End of OTA's interview topics and interesting details

jblaze

Reaction score
Today several of the Seahawks and management had interviews to conclude their 1 day of OTA's. Here are some key topics and details revealed that are news:

1. Jesse Williams has a shot to make the team this year. He's been cleared to work out again and he just has to get back into playing shape but could do that during this next 6 week break and could be ready to start participating in training camp.

2. Paul Richardson's recovery is going better than anticipated. He should be able to participate in some way in training camp.

3. Only person who Carroll mentioned that will not be ready for training camp is Jeremy Lane. Sounds like he may start the season on the PUP list.

4. Carroll was asked who stood out in OTA's and he mentioned Jimmy Graham and Tyler Lockett.

5. Christine Michael has been out with a lingering hamstring to UDFA Thomas Rawls has been getting a lot of work and has been impressive. (If you haven't seen the tape on this guy, I suggest you do. Reminds me of a young Lynch)

6. Center Drew Nowak has been getting a lot of 1st team reps on the OL this week and previously. He's also left handed. Sounds like a competition between him and Jean-Pierre so far.

7. Cassius Marsh spent some time at SAM LB today. Pete said it's for flexibilities sake. Interesting.

8. Bennett and Irvin practiced today. Lynch was there but did not practice.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jblaze":1m7nniu9 said:
7. Cassius Marsh spent some time at SAM LB today. Pete said it's for flexibilities sake. Interesting.

This is probably the most interesting development of the eight you have mentioned. Marsh is not close to the athlete that Bruce Irvin is, but he has good size for the position, though his arm length is not great, and many of the fundamentals in the setting the edge at LEO vs. SLB are the same.

Like with Pinkins move to WLB from CB, I think the coaches are trying to develop maximum utility in these players to give them to best chance to contribute if they make the 53-man roster. Carroll actually described Pinkins today as the "most improved guy on the football field" this off-season, saying you won't find a faster OLB in the league.

Utilizing game theory, they need to develop alternatives in the event that injuries occur at the LB position. Who fills in for KPL if he gets hurt again? What if Wright and Irvin are both hurt? Maybe Marsh is forced to play SLB. What happens next year when Irvin likely signs with another team? Does KPL play Will and does Wright move to Sam? What kind of depth does that leave us at OLB?

I could be wrong but my impression is that Marsh is not athletic enough to play the SLB position well, nor strong enough to be a really effective player on the line of scrimmage. However, I think he could be serviceable at multiple positions in the event of injuries. His versatility gives him added value to the team.