Tuesday OTA comments from the app

Vetamur

Reaction score
I have the Seahawk app and I assume stuff there is on seahawks.com but I am far too busy (read: lazy) to confirm it.. a couple of things I hadnt seen mentioned here that I thought were worth noting:

1) Russell Wilson put on another 10 pounds of muscle (over his listed playing weight of 206) over the off season while working with a new personal trainer. Apparently a big focus was getting faster, but he also said the extra leg muscle also helps arm strength. It sounded like getting caught from behind by linebackers last year a couple times sort of irked the competitive side of him.

2) BJ Daniels is almost totally a WR (and returner now) and only worked as a QB last week because Wilson was gone. I sort of , kind of almost feel bad for Daniels in that case. Hes in a crowded position group and needs the reps at the new position but spent half the OTAs throwing the ball.

3) Earl Thomas participated in everything except 11 on 11s. Thats ahead of schedule.

4) Ryan Robinson (whos name is the same as the kid whose arm I broke in junior high..and to whom I never apologized..sorry Ryan!) got some reps with the First Team at DE. Jordan Hill started at DT with Rubin since Mebane and McDaniel sat out.

5) Christine Michael was held out of OTAs on Tuesday. Thats sort of a big deal since this is supposed to be his big chance with Lynch not there and Turbin recovering from hip surgery. Thomas Rawls and Rod Smith (Rod Smith has got to be the most common NFL name of the past 10 years..), undrafted rookies, took all the snaps at RB. Pretty exciting for them I would bet.

6) not news of course..but this bears repeating: RJ Archer is our only full time back up QB. He is 27 years old, who signed with the Vikings after going undrafted in 2010. He played 3 years of Arena football.. as far as I can tell he was out of football in 2013 and 2014?? and now he is our main back up? Now, he has a perfect NAME for a QB.. but is this the best we can do? If TJack does get a better offer somewhere, surely Archer is not our only option?

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this stuff.

6. I would agree w/ the backup QB situation. I bet they are going to have a sharp eye on that waiver wire during cuts this year............OHH, and don't call me Shirley. :thirishdrinkers:

McGruff

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked if Pete is keeping an eye on two former proteges in Philadelphia, knowing that one or the other is probably going to get cut before the season starts.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Why not have M. Vick come here for the backup position? He would be a perfect fit with kind of similar playing style RW and an experienced qb who could step in if, God-forbid, RW gets injured.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
northseahawk":3th698ij said:
Why not have M. Vick come here for the backup position? He would be a perfect fit with kind of similar playing style RW and an experienced qb who could step in if, God-forbid, RW gets injured.

They're both good athletes, that's about the only similarity I see. Wilson is a qb who happens to be an athlete, Vick is an athlete who happens to be a qb. Significant difference.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Not a good sign? I'm pretty sure it's only June OTAs.

It doesn't speculate why he was held out, could be that he got most of the work load the first week and the team wanted to give him rest while evaluating the other RBs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2mbi2kno said:

It doesn't speculate why he was held out, could be that he got most of the work load the first week and the team wanted to give him rest while evaluating the other RBs.

Yea I'd say it's not a good sign. Pete came out and said this was his chance to take a hold of the position.

In the past, Pete and Cable have both said durability has been an issue with Michael, as well as picking up stuff like pass blocking and hitting the right hole at the right time.

It doesn't seem congruent for Pete to make a comment like that about Michael, then hold him out of an OTA and let 2 UDFA rookies that probably won't make the team get all his reps. I'm betting it's a hammy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1wey7il4 said:
I wouldn't be shocked if Pete is keeping an eye on two former proteges in Philadelphia, knowing that one or the other is probably going to get cut before the season starts.

I've thought this since before the draft and wondered if the team would even trade a late draft pick for Barkley (who'd be cheaper than Jackson to add to the team). At present the team has an offer to TJack that he apparently thinks he may be able to beat if some team winds up needing a backup or street FA QB to help themselves. Seems like a waiting game for the real backup QB to be determined.

My expectation at present is that Jackson will reluctantly return, but Barkley or Sanchez would certainly be interesting.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawks46":19af4tj1 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":19af4tj1 said:

Yea I'd say it's not a good sign. Pete came out and said this was his chance to take a hold of the position.

In the past, Pete and Cable have both said durability has been an issue with Michael, as well as picking up stuff like pass blocking and hitting the right hole at the right time.

It doesn't seem congruent for Pete to make a comment like that about Michael, then hold him out of an OTA and let 2 UDFA rookies that probably won't make the team get all his reps. I'm betting it's a hammy.

Clayton said he was held out do to an unspecified injury.

SC

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I figure this is as good of spot as any to link the Jimmy Graham reports.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/seahawks/story/1551638-jimmy-graham-turning-heads-in-otas

The word is JG was
characterized as "unstoppable today" from one team source, as the All-Pro tight end consistently was able to use his height, leaping ability and hand-eye coordination to beat Seattle's defenders for big plays, including touchdowns.

Since they can't bump him, this seems like non-news. The commonly held belief is you have to fough up JG to get him off his game. Can't do that in OTAs. Not to say, that I'm not excited about his potential, but I'll wait until September to start getting too gushy.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jdemps":1iz5laia said:
I figure this is as good of spot as any to link the Jimmy Graham reports.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/seahawks/story/1551638-jimmy-graham-turning-heads-in-otas

The word is JG was
characterized as "unstoppable today" from one team source, as the All-Pro tight end consistently was able to use his height, leaping ability and hand-eye coordination to beat Seattle's defenders for big plays, including touchdowns.

Since they can't bump him, this seems like non-news. The commonly held belief is you have to fough up JG to get him off his game. Can't do that in OTAs. Not to say, that I'm not excited about his potential, but I'll wait until September to start getting too gushy.

Yea, I thought the same thing. I mean, it's encouraging, but everyone on the offense looks like All Pro's in 7 on 7's.

Hawks46

Reaction score
StoneCold":xq4wjmle said:
Hawks46":xq4wjmle said:
Pandion Haliaetus":xq4wjmle said:

SC

I didn't see the Clayton thing, but I'm still the first one to call hammy ! You'll see! Then folks will be calling me prophetic. :thirishdrinkers:

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I saw another article that stated Jimmy was scoring like nothing on the defense, but it was mostly against backups, he wasn't able to score against Sherman and Chancellor and they let him know it too (smack talk) to held him accountable. Iron sharps Iron.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2slvzz6i said:
StoneCold":2slvzz6i said:
Hawks46":2slvzz6i said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2slvzz6i said:

SC

I didn't see the Clayton thing, but I'm still the first one to call hammy ! You'll see! Then folks will be calling me prophetic. :thirishdrinkers:

My prediction: RJ Archer will be the new Kurt Warner!

Rocket

Reaction score
northseahawk":1xqhk9br said:
Not the Dog Whisperer. I vote for Seneca. Short, fast, etc...
After T-Jack of course.

tooshort

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3617epos said:
northseahawk":3617epos said:

They're both good athletes, that's about the only similarity I see. Wilson is a qb who happens to be an athlete, Vick is an athlete who happens to be a qb. Significant difference.

At the Atlanta Playoff game during one of the many great RW plays from the comeback that could have been, one of the neighboring Falcons fans yelled "Holy Crap this guy is unreal, he's like Michael Vick with a brain"!! :th2thumbs:

kearly

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3lwln7jt said:

Exactly. The local media tried to talk up this OTA like it was a big deal for Michael, but that's incredibly silly. What is he going to show them now with a few extra reps that he won't be showing them in July and August?

Reps aren't going to be a problem for any RB. Lynch's workload is kept to an absolute minimum outside of regular season and playoff games.

OP
OP
V

Vetamur

Reaction score
kearly":3v1m0dop said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3v1m0dop said:

Exactly. The local media tried to talk up this OTA like it was a big deal for Michael, but that's incredibly silly. What is he going to show them now with a few extra reps that he won't be showing them in July and August?

Reps aren't going to be a problem for any RB. Lynch's workload is kept to an absolute minimum outside of regular season and playoff games.

I disagree with this on a couple of levels. First, PC has talked at length how this entire off season will be important for Michael. And that is extremely obvious. A 2nd round pick who cant get in games after two years? Mostly because of not knowing the "finer points" of the position. Michael wants to be a front and center guy , according to Carroll and this is his chance. Its not a great sign that when he has that chance, he cant play. It doesnt matter why. Its not high school. When its "your" off season, the staff have said its your best chance (and unspoken --its his last chance) to shine...then they turn to you and youre not there... spin how you want, its not a good sign. Especially with what he has struggled with. What is he going to show them in a few reps in June? That he knows the play book, that he knows the protection schemes.. that he has worked at them.

And its not just the missed opportunity, its that you then give those opportunities to someone else, people hungry and desperate to take your job.

When your career has the trajectory that Michaels has then every opportunity is a big deal.

The one thing that really mitigates it is that at the RB position, its not really til game time that some things show up.

Personally, I hope he shows up big time this year and we dont have to discuss who will take over for Lynch..

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Prolly the only thing Michael kept in shape during off season was his forearms, from clutching a microphone while he made Rap tunes. Not surprised at all that he's coming up lame once again.