaching staff gets raided every off-season, yet Bevell is still here.

Why do you think that is? Boob.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
I never liked DB before that call in the SB.. he calls a vanilla game that is very predictable and never goes for the kill.. how many games have we almost lost with a big lead because in the 3rd and 4th we go RUN RUN PASS PUNT over and over and over? it kills me..... we have the most talented roster in the NFL... we should be scoring at a much higher rate then we do IMO and 99% is playcalling.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Lots of fantasy football players on here tonight I see. The guy with the Boob fetish, not even sure what he is. Must be fantasizing over the latest Vanity Fair magazine cover girl/guy with those comments.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
In any event, just glad Pete, who knows a little more than you geniuses, realizes that Bevell is an important part of his coaching staff and trusts him with the offense. That's all that really matters.