Help A Former Hawk

titan3131

Reaction score
Very sad nad Ill keep them in my prayers.

but on the other hand. How do you make such bad decisions that you need to ask for money? I Only hope to ever make as much money as a football player ever does.

Its as if they dont actually teach anything useful to these athletes in college.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I don't mean to be cold, but the guy made $24,808,529 (over 800k as recently as 2013) in the NFL. What has he done with it all that he now needs to ask the public for money, and what assurance does anyone have that any money donated will not be equally wasted?

King Dog

Reaction score
I feel very badly for his kid, but why does this guy need a gofundme page for 100k when he's made like 30 million in his career?

Basis4day

Reaction score
King Dog":16ek7mto said:
I feel very badly for his kid, but why does this guy need a gofundme page for 100k when he's made like 30 million in his career?

He didn't necessarily make it himself.

King Dog

Reaction score
Basis4day":1pi5j4g8 said:
King Dog":1pi5j4g8 said:

He didn't necessarily make it himself.

Ah. I see.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
This is really sad, but who is this person who set up the GoFundMe page, Vanessa Allen? Is she even related to the Locklears in some way or maybe a close friend? I hate being cynical about things like this, but as other have already pointed out, Locklear made a lot of money over his career and NFL benefits and pensions aren't exactly shabby. Then again, a lot of players end up broke rather quickly if they aren't careful.

i guess I'd just like a better understanding of the situation before donating anything, as I'm not certain Zane's family is actually in serious need or not. Having a small child myself, my heart goes out to the family and I wish this little boy the best, but if they actually need help then I think more information should be provided.

Basis4day

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2yeryuag said:
This is really sad, but who is this person who set up the GoFundMe page, Vanessa Allen? Is she even related to the Locklears in some way or maybe a close friend? I hate being cynical about things like this, but as other have already pointed out, Locklear made a lot of money over his career and NFL benefits and pensions aren't exactly shabby. Then again, a lot of players end up broke rather quickly if they aren't careful.

i guess I'd just like a better understanding of the situation before donating anything, as I'm not certain Zane's family is actually in serious need or not. Having a small child myself, my heart goes out to the family and I wish this little boy the best, but if they actually need help then I think more information should be provided.

Locklear has a certified twitter account, and the only thing i saw him asking for was prayers.

It might just be a family friend with good intentions. That's an easy way to look at it without being cynical.

kidhawk

Reaction score
There is also a page with more information here:

[urltargetblank]http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/zanelocklear2[/urltargetblank]

Under the journal tab is more of a history of what's been going on

[urltargetblank]http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/zanelocklear2/journal[/urltargetblank]

drrew

Reaction score
Players and their families receive 5 years of free medical insurance post retirement.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Careful with Caring Bridge too. You think you're donating to the people but you might actually just be donating to the website. Seen it happen before.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I'm extremely leery on gofundme projects, a good portion seem legit, but there are those that seem to scream scam to my cynical mind.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":338b2m8l said:
I'm skeptical as well.
I've seen several stories in the Houston area where people completely unrelated to a particular incident start gofundme pages.

Simple search will yield many stories like this.
http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2015/02 ... scam-case/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... owned.html

People should definitely ALWAYS look into anything that they are giving their money too, whether it's a gofundme page, a kickstarter page, or even what may appear to be a legitimate charity. It's easy to fall into a ruse if you're not careful. I would think that if anyone wanted to really know, I'm guessing that a tweet or DM to Locklear on his social media would probably get a response, especially if he had no clue the page existed.

Obviously it isn't that simple with every scenario, but with this one, it really is for anyone who has any interest in making a donation and insuring that it's going where you want it to end up.