"Clayton claims he's "baffled" by Wilson contract talks"

ivotuk

Reaction score
Need to know: The Warriors beat Lebron and did it in 6. Russell Wilson gets insurance policy to back him next season in light of faltering contract talks. And, the M's lose 6-2 to complete a very disappointing .500 road trip.

John Clayton joins the show and claims he's "baffled" by Wilson contract talks.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... and%20Salk

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
From yesterday:

John Clayton joins the show with his Coors Light Cold Hard Facts and talks Russell Wilson's new insurance policy. Then, we "Get on the Green" with Jim Moore and find out what we learned on today's show.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore

Another edition of NFL Undercover. How much cheating is really going on in the NFL? Also would be the most valuable information to have prior to a game? And we wrap us a short show with the Final Say.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... 0and%20Gee

kearly

Reaction score
Salk, and to a lesser extent Clayton, have had rose colored glasses on the past few months and now seem confused by the reality that Wilson's agent is good at his job and not having Wilson settle for less than he needs to.

Salk is in outright denial right now, thinking that Wilson is losing the negotiations and will crawl back with his tail between his legs at any moment, when the reality of what's going on is the exact opposite.

seedhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2vfxjo3g said:
Salk, and to a lesser extent Clayton, have had rose colored glasses on the past few months and now seem confused by the reality that Wilson's agent is good at his job and not having Wilson settle for less than he needs to.

Salk is in outright denial right now, thinking that Wilson is losing the negotiations and will crawl back with his tail between his legs at any moment, when the reality of what's going on is the exact opposite.

RW's agent wants to tap into football, and why not? For him it is an untapped market. What better way to build an instant rep then to use the first football guy you work for and gain him a giant contract?

Conversely, JS has to push back or every agent on the planet representing a Hawk will try to run him over.

While the two big alpha dogs snarl at each other we fans all panic. Eventually, equilibrium in the negotiations will be reached and a deal will get done.

A

Anonymous

It's just like that thing they do at the dealership....

Salesman runs to manager, scribble numbers, comes back, more numbers, runs back..

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3gdqutye said:
Wilson's agent is good at his job

That's an interesting way to look at it. This strategy may work in baseball, where teams are limited only by how much their owners are willing to spend, however by approaching these negotiations in a litigious way, he may very well be delaying the Seahawks from offering Russell the top salary he seeks. If these recent reports are to be believed, then I cannot agree with you that Russell's agent is serving his interests well.

Until this agent comes back down to earth and gets more realistic about how things are done in the NFL, i.e. how much money can reasonably be guaranteed in a violent game like football and whether the base salary in the final year of Russell's deal can be included under the salary cap, I would never offer an Aaron Rodgers-type contract because you know he will just demand even more, thereby jeopardizing our ability to maintain a championship-caliber team.

If this agent does not get a deal done that secures Russell's future with the team (the team he wants to be with for the rest of his career), and Russell suffers a career-threatening injury this season (neck, knee, multiple concussions, etc.), then this baseball agent will go down as one of the most impractical and irresponsible agents in the history of the NFL. He approaches these negotiations impractically, as a stalling tactic in order to reach free agency, at his client's own peril.

And there are other considerations than just salary. The longer this negotiation draws out, the more it risks damaging Russell's reputation among NFL fans. And the more money Russell ultimately gets over the $20 million threshold, the less likely it will be for the Seahawks to surround him with the talent he needs to win another championship. Less certainty, less winning, and less fanfare equals fewer endorsements for Russell in the long run. As an agent who is supposed to be acting in Russell's best interest, he should not want those things to happen either.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Honest question: If Wilson signed a contract in the next few days, could part of the signing bonus be applied to this season--even though his base salary would be the same? If so, TVM (time value of money), along with the risk of not taking a deal, would be in play.

It would make sense for the Hawks to get as much of that bonus out of the way as possible. And it would make signing a contract for a bit less money make some sense for Russell, so he makes as much as he can as soon as possible. The gap between the money he wants vs. the money being offered would close some.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
nanomoz":2g3614vz said:
Honest question: If Wilson signed a contract in the next few days, could part of the signing bonus be applied to this season--even though his base salary would be the same? If so, TVM (time value of money), along with the risk of not taking a deal, would be in play.

It would make sense for the Hawks to get as much of that bonus out of the way as possible. And it would make signing a contract for a bit less money make some sense for Russell, so he makes as much as he can as soon as possible. The gap between the money he wants vs. the money being offered would close some.

Yes, that is how it works in almost every instance. Wilson would get a large signing bonus upfront (maybe not all at once, but over time, Newton received $22.5 million in signing bonus, Rodgers received $33.25 million, etc.) and the team would be able to keep his cap hit low this year (1/5 of signing bonus + base salary and other bonuses) while lowering its future cap hit when the extension kicks in next year. It's a win-win, good for the player and the team when done right.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The insurance policy sort of makes the whole "risk of injury" argument a nonstarter. Shaun Alexander had a $20M policy during his franchise year. I imagine Russell's would be more. So, what is he losing if he gets hurt? It would not be some astronomical sum in relative terms. Even if he signed a deal now, he would lose a big chunk of it if his career ended next year in injury. What he loses is what the premium costs, which is anyone's guess.

Also, I guess I'm a little baffled by Clayton's thought that Russell could never make up the money he lost if he played out his rookie deal? Is that really true here? I'm not even going to entertain the notion of three consecutive franchise tags -- that's not going to happen. This is all about new money. If Russell signs an extension now, it gets tacked onto his current deal and he gets some of it advanced as a bonus, which really just helps Seattle manage the cap and doesn't impact the overall sum that Russell is making. So, it's $87M/4 going through 2019 in new money. If he waits till next year, nothing would stop him from demanding a "fresh" deal for $87M/4. Same money, same end date. Seattle is the only party hurt because they lost the chance to spread the bonus over five years instead of four.

Even assuming he got franchised, looking at his earnings through a 3 year window is a little narrow. I am convinced Mark Rogers is looking at the long game, not what Russell will win or lose over 3 years, but what he will make over 10-15 years. And yes, if he ever becomes a true free agent in that period, I think he would make up for any losses endured for a short 3 year period.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1v7o0tlm said:
The insurance policy sort of makes the whole "risk of injury" argument a nonstarter. Shaun Alexander had a $20M policy during his franchise year. I imagine Russell's would be more. So, what is he losing if he gets hurt? It would not be some astronomical sum in relative terms. Even if he signed a deal now, he would lose a big chunk of it if his career ended next year in injury. What he loses is what the premium costs, which is anyone's guess.

Also, I guess I'm a little baffled by Clayton's thought that Russell could never make up the money he lost if he played out his rookie deal? Is that really true here? I'm not even going to entertain the notion of three consecutive franchise tags -- that's not going to happen. This is all about new money. If Russell signs an extension now, it gets tacked onto his current deal and he gets some of it advanced as a bonus, which really just helps Seattle manage the cap. So, it's $87M/4 going through 2019. If he waits till next year, nothing would stop him from demanding a "fresh" deal for $87M/4. Same money, same end date. Seattle is the only party hurt because they lost the chance to spread the bonus.

Even assuming he got franchised, looking at his earnings through a 3 year window is a little narrow. I am convinced Rogers is looking at the long game, not what Russell will win or lose over 3 years, but what he will make over 10-15 years. And yes, if he ever becomes a true free agent in that period, I think he would make up for any losses endured for a short 3 year period.

I too am curious what his insurance limit is . . . I kind of doubt he has enough money to spend on a policy worth upwards of $60 million, which is how much is guaranteed for injury in Newton's recent extension. Alexander, unlike Wilson, already had millions in the bank by the time of his franchise year. It is doubtful that Wilson's policy would be able to make up the difference, but I guess we can't know for sure without seeing the actual terms.

Benefiting the team by signing now also benefits Wilson by allowing us to move on to signing other players who will make the team better. Waiting to sign means not only is Wilson bearing all the risk, but the uncertainty is preventing the team from signing other critical players such as Bobby Wagner.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kearly":28wlz7mn said:

I don't see where you get that Wilson's agent is good at his job. He has NEVER negotiated an NFL contract. He also has his client buying an insurance policy that will probably cost more than his NFL salary for the season instead of signing a contract that would make his client the third highest paid QB in the NFL. Claiming that he likes the idea of having his client receive the franchise tag is rather baffling because instead of being guaranteed to be the third highest paid QB and having millions in the bank, he is steering his client towards being paid the average of the top 5 at his position for only one year while being exposed to injury for two seasons without a long term deal in place. I bet he won't like it when the Seahawks put the nonexclusive franchise tag on Russell and no other team in the NFL will cater to their demands either. Russell might lose millions of dollars because his agent is a clown.

Russell's agent is gambling his client's future on his own ability to change the way the NFL structures contracts for players.

I wouldn't consider it being Russell crawling back with his tail between his legs if he signed his contract offer before the season started, I'd consider it a smart move.

Seems like a lot of huffing and puffing from Wilson's camp while the Seahawks sit in their brick house. I think Russell will sign before training camp is over for $22 million/season. That is close to what the Seahawks have already offered and would make Russell the same amount as Aaron Rodgers in a per year average.

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":3ofcoxj4 said:
kearly":3ofcoxj4 said:

I don't see where you get that Wilson's agent is good at his job. He has NEVER negotiated an NFL contract. He also has his client buying an insurance policy that will probably cost more than his NFL salary for the season instead of signing a contract that would make his client the third highest paid QB in the NFL. Claiming that he likes the idea of having his client receive the franchise tag is rather baffling because instead of being guaranteed to be the third highest paid QB and having millions in the bank, he is steering his client towards being paid the average of the top 5 at his position for only one year while being exposed to injury for two seasons without a long term deal in place. I bet he won't like it when the Seahawks put the nonexclusive franchise tag on Russell and no other team in the NFL will cater to their demands either. Russell might lose millions of dollars because his agent is a clown.

Russell's agent is gambling his client's future on his own ability to change the way the NFL structures contracts for players.

I wouldn't consider it being Russell crawling back with his tail between his legs if he signed his contract offer before the season started, I'd consider it a smart move.

Seems like a lot of huffing and puffing from Wilson's camp while the Seahawks sit in their brick house. I think Russell will sign before training camp is over for $22 million/season. That is close to what the Seahawks have already offered and would make Russell the same amount as Aaron Rodgers in a per year average.

great but all assumptions as you really do not know what is going on.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":6p57hrwz said:

A few things on this:

1) If all reports are to be believed the Seahawks want Wilson to sign an extension (rather than a new deal), meaning that in terms of next year's money the difference between playing out this year or signing an extension is somewhat trivial.

2) The franchise tag next year would make Wilson the highest paid QB in the NFL next year, and the first QB in NFL history to actually earn more than 20 million dollars in a season. As we all know APY is almost always backloaded with funny money. If Wilson was franchised two years in a row he'd be the first player in NFL history to actually make over 20 million in a year, and the first player in NFL history to actually make over 30 million in a year. Then the Seahawks would be back where they started, except they'd have already given Wilson the equivalent of a 55 million two year extension, while building acrimony into the process.

In essence I sincerely really do disagree with your take on this. The franchise tag means the Seahawks would be paying Wilson as far and away the top paid QB in each year over the next two years, and still not have locked him up. If even financially feasible in the first place, that would be a horrible outcome for them.

I think the thing you're missing is that the franchise tag is based on top 5 APY, but APY isn't a real number. If the franchise tag was based on average of the top 5 for THAT YEAR we'd be having an entirely different conversation.

3) I think you're making a serious assumption, and a flawed one, about 31 other teams and the non-exclusive tag. The Seahawks LIKE to sign their players with a year still left on their deal because they have exclusive negotiating rights. There's not a market in the world for singular objects (e.g. Russell Wilson, a painting, etc.) in which increased demand doesn't drive up price. It violates the most basic of exchange principles. .Even beyond allowing more buyers into the market, there are teams with 1) more cap room and 2) more need than the Seahawks. Letting someone else negotiate Wilson's contract for them is just a horrible idea. There is not a scenario in which that brings the contract level down. It's like suggesting that you could get more money for your car by negotiating exclusively with me than by making me bid against 15 other suitors for your car. It jjust doesn't make any sense.

4) Wilson's agent is smart, or treated as such, because what he's doing isn't business as usualy in the NFL. By forgoing artificially inserted market limitations (the same thing he does in baseball) he's driving the price up, and knows he's safe to do so because the absolute worst case scenario for him is that the Seahawks end up signing Wilson to the equivalent of a two year 55 million dollar extension.

As for Wilson getting injured, it's a risk of course, but all transactions have risks (the risk on other side is taking a deal below what a competitive market would offer and all the money you lose out on with that). Who's the last young QB to have a career ending injury? Wilson has never even missed a game before. If his agent is doing what we think he's doing, it's a smart roll of the dice, and it's the same strategy he has used as a baseball agent to great success.

Polaris

Reaction score
You're assuming Popeye (as I think Wilson's agent is) that the Seahawks will have to use the exclusive franchise tag. If you look at the projected cap spaces of QB-needy teams, you'll find that the Seahawks can almost certainly match any offer any of these other clubs would make....and Wilson would be forced to play for Seattle anyhow. Also the non-exclusive tag is IIRC the top TEN not the top FIVE and that makes a big difference.

No, I think that Wilson is being poorly served by his agent on this. The NFL simply doesn't work like baseball, and it's often *not* to the advantage of the client to make it to free-agency, and this is such a case. Clayton has outlined the numbers on this exceptionally well.

AVL

Reaction score
Sometimes I think they are all idiots, then realize it's me for paying attention to them.

Since no one knows what the contracts really mean until they are released, how can they know wtf?

Either agent Rogers is the Devil or Wilson has been offered an Andy Dalton type contract, pick your poison.

High off season entertainment.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Polaris":3mmbf5e2 said:
You're assuming Popeye (as I think Wilson's agent is) that the Seahawks will have to use the exclusive franchise tag. If you look at the projected cap spaces of QB-needy teams, you'll find that the Seahawks can almost certainly match any offer any of these other clubs would make....and Wilson would be forced to play for Seattle anyhow. Also the non-exclusive tag is IIRC the top TEN not the top FIVE and that makes a big difference.

No, I think that Wilson is being poorly served by his agent on this. The NFL simply doesn't work like baseball, and it's often *not* to the advantage of the client to make it to free-agency, and this is such a case. Clayton has outlined the numbers on this exceptionally well.
Good explanation and I agree that Seattle would use the non-exclusive tag if it comes to that..

Just finished reading an article on Dez Bryant... an agent's take on the leverage that Bryant has... and that is, him not signing his franchise tender and holding out of TC until the team agrees to sign him for one year (at less than the non-exclusive FT number?) with a "prohibition" clause that states that the team is prohibited from franchising him again... effectively making him an UFA the following year... and allowing him to get his true market value from either another team or from Dallas if they elect to step up to the plate (which they would).

In Russell's case, I believe that 4 years/$87M that Clayton is speculating is his true market value and therefore Russell should accept Seattle's offer (again, assuming that Clayton is on the mark).

Losing Wilson to another team is totally unacceptable... yet remains my worst fear.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Polaris":1lyezrmv said:
You're assuming Popeye (as I think Wilson's agent is) that the Seahawks will have to use the exclusive franchise tag. If you look at the projected cap spaces of QB-needy teams, you'll find that the Seahawks can almost certainly match any offer any of these other clubs would make....and Wilson would be forced to play for Seattle anyhow.

I touched on this above, but it was a long post. You're essentially suggesting that it's in the Seahawks' best interest to let a needier team negotiate Wilson's contract for them. That simply doesn't make any sense. Remember for that team (or those teams) to negotiate AT ALL their goal is to bleed the Seahawks past the point of death so that they don't actually match, or they wouldn't be negotiating in the first place. If the Hawks actually want to keep Wilson best case scenario in this is that those other teams can only take them to the brink of death without killing them.

The only way what you're saying makes any sense is if in an artificially restricted market the Seahawks are willing to pay Russell Wilson more than 31 other teams are willing to pay him in an open market in which they're competing. If that's true that means BOTH Wilson's agent is an idiot AND the Seahawks are idiots. I don't think either of them are likely idiots.

Also the non-exclusive tag is IIRC the top TEN not the top FIVE and that makes a big difference.

Not really. The difference between the fifth highest APY QB and the 10 highest APY QB is $2 million APY. You're talking about 1-1.5 million. To penny pinch that amount you're basically asking multiple other teams to try to bleed you to death on Wilson's contract. Unless you're really in it for the picks, it just doesn't make any sense.

If you're referring to what I think you're referring, there's a very straightforward statistical flaw to Clayton's argument, which is that contract value and making it to free agency are unequivocally not independent events, and instead, are both conditioned on talent/worth. It's a simple mistake that people make, but it's a very, very serious one.

To translate that back to english ( ;) ): You know how every year when you look at the upcoming free agent list there's a ton of absolutely amazing players but by the time you get to free agency almost the whole top of the market has disappeared and been resigned by their teams?

That's Clayton's mistake, and precisely why you can't compare what players who don't make it to free agency make compared to what players who do make it to free agency make (i.e. the really good ones almost never make it to free agency!).

It's just very rare for top 10 players at their position to make it to free agency. I mean, try telling Ndamukong Suh or Darrelle Revis that they would have been financially better off NOT being FAs and NOT having multiple teams competing (and their new teams wiiiiildly overpaying) for their services.

Put another way, the Seahawks try to keep their best players from free agency because they're smart, not because they're stupid.

Polaris

Reaction score
With all due respect Popeye, I think I trust Clayton's analysis a lot more than yours. That's especially true when you consider that Wilson will NOT hit unrestricted free agency and the only way your argument really applies is with unrestricted free agency. Remember that the needier teams would have to lose TWO first round draft picks to get Wilson and that's assuming that the Seahawks wouldn't match (which they would).

I am not saying that this is the ideal way to negotiate (it's not), but top QBs haven't tried to get more money this way for a reason. From what I am hearing, Rodgers is essentially asking for the moon because he's thinking like a baseball agent, and the NFL simply doesn't work that way and the Seahawks can't be pressured in the same way a MLB club can. In any event the expected costs and cap hits for the 'hawks are well known for the next three years, and if Wilson's agent is demanding more than that, then he needs to get a reality check.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
seedhawk":3czksn17 said:
kearly":3czksn17 said:

RW's agent wants to tap into football, and why not? For him it is an untapped market. What better way to build an instant rep then to use the first football guy you work for and gain him a giant contract?

Conversely, JS has to push back or every agent on the planet representing a Hawk will try to run him over.

While the two big alpha dogs snarl at each other we fans all panic. Eventually, equilibrium in the negotiations will be reached and a deal will get done.
Why? Why should a deal get done? If I'm Russell Wilson I gotta think there are two good reasons NOT to get a deal done. One, they'll have to franchise tag him or let him walk and he'll get paid substantially more if he's tagged and two, why on earth would he want to remain a Seahawk and play behind the crappiest pass blocking oline in the NFL?

It's not good for his long term earning potential.

For Wilson, not playing any longer than he has to behind that oline is a good business decision. Therefore, not getting a deal done with the Hawks is probably his best business decision. He'll make a fortune on the FA market AND end up behind a better oline.

How many of those 16 pages were dedicated to the horrible working conditions RW endures running for his life behind that revolving door of pass blockers?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Polaris":22z7yn6w said:
Clayton has outlined the numbers on this exceptionally well.

I believe Clayton's analysis of the numbers has been consistently wrong. I think Popeye is correct.

Clayton keeps saying that Russell is heading towards 3 years/$69M in franchise money and that this is worse than the 4/$87M on the table from Seattle. This is bad math. Listen to the interview yourself; this is exactly what he says.

First, any person can calculate the APY -- based on Clayton's numbers, which I don't even trust at this point, Russell is actually making more by APY on the 3-year franchise than on the 4-year extension. Do the math yourself.

Second, Clayton says Russell cannot make up the difference in total money between 3/$69M and 4/$87M. That makes no sense. Why are we comparing 3 years vs 4 years?

Look:

If Russell signs an extension:

2015 - $1.5M
2016-2019 - $87M
TOTAL THROUGH 2019: $88.5M

If Russsell plays out his rookie deal and signs a new 4/$100M deal next season:

2015 - $1.5M
2016-2019 - $100M
TOTAL THROUGH 2019: $101.5M

If Russell gets franchise three years and signs a deal in 2019:

2015 - $1.5M
2016-2018 - $69M (3 year franchise estimate)
2019 - $26M (estimate yearly avg for elite QB on non-franchise contract)
TOTAL THROUGH 2019: $96.5M