Carroll: This might be the best depth we have had.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
"I really feel right now in watching our guys go through the off-season that our depth might be the best that we have been. That is, we feel the most competitive sense all the way through the ranks of the guys. Tom [Cable] mentioned that the young group that we have brought into the offensive line looks like a very competitive group. I think everywhere on our team is a competitive part of the team. That part might be something that is uplifted across the board."

Bold statement by Carroll at the Town Hall.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This has to be "coachspeak" either that or he hasn't seen the depth chart of the QB position (except for Wilson) lately.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3tm47bzy said:
This has to be "coachspeak" either that or he hasn't seen the depth chart of the QB position (except for Wilson) lately.

Other possibilities are that he doesn't care very much about backup QB or he really likes the combination of R. J. Archer and B.J. Daniels, as an emergency option. Daniels is primarily a WR/KR now, but I presume he would switch back to QB if Russell went down.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1i0x36mh said:
hawkfan68":1i0x36mh said:

Other possibilities are that he doesn't care very much about backup QB or he really likes the combination of R. J. Archer and B.J. Daniels, as an emergency option. Daniels is primarily a WR/KR now, but I presume he would switch back to QB if Russell went down.
This and the fact that if Wilson goes down the Seahawks go down just like any NFL team with a top 10 or better quarterback. Like Denver, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New England, New Orleans, Carolina, Green Bay, Dallas......

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1aor4wom said:

They always have a plan, could be just sitting on TJack till a few more contracts are done, could be waiting for a cut of a few QB's they have targeted. They could be content with Archer, we don't know much about him but that does not mean he isn't serviceable, he did come from the Vikings so should have a decent grasp of the offense.

Laloosh

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":2wziqivw said:
Kind of worried about safety depth after losing Jeron.

Didn't he miss quite a few games while sitting on IR for us?

ctrcat

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1nfb9y8z said:
hawknation2015":1nfb9y8z said:
hawkfan68":1nfb9y8z said:

This and the fact that if Wilson goes down the Seahawks go down just like any NFL team with a top 10 or better quarterback. Like Denver, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New England, New Orleans, Carolina, Green Bay, Dallas......

The world will learn about the backup situation in New England soon enough. The Panthers were 2-0 with Derek Anderson last year, albeit against the Bucs in both games. Some backups are better than others. Having one of the better ones is obviously a luxury.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ctrcat":1qqkw9yj said:
MizzouHawkGal":1qqkw9yj said:
hawknation2015":1qqkw9yj said:
hawkfan68":1qqkw9yj said:

The world will learn about the backup situation in New England soon enough. The Panthers were 2-0 with Derek Anderson last year, albeit against the Bucs in both games. Some backups are better than others. Having one of the better ones is obviously a luxury.
I hope we resign TJack, but not counting on it and not really panicked that we can't sign someone to carry the clipboard and call the coin flips. I assume the same for you?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Here is PFF's evaluation of our depth chart:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -seahawks/

SEA-Off.jpg

SEA-Def.jpg

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2krd9752 said:

looking at that sad oline...

and then looking at this ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/606456266081366017[/tweet]

if he doesnt get that contract before the season starts... rw3 may want to take out a life insurance policy cuz it aint gettin any easier with our oline this year :sarcasm_off:

themunn

Reaction score
How can wham bam kam be anything other than elite

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
themunn":20rb92rf said:
How can wham bam kam be anything other than elite

Only injuries, which held him back in a few games last season. He reportedly is healthier than he has been in years, so I could see him earning back that "elite" label this year as the most feared safety in the game.

Injuries also explain why Okung is listed as average, despite having some dominant games as a run blocker and being listed in the Top 10 in fewest pressures allowed.

As run blockers, Okung, Sweezy, and Britt are all high quality. But Sweezy has struggled with inconsistency; I would still list him as at least average because his best work is pretty great. Britt allowed the 2nd most pressures in the league last season, but has excelled as a run blocker.

I'm surprised they don't have enough info to grade Bailey. With his poor run blocking, he should join Jeanpierre as a below average starter. I am hoping that Glowinski earns a starting role at some point this season to improve the run blocking at that position.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not really going with that evaluation. Wright better than Irvin? Hill better than McDaniel? Wagner and Chancellor not elite, while they are both All-Pros? To top it off all those not enough infos make it seem like they just glanced at our line up and made up these rankings out of thin air.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I always admire Pete's enthusiasm and optimism, but IMO we will NEVER have the talent and depth of the 2013 team ever again. 2013 was the perfect storm of hitting on all facets of depth;

- perfect draft
- free agent hits
- health
- low cap due to youth of best players
- timing of everyone playing well at once

Certainly guys like KPL, Marsh, Simon, Hill, etc can jump up and have great years.............but it still wouldn't come close to the talent and depth on our 2013 roster.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":kyliwckw said:
I always admire Pete's enthusiasm and optimism, but IMO we will NEVER have the talent and depth of the 2013 team ever again. 2013 was the perfect storm of hitting on all facets of depth;

- perfect draft
- free agent hits
- health

Certainly guys like KPL, Marsh, Simon, Hill, etc can jump up and have great years.............but it still wouldn't come close to the talent and depth on our 2013 roster.

I disagree, I trust Pete knows what he is talking about. I also feel like saying "NEVER" is kind of silly.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bv9p7yp0 said:

- perfect draft
- free agent hits
- health

Okaay...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":13ky40jh said:
Sgt. Largent":13ky40jh said:

- perfect draft
- free agent hits
- health

I disagree, I trust Pete knows what he is talking about. I also feel like saying "NEVER" is kind of silly.

I'm confident in my "never." The 2013 Hawks will go down as one of the top 5 most talented rosters of all time..............and Pete is the great optimist, so you have to know when to take his comments with a grain of salt, like a politician. He was a town hall trying to get everyone fired up, what's he going to say "THIS IS THE 4TH BEST DEPTH WE'VE EVER HAD!"

I hope he's right, but as of now I don't see it, we're thin at D-Line, have a bunch of D-line converts at depth for O-line, three new starters on the O-line, Cary Williams starting at DB, who know's starting at slot DB with both Lane and Simon coming off injuries, 3 of the 4 LOB members coming off major injuries, a rookie PR/KR, who's also our starting slot guy with no P-Rich to start the season.

That's better than the depth we had in 2013?