Russell #22 / Earl #21 in NFL Top 100

lobohawk

Reaction score
NFL.COM clips

Earl Thomas (#21 of top 100)
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-top100-2015/0ap3000000498559/Top-100-Players-of-2015-No-21-Earl-Thomas

Russell Wilson (#22 of top 100)
Kinda hate that they spent the first quarter of this video talking about the last play in the SB.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-top10.../Top-100-Players-of-2015-No-22-Russell-Wilson

Is Russell Wilson Ranked Too High
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000498778/Is-Russell-Wilson-ranked-too-high-on-Top-100

Toughest Player To Stop On Seahawks
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...aign=nflcom-cs-homepage-videoswap_generic_nfl

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I have a feeling Thomas should have been a few spots higher and Wilson maybe a few lower but overall pretty fair rankings.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Does Andrew Luck belong in the top 20? If not for hype he might not even make the list.

Did I miss something? I don't see a single 9ers player on the list and I can't think of one worthy of being top 20. I wonder how 9ers fans feel about this list? Go Baalke.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3w0azz1n said:
Did I miss something? I don't see a single 9ers player on the list and I can't think of one worthy of being top 20. I wonder how 9ers fans feel about this list? Go Baalke.

Ehh, I don't really care. The guys who would be on the list didn't really play last year (Bowman and Aldon) or really crapped the bed last year (Vernon, or Aldon in this category if you prefer).

FWIW I think strong cases could be made for Staley and Bethea (that Woodson is in the 60s and Bethea's not on there at all is pretty laughable IMO) to have made it, but I don't really care either way, and don't think either of them belong in the top 20.

Agreed with the above poster who thinks Thomas is too low and Wilson too high. I think Bennett is too low too.

Edit: Also worth saying I guess is that I don't think that anyone who retired or left the 9ers in FA belongs on this list either, although if he was still playing I think Willis probably would have made it on name recognition.

Sorry if I don't really care as much as I was supposed to. ;)

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Yes Luck belongs in the top 20....you could almost argue that he was the best QB after Rodgers last season.

Here's the list of QBs that have thrown 40 TDs in a season:

Manning, Brady, Marino, Brees, Rodgers, Stafford, Warner, Luck

That is an elite group of 8 QBs. Stafford is one that was a relative anomaly, but the others are all HOF locks.

I'm guessing we'll look at TD% or passer rating, or how many attempts Luck had. But at the end of the day, in the history of the NFL, these are the only guys that have thrown 40 TDs in a season. I could also argue, if I were so inclined, that Luck potentially had the worst WR/TE group of anyone on this list....not saying he has bad WRs....just the worst of any of QBs in the 40 TD club.

Luck belongs in the top 10 IMO.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
On the flip side, Wilson over Brees and Roethlisberger is a bit surprising to me. Seahawk fans should be very happy with that. Although, can't be good for negotiations...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, Rapes in particular was just really transcendent last year. It's pretty hard to argue against last year not being the best year of his career.

Overall team success -- particularly for the NFL -- tends to factor pretty largely into where indviduals end up being slotted on lists like these.

McGruff

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2czm4id5 said:
Yes Luck belongs in the top 20....you could almost argue that he was the best QB after Rodgers last season.

That is an elite group of 8 QBs. Stafford is one that was a relative anomaly, but the others are all HOF locks.

I'm guessing we'll look at TD% or passer rating, or how many attempts Luck had. But at the end of the day, in the history of the NFL, these are the only guys that have thrown 40 TDs in a season. I could also argue, if I were so inclined, that Luck potentially had the worst WR/TE group of anyone on this list....not saying he has bad WRs....just the worst of any of QBs in the 40 TD club.

At this point, I would put Luck a lot closer to Stafford than I would to Rodgers or Manning. He's been a volume passer. Not particularly efficient, just throws the ball a ton.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
McGruff":2dji0csr said:
Ramfan128":2dji0csr said:

At this point, I would put Luck a lot closer to Stafford than I would to Rodgers or Manning. He's been a volume passer. Not particularly efficient, just throws the ball a ton.

I think he's firmly between the elite group, and the next tier - in a tier all by himself right now.

Rodgers/Brady/Manning/Brees

Luck

Romo/Berger/Rivers/Ryan/Wilson/Newton

I hear the volume passer thing for stats, but I look at the rosters these guys play with and how their teams would fare without their QBs, and Seattle would be the best by far. As an example, take Luck and Wilson away and then switch divisions - the Colts would be firmly last place in the NFC West, while the Hawks would win the AFC South. Heck without Luck the Colts would lose the division to the Texans.

Then it's also the eye test...can't always trust stats because it's dependent on who is around the QB.

OP
OP
L

lobohawk

Reaction score
Rothy actually had a pretty good year and better than Luck and maybe Wilson. If Wilson had played the Colt's schedule, I suspect he would have had close to 4000 yrds passing and 1000 yrds rushing on top of more TDs.

Reaction score
Just one more bargaining chip for his agent. Certainly doesn't help the potential to lowball him.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
RW is a great football player. However, he probably isn't going to win you games with a depleted roster the way TB or AR do.

The seahawks are playing this just like they should.

randomation

Reaction score
HawkNuts":102byfwq said:
RW is a great football player. However, he probably isn't going to win you games with a depleted roster the way TB or AR do.

The seahawks are playing this just like they should.

Have you looked at our line lately? How about when RW is actually loosed off the chain like the Atlanta game which our vaunted D couldn't hold for 30 seconds.

King Dog

Reaction score
JMO, but no way is Wilson better than Brees or Roethlisberger - and I love Russ. I have to go back and look at the game tape, but I remember us hardly being able to complete a pass in the first half of the NFCCG and Super Bowl.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
It's kind of funny to me this whole debate about Wilson. I remember when Hasselbeck was one of the elite QB's in 05 only to lose every receiving weapon, O-line player including coach and running back and yet most seemed to blame Matt for his inability to rise to the challenge. Now were talking about a QB that has exceeded by any possible measure, any realistic expectations you could set on him and done it with a D level receiving corp and O-line that is among the worst in the league.

I'm not even a Wilson fan but holy bejesus what the hell does he have to do to earn your respect. The man has been to two super bowls in his first three years and put his team in position to have it potentially have been there every single year he has QB'd. Do you really think any other QB could have won the games Wilson has to keep us on track for the #1 seed even with the pressure he has had and the receiving corp he's been blessed with? All while playing in the NFC West keep in mind.

For those who think Wilson couldn't excel in other offenses take a look at what he has done when the chains have been pulled off. He is not just undefeated in OT he is perfect. Every single time he has been in O/T he has drove down the field and put up a TD. Every single time. When we have needed him most he has put the team on his back and been insane. Look at the Chicago game his rookie year or the Atlanta playoff game the same year. The guy is insanely calm, focused and driven and the biggest thing holding him back is our system, not his height,

Clutch. That is the one single word I think of when I think of Wilson, just like Montana. The guy has a different gear when he needs to and that is special. If you don't see that then I question your understanding of what he is being asked to do or even what other QB's have been able to accomplish.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
ET is ranked too low, and they say that there's another safety ranked ahead of him which is ridiculous. He should be around 10-15 but he doesn't get the credit he should because of all the stars in this defense.

Russell is probably ranked a little too high but he's coming off back to back Super Bowl appearances so that helps a little bit.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":3s566t87 said:
ET is ranked too low, and they say that there's another safety ranked ahead of him which is ridiculous.

Who? That seems highly unlikely. All the best safeties have already been placed much lower than Earl.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
hawknation2015":26h9oawm said:
HAWKAMANIA":26h9oawm said:
ET is ranked too low, and they say that there's another safety ranked ahead of him which is ridiculous.

Who? That seems highly unlikely. All the best safeties have already been placed much lower than Earl.
Just going off what I've sen on facebook.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
RichNhansom":3q79630h said:
It's kind of funny to me this whole debate about Wilson. I remember when Hasselbeck was one of the elite QB's in 05 only to lose every receiving weapon, O-line player including coach and running back and yet most seemed to blame Matt for his inability to rise to the challenge. Now were talking about a QB that has exceeded by any possible measure, any realistic expectations you could set on him and done it with a D level receiving corp and O-line that is among the worst in the league.

I'm not even a Wilson fan but holy bejesus what the hell does he have to do to earn your respect. The man has been to two super bowls in his first three years and put his team in position to have it potentially have been there every single year he has QB'd. Do you really think any other QB could have won the games Wilson has to keep us on track for the #1 seed even with the pressure he has had and the receiving corp he's been blessed with? All while playing in the NFC West keep in mind.

For those who think Wilson couldn't excel in other offenses take a look at what he has done when the chains have been pulled off. He is not just undefeated in OT he is perfect. Every single time he has been in O/T he has drove down the field and put up a TD. Every single time. When we have needed him most he has put the team on his back and been insane. Look at the Chicago game his rookie year or the Atlanta playoff game the same year. The guy is insanely calm, focused and driven and the biggest thing holding him back is our system, not his height,

Clutch. That is the one single word I think of when I think of Wilson, just like Montana. The guy has a different gear when he needs to and that is special. If you don't see that then I question your understanding of what he is being asked to do or even what other QB's have been able to accomplish.

So, honest question : After stating "I am not even a Wilson fan...", you go on to type a glowing review of his greatness.
So, the question is, WHY are you NOT a fan?