where is the thread about the agents stupid 16 pager

Rocket

Reaction score
I don't see any mention of it, save for in the Wagner post... I must be gettin' old or something.
Help me Brethren, help me.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sounds like the agent is trying to bring elements of baseball negotiations into football.

Not going to work.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawks46":16r0dved said:
Sounds like the agent is trying to bring elements of baseball negotiations into football.

Not going to work.
This, a baseball agent out of his element.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
pay him whatever he wants we can't replace him, he is one of the elite quarterbacks in the nfl that can lead a team to a superbowl!

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":4t450kw9 said:
Hawks46":4t450kw9 said:

Not going to work.

Lol, cause some random ass on the internet knows the inner workings better?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Creating and sending a 16 page, 'Position Paper,' is one thing...but giving that info to the press is stupid-IMHO.

Is he trying to intimidate JS? Does he think going public on this is going to scare JS & The 'Hawks? I doubt it.

Stupid move. :les:

Anthony!

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1sr4gwds said:
Creating and sending a 16 page, 'Position Paper,' is one thing...but giving that info to the press is stupid-IMHO.

Is he trying to intimidate JS? Does he think going public on this is going to scare JS & The 'Hawks? I doubt it.

your assuming it was the agent that let the press know, also FYI it happens a lot in the NFL to were these papers are sent to the team. Also let me remind you it was JS who first talked and made some interesting comments about the negotiations not Wilson or his agent.

kearly

Reaction score
Wait to get paid, it seems to be Mark Rodgers' MO. From Peter King:

At one point last year, the Red Sox were offering a client, lefty reliever Andrew Miller, what seemed to be a mint (three years, $19 million), but Rodgers was convinced he could get more on the market. Sure enough, the Yankees signed Miller for four years and $36 million—and that wasn’t even the highest offer out there for Miller. Ditto, with different numbers, for client Jeff Samardzija, who waited and didn’t get the multiyear offer Rodgers thought was right; Samardzija signed for a year and $9.8 million, and he will play this deal out and hit the market again if the Chicago White Sox don’t pay something very close to what Rodgers thinks he can get for his player on the market.

Wilson and Rodgers playing hardball makes sense. They really like what they see in 2016. When you know that you could get $25 million very easily next year, how much would it take to sign Wilson a year ahead of that? Probably a number very close to $25 million.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
kearly":26pg5a67 said:
Wait to get paid, it seems to be Mark Rodgers' MO. From Peter King:

At one point last year, the Red Sox were offering a client, lefty reliever Andrew Miller, what seemed to be a mint (three years, $19 million), but Rodgers was convinced he could get more on the market. Sure enough, the Yankees signed Miller for four years and $36 million—and that wasn’t even the highest offer out there for Miller. Ditto, with different numbers, for client Jeff Samardzija, who waited and didn’t get the multiyear offer Rodgers thought was right; Samardzija signed for a year and $9.8 million, and he will play this deal out and hit the market again if the Chicago White Sox don’t pay something very close to what Rodgers thinks he can get for his player on the market.

Wilson and Rodgers playing hardball makes sense. They really like what they see in 2016. When you know that you could get $25 million very easily next year, how much would it take to sign Wilson a year ahead of that? Probably a number very close to $25 million.
This definitely makes sense, especially if Carroll, and Schneider are not willing to void the last year of the contract. Rodgers has also made it known that waiting it out is his preferred strategy, if the price is not right. This method could end up paying off big for Wilson, but it does also carry some risk --- though I would say that it is a smart gamble. Even if Russell Wilson has the same role, puts up similar stats, and perhaps wins a playoff game, he is going to get a larger contract than he would have this year.

On the flip side, if Wilson does face a major injury, or has a less than stellar outing in 2015, he may cost himself some money. I'd say that the odds favor Wilson in this bet.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sounds like he just copied and pasted Anthony!'s posts over the past two months.

bigwrm

Reaction score
I'm a little tired of the whole baseball agent narrative. It's not like his agent doesn't understand the difference between the two sports. I'd guess that the holdup is coming more from how highly Russ views his value, rather than his agent not being able to comprehend the context of a football negotiation. The agent works for him, and Russ himself has said that he's interested in the business side of things and stays closely abreast of all the negotiations.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigwrm":b2uihozh said:
I'm a little tired of the whole baseball agent narrative. It's not like his agent doesn't understand the difference between the two sports.

The "baseball agent narrative" doesn't mean he doesn't understand the difference between the two sports, it means that either he or he and Wilson (who fired his football agent to go with him) do not ACCEPT the differences between the two sports.

The narrative is that Wilson has chosen to 1) bring in an agent from another sport which offers superior contracts to those in football, and who 2) in that sport with superior contracts also has the reputation for playing serious hardball within it. In addition to that this guy 3) so far seems to be using the exact same tactics he uses in that other sport (treating time as on his side to raise the starting point of rather than negotiating off of them, writing long position papers, etc.) in his negiations for Wilson in this sport.

I think we can be sure he knows very well the differences between the two sports, and he's likely here in the first place BECAUSE he understandds those differences and doesn't plan on treating them as business as usual.

StoneCold

Reaction score
So much crazy speculation. Brock and Salk and many on this board are making much more out of this negotiation than is even remotely reasonable based on the little we actually know about who has said what to whom and when.

Bottom line? They are negotiating. Just because a deal hasn't been made yet doesn't mean there is a major rift between Wilson and the team. It doesn't mean that his agent is an incompetent idiot who doesn't understand how to negotiate a football contract. Sheesh people, relax a bit and let's see how it actually plays out.

SC

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don't know why people get so hung up on the fact that he was Wilson's baseball agent. He said in his interview with KIRO that he'd done NFL contracts before. Wilson isn't his only client out there.

This is how contract talks go when you have a player at such a pivotal position who's market value will almost assuredly increase each year. The deck is stacked in Wilson's favor.

I would much rather us get him under contract for slightly higher than we may want now, then wait a year and have that number continue to increase. The sooner we get him signed, the sooner that contract will seem like a steal for a franchise quarterback.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":knl0zr7p said:
Sports Hernia":knl0zr7p said:
Hawks46":knl0zr7p said:

Not going to work.

Lol, cause some random ass on the internet knows the inner workings better?

There's no need for name calling. And suggesting that fan comments on a forum are an indication that they think they know better about "the inner workings" is..well randomly asinine.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":4enrozqy said:
LymonHawk":4enrozqy said:

your assuming it was the agent that let the press know, also FYI it happens a lot in the NFL to were these papers are sent to the team. Also let me remind you it was JS who first talked and made some interesting comments about the negotiations not Wilson or his agent.

:34853_doh: It's you're, not your.

Now you're assuming what I've assumed? Must be nice to have a crystal ball. Can you please tell me how many pitches will be thrown in the Ms game tonight?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":iofjxg8f said:
kidhawk":iofjxg8f said:
I would much rather us get him under contract for slightly higher than we may want now, then wait a year and have that number continue to increase. The sooner we get him signed, the sooner that contract will seem like a steal for a franchise quarterback.

this is really the crux of the biscuit here. I say we pony up the dough now, because when we win another Lombardi this season, we may not be able to afford him.

Depends on what the ponying up of dough means.

If Rodgers and Russell are asking for 80-100% of the contract to be guaranteed money, then that might be the sticking point.

Rodgers is all about the baseball mentality of maximizing leverage by taking his clients to free agency. So at this point in the negotiations it wouldn't surprise me if they are asking for 22-25M a year fully guaranteed, or 80-90% guaranteed in order to apply pressure.

If that's the case, then it'd make sense that Schneider is balking and willing to wait for another year, even two and just franchise Russell at a lower amount. Other than the security of knowing Russell's locked up for a long time, what do we gain by giving him 22-25M guaranteed vs. 1.5M this year and 1-2 years of the franchise tag?