Cary Williams w/Brock&Salk plus others

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seahawks free agent acquisition Cary Williams talks about earning his stripes as a new member of the Legion of Boom. He also had some less than complementary words about his former coach with the Eagles, Chip Kelly

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... and%20Salk

Need to know: The Seahawks have begun contract talks with Bobby Wagner. Could this give the Seahawks leverage in contract negotiations with Russell Wilson, because of the threat of the franchise tag? Mark Rodgers sent a 16 page letter to the Seahawks about his client. Which party is winning these negotiations? The Mariners are going up against Corey Kluber tonight in Cleveland, and could struggle to end their 8-game losing streak. John Clayton joins the program. Robinson Cano is still struggling, and the guys have figured out the reasons for why he isn't getting it done. What is a solution for him? With 8 years and over $200 million left on the contract, benching him may not be the best option.

Seahawks cornerback Cary Williams joins the program, and had some harsh words about his time with Chip Kelly in Philadelphia. Salk talks about one his most awkward life moments. Does Russell Wilson need to step in and get these negotiations done? In "Blue 42", Brock does not see Michael Vick as a fit in Seattle, and reacts to John Clayton's suggestion that the 49ers could trade Colin Kaepernick.

The Professor, John Clayton joins Danny, Dave, and Moore for his Coors Light Cold Hard Facts. And, the guys weigh in on new information in Hope Solo's domestic violence arrest. Then, we wrap up the hour with "Sweeping the Dial".

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good interview. Two things I took away;

1. Williams is super impressed with Seattle, the VMAC and how Pete runs his practices.
2. He hates Chip Kelly.

titan3131

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3w3tfogm said:
Good interview. Two things I took away;

1. Williams is super impressed with Seattle, the VMAC and how Pete runs his practices.
2. He hates Chip Kelly.

not only does he hate him, but he thinks he is a bad coach, he thinks that its all smoke and mirrors.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
For a guy who's noted for building positive cultures, Chip sure gets a lot of hate from a lot (all?) of his former players.

Carey Williams on playing under Chip's system:

• "Toward the end of the year, we were exhausted and outcoached."
  • "Whatever it is they're creating, I didn't believe in it."
  • What's going on there, I didn't necessarily agree was the right way of doing things."

This sort of aligns with my thinking that Chip's style isn't sustainable over the course of an NFL season. Can't judge the defensive players in that system -- they are playing exhausted.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
I think most of the Eagles players love Chip (the most outspoken ones have been Connor Barwin, Zach Ertz, Jason Kelce, Malcolm Jenkins, and Mark Sanchez). Cary never bought in from the moment he signed with the Eagles, he bailed on the first team activity to go buy sconces for his house (yes, really).

Cary was a bum for most of his time in Philly, couldn't cover a thing but was slightly better than Bradley Fletcher (which is like saying one turd is better than another). I'd say two 10-6 seasons while clearly re-tooling his roster to fit his needs is a pretty decent start to an NFL coaching career.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Chip has to clean house and build the team with his guys. Much like Pete did here.

The difference being Chip is jettisoning really skillful players in their primes. Maybe they don't fit his system, but it seems more like personality conflicts. Pete would get the most out of guys like DeSean Jackson and Shady McCoy while letting them be themselves. The only way he'd cut guys of that calibre is if they pulled a Harvin-like locker room divide.

And Pete had his detractors amongst ex-players, but they were guys who haven't accomplished much, like John Moffitt and Lawrence Jackson.

Yesterday on 710 Cliff Avril talked about how on other teams you'd see a certain coach walking down the corridor and you might take a turn to avoid interacting with him. I could see Chip being that guy for a lot of players. He strikes me as a slightly more jovial version of Joe Cabot ("my way or the highway") from Reservoir Dogs.