Four Downs: NFC West

ivotuk

Reaction score
"By our count, Lynch broke 29 more tackles than any other player in the league last year, and the effect of those broken tackles was dramatic.

ESPN Stats & Information data shows that out of the 43 backs with at least 100 runs last year, Lynch was second with 2.5 yards after contact per carry, but his 2.2 yards before contact was just 22nd. That latter ranking is much more indicative of the offensive line's run-blocking prowess, and they were even worse at pass blocking.

Russell Wilson was pressured on 39 percent of his dropbacks last season, the highest rate of any starting quarterback. Rookie right tackle Justin Britt somehow managed to lead the NFL in blown blocks on passing plays even though Seattle had the fewest dropbacks in the NFL."

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-d ... nfc-west-0

McGruff

Reaction score
But but but . . . We have an elite run blocking line!

Or at least that is what we've been told.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of paying Wilson the most money in the league, but this statistic is the biggest reason we can't just plug in any QB and be able to win. Elite QBs like Brady and Manning wouldn't last the season behind our OL. Add to that guys like Romo, Carson Palmer, and Philip Rivers that wouldn't last long. Out of the entire league, guys like Newton, Roethlisburger and Rodgers would be the only guys that could survive, and only Big Ben Luck (if you don't care how many INT's he throws) and Rodgers could likely thrive. Newton gets beat up behind his OL, which somehow manages to be better than ours.

It's also a reason why we're really going to miss Lynch when he's gone. Wilson is going to have to carry more of the load, and I think the FO wants to see him display that ability before we pay him the big bucks.

themunn

Reaction score
ivotuk":3lha8uj0 said:
but his 2.2 yards before contact was just 22nd. That latter ranking is much more indicative of the offensive line's run-blocking prowess

Would like to see how many 8-man boxes he faced compared to every other back in all fairness. He's very much a between the tackles runner too, so he's always more likely to run into the boxes than other running backs

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Some of the passing stats are because Russ at times holds the ball too long. However, this o-line is well below average at pass pro and apparently basically average at run blocking.
I do believe we'll see a nice improvement from Britt this year and if Okung can stay healthy (I know, that's a BIG if) it would only take one of the rooks stepping up and Lewis being decent to see better play from this unit.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hawks46":1hxknrui said:
I'm not a huge fan of paying Wilson the most money in the league, but this statistic is the biggest reason we can't just plug in any QB and be able to win. Elite QBs like Brady and Manning wouldn't last the season behind our OL. Add to that guys like Romo, Carson Palmer, and Philip Rivers that wouldn't last long. Out of the entire league, guys like Newton, Roethlisburger and Rodgers would be the only guys that could survive, and only Big Ben Luck (if you don't care how many INT's he throws) and Rodgers could likely thrive. Newton gets beat up behind his OL, which somehow manages to be better than ours.

It's also a reason why we're really going to miss Lynch when he's gone. Wilson is going to have to carry more of the load, and I think the FO wants to see him display that ability before we pay him the big bucks.

I would argue the Panthers OL was worse last year, and have still never heard of a team, ever, without a drafted OT for an entire season. Right now, I would say the Panthers OL on paper is one of the least impressive in football, but is better on paper than the Hawks. JMO.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I'd Like to see how long Wilson holds the ball on passing plays v.s elite Qbs.

McGruff

Reaction score
SeaChase":2jdc43v6 said:

He does hold the ball longer, but that stat is also skewed a bit by the fact that he is pressured earlier than any other Qb in the league and rather than throw the ball he runs around.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawks46":1zsgzbi7 said:

I love Russell, but a QB like Manning or Brady wouldn't hold on to the ball too long or hesitate to get rid of the ball nearly as often as Russell does. There are plenty of opportunities for quick hitting passes when Russell holds the ball too damn long. I have found myself yelling at the tv for Russell to "THROW THE DAMN BALL!" just as often as I did when Tarvaris was starting. The only difference being that Russell actually ends up making yards somehow whereas Tarvaris rarely did.

Anthony!

Reaction score
McGruff":2fp3vlzo said:
SeaChase":2fp3vlzo said:

He does hold the ball longer, but that stat is also skewed a bit by the fact that he is pressured earlier than any other Qb in the league and rather than throw the ball he runs around.

And the fact his Wr do not get open as much or as fast

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":13aattef said:
Hawks46":13aattef said:

I love Russell, but a QB like Manning or Brady wouldn't hold on to the ball too long or hesitate to get rid of the ball nearly as often as Russell does. There are plenty of opportunities for quick hitting passes when Russell holds the ball too damn long. I have found myself yelling at the tv for Russell to "THROW THE DAMN BALL!" just as often as I did when Tarvaris was starting. The only difference being that Russell actually ends up making yards somehow whereas Tarvaris rarely did.

Maybe but the fact that you do not know what he sees might make that yelling incorrect. You do not know what he sees when he looks at them in his progressions. As to Brady and Manning yeah you would because of the way PC wants the game called and the fact the offense would not be built around them and we have less talent around them than Wilson has had so far. We have none even close to as good a Gronk or Thomas so far, also they are in the AFC the defenses in the NFC are way better, Also does not matter how quick they get rid of the ball they are going to get hit and hit a lot more on this team and more than likely would not even last also some of those quick throws would result in more TO, and or stalled drives than Wilson has with his running, so I doubt there would be an improvement overall and it is likely it would be worse.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Anthony!":2lmnwg12 said:
rideaducati":2lmnwg12 said:
Hawks46":2lmnwg12 said:

Maybe but the fact that you do not know what he sees might make that yelling incorrect. You do not know what he sees when he looks at them in his progressions. As to Brady and Manning yeah you would because of the way PC wants the game called and the fact the offense would not be built around them and we have less talent around them than Wilson has had so far. We have none even close to as good a Gronk or Thomas so far, also they are in the AFC the defenses in the NFC are way better, Also does not matter how quick they get rid of the ball they are going to get hit and hit a lot more on this team and more than likely would not even last also some of those quick throws would result in more TO, and or stalled drives than Wilson has with his running, so I doubt there would be an improvement overall and it is likely it would be worse.
Well, we know from Cian Fahey, a very good analyst who uses All-22, that Wilson sees Doug Baldwin schooling Revis and still doesn't throw to him.