Ref who "kicked calls in XL" moved

ivotuk

Reaction score
"NFL officials rarely draw attention for good calls, and Leavy is perhaps best known for admitting he "kicked" two decisions in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XL, a 21-10 Pittsburgh Steelers victory over the Seattle Seahawks. Leavy didn't specify the calls, but speculation has centered around a holding call on Seahawks offensive lineman Sean Locklear and later a low block penalty on Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

The Seahawks trailed by four points at the time and would have had the ball at the Steelers' 1-yard line following a completed pass, but the call against Locklear nullified the gain. Hasselbeck would throw an interception on the next play.

Levy waited four years after that Super Bowl to acknowledge his impact on the game.

"It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game and as an official, you never want to do that," he was quoted as saying in 2010. "It left me with a lot of sleepless nights. I think about it constantly. I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13018 ... department

It's funny how they wait until we win a SuperB Owl to start admitting this in public. IIRC there was in article in Pittsburgh last year where the author said "can we be friends again now?"

Jville

Reaction score
I think the not so Superbowl XL and Bill Leavy precipitated the well deserved scrutiny of officiating and the on going reforms, shake ups and performance reviews.

It offers the promise of a good thing for the league ...... although a big price was extracted from the Seahawks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
ivotuk":1dblsx7c said:
IIRC there was in article in Pittsburgh last year where the author said "can we be friends again now?"
No, no we can't. And we were never friends in the first place.

Hawks46

Reaction score
AgentDib":1hlk87pu said:
ivotuk":1hlk87pu said:
IIRC there was in article in Pittsburgh last year where the author said "can we be friends again now?"
No, no we can't. And we were never friends in the first place.

Perfect. And you beat me to it, damn near word for word.

I can't wait to crush their souls this year. I know Pete doesn't have any real skin in the game (nor do any players) but I really hope we face roll those punks when we see them. I want a soul crushing loss that sends their season into a tail spin.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Leavy was a pretty decent referee overall. I'm glad he was open and honest about his missed calls. Openly admitting your mistakes is one of the keys to being successful in your career.

Jville

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3csb0cwo said:
Leavy was a pretty decent referee overall. I'm glad he was open and honest about his missed calls. Openly admitting your mistakes is one of the keys to being successful in your career.

Yes I should have written ..... I think the not so Superbowl XL and Bill Leavy's acknowledgement precipitated the well deserved scrutiny of officiating and the on going reforms, shake ups and performance reviews.

I certainly respect Bill Leavy for voluntarily stepping forward and doing the right thing.

irocdave

Reaction score
Man, you guys are more forgiving than me. I couldn't care less what Leavy says or does. His "decisions" led to what will be known as the worst officiated SB in history. The Hawks had a chance in that game and the calls that were made, at the time they were made put the NFL fan base in to a tizzy questioning the integrity of the NFL. That game was a frigging farce. Stealers fans just compounded the pre planned screw job the Hawks got. F them as well as Leavy. The cat is out of the bag and it aint going back in. Mike Holmgren is still pissed about what happened in that debacle of officiating.

History shouldn't be rewritten, don't buy in to this nonsense of "well, it's OK, they said they messed up". Especially with that gum on the bottom of your shoe fan base. F them. I will go to my grave hating the officials and more so, that POS fan base.

Crizilla

Reaction score
i hate how both our SB losses have been really really lame.

Jville

Reaction score
:177692: I am not remotely close to excusing the commissioners office, league offices or so many Steeler fans. They are devoid of any grace of acknowledgement. To hell with them.

For me, Leavy's acknowledgement is his separation from those who continue to persist in disgrace.

irocdave

Reaction score
The last SB loss was totally legit. Self inflicted dumb ass play call and piss poor throw that led to the loss and the resulting repercussions are well deserved. That debacle in 2005, that's a whole nother story. Hawks got screwed out of a fairly officiated game and had zero chance of winning that game because of the officiating.

Yes, both SB losses suck, but having one blatantly impacted by an NFL that steered things is something I will never get over. Pete or Bevelle being stupid and RW making a piss poor throw to lose it is much more acceptable than the other. The loses are not the same, not even close.

Rocket

Reaction score
I find the use of the word "kicked" to be a bit too accurate.
I read kicking to be intentional.

sutz

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1cklrmn4 said:

If he'd done it in a more timely manner, I'd buy it. But four years later? FOUR YEARS LATER? He can piss up a rope.

Yeah, for most of his career, he was decent. I'll give him that. But those were major screw ups on the biggest stage in American sports. Sure, it's 'nice' that he finally owned up to something. But four years? I ain't listening.

:177692:

253hawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":jrb6c8wj said:
i hate how both our SB losses have been really really lame.

And they both involved taking the lead from the 1 yard line in the 4th quarter.

Msfann

Reaction score
irocdave":3dlh969v said:
The last SB loss was totally legit. Self inflicted dumb ass play call and piss poor throw that led to the loss and the resulting repercussions are well deserved. That debacle in 2005, that's a whole nother story. Hawks got screwed out of a fairly officiated game and had zero chance of winning that game because of the officiating.

Yes, both SB losses suck, but having one blatantly impacted by an NFL that steered things is something I will never get over. Pete or Bevelle being stupid and RW making a piss poor throw to lose it is much more acceptable than the other. The loses are not the same, not even close.

This!

I can accept last years loss no problem. But XL was robbery on worldwide TV and nobody outside of Seattle really cared even though they all admitted we got screwed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Rocket":3p0frof5 said:
I find the use of the word "kicked" to be a bit too accurate.
I read kicking to be intentional.
And I got the same vibes.
He had zilch for integrity, and everybody knew it was a screw job, so his admission of throwing the game? didn't come as any surprise.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Rustbucket fans are arrogant and delusional, more so than Digit fans. The entire country knew what they saw, that we were prevented from winning that game. The immediate response from Rust nation was to label us as whiners, and then the revisionist history started, saying it was a fairly called game.

Every rustbucket fan is a moron, a moron who has no intellectual integrity or even an inkling of what it means. Until one of them says something like "I'm happy we won the game but you guys got screwed", I cannot have any respect for any of them.

If one of them actually ever does say that, then there will be one rustbucket fan that I might be able to talk to and take seriously. The rest of them are still morons.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
Msfann":3cllnql0 said:
irocdave":3cllnql0 said:

This!

I can accept last years loss no problem. But XL was robbery on worldwide TV and nobody outside of Seattle really cared even though they all admitted we got screwed.
I have the same point of view, I believe that if they would have officiated XL like XLIX the Seahawks win XL.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
irocdave":2jca7v9f said:

100% agree!!!