No One Likes Russell Wilson Anymore?

Clayfighter

Reaction score
http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-why-no-one-likes-russell-wilson-anymore.html/?a=viewall

I don't agree 100% with the writer, but I know some people might. I feel like all of this speculation is early as the dude still has a year left on his contract.

I get that Russ is trying to get paid like all the rest, but do any of you feel like he has been disingenuous or just pushing his brand when he portrays himself a certain way with the nice guy stuff and then seems "all about the money"? Is anyone mad at him for dragging out negotiations?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Arod said, "It's not about the money" then signed for the money. Russell has never said it's not about the money. I have no idea where people get the idea that he should play for less than he can negotiate. And then hate him for it? Makes me sick.

EDIT: I posted before reading the article. Is that writer 10? Sheesh. Haters gonna hate.

SC

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
It's not so much that what he's saying and doing is wrong, it's that it runs counter to the persona he's crafted over the last 3 years. He wants to have his cake and eat it too

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Media never liked Wilson. They've attached their tongues to Andrew Lucks balls.

StoneCold

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2jsftfcy said:
It's not so much that what he's saying and doing is wrong, it's that it runs counter to the persona he's crafted over the last 3 years. He wants to have his cake and eat it too

It only runs counter if you believe the spin that Russell wants to be paid an amount that will destroy the Hawks. What if that's only BS the media is churning out? Hmmm.

SC

Crizilla

Reaction score
What I don't get is in person he acts like money doesn't matter but other sports sites and reporters are saying he wants to be the highest paid player. Are these sites legit? What Russell is saying just doesn't match what's being reported. He literally just said on SC that he would play for 1.5 million

Give him a nice contract but dont write him a blank check.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I call BS on the whole article. The problem is that it's the dominating storyline for the worst part of the offseason and everyone (Hawk fans and otherwise) are tired of hearing all the posturing and ready for some REAL FOOTBALL. Personally, I'm more irked with the Mike Bennett storyline than the RW one and, to be honest, whether we like them or not is not going to matter one bit come football season.

Also, I'm sure the percentage of people who like RW is likely higher than:
The percent of people who think 911 was an inside job
The approval rating of congress
The approval rating of the president (AND)
The percent of people who support legalizing marijuana

Why are we still talking about this?

Can football start now?

StoneCold

Reaction score
What is Russell all about?

Competing. He will always give 100%.

Competing. He will work harder than anyone else at whatever he does.

Competing. He has never said he's about anything else.

SC

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Guys I don't know what to tell you, if you expect the contract negotiations to be black and white and in public you're going to be disappointing. The media is inferring based on previous experiences, context and comments made by RW and the Seahawks.

If RW was willing to accept a reasonable contract this would be done already, it's a fairly large distraction no matter what RW says (but how do I know this you make ask? again inference). His agent has confirmed that RW wants to be the highest payed player in the league (but wait everyone wants to be, that doesn't matter! well he hasn't accepted a contract to be less than the highest paid player yet...)

iigakusei

Reaction score
How many people here dislike Walter Jones for holding out every year? (exaggeration I know).
This will all be forgotten when RW is a Seahawk for life and wins another couple SB's.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Business is business. It shouldn't impact anyone's perception of him as a player or citizen.

OP
OP
Clayfighter

Clayfighter

Reaction score
TheRealDTM said:
If RW was willing to accept a reasonable contract this would be done already

I agree with this.

"Business is business. It shouldn't impact anyone's perception of him as a player or citizen."

I also agree with this.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
StoneCold":3a1a6iw7 said:

SC
And why shouldn't he compete for the best contract? He's being himself.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Definitely a click bait headline, but there are some truth's to what the author is discussing.

Russell's gone from a rootable underdog, to someone who many perceive to be delusional in thinking he deserves to be the highest paid QB in the league...........which for fans equates to him thinking he IS the best QB in the league.

Throw in a very cliche'd robot speaking half annoying with all the jesus talk polished media persona........and voila, you've got this sort of article.

Personally all I care about is what Russell does on the field, and all the dude does clutch and win.

StoneCold

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1svdmq3n said:
StoneCold":1svdmq3n said:

SC
And why shouldn't he compete for the best contract? He's being himself.

Exactly my point. GO RUSSELL!

SC

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RW has gone on record saying he would like to own a team someday, which takes a LOT of money. People are then surprised that he wants a large contract with most of it guaranteed, weird.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
If his aspirations are to be the highest paid player ever then it might be a difficult road back to the sb
If it weren't we would probably already have him extended bcuz he's that good
Thinking about all the monster lineman we could get to keep Tjack from having to scramble could be a scenario that have many wishing it could be , understandably (is that even a word)
I'm pretty sure that Paul , Pete and John aren't about to let one player , no matter who , change the course we are on.
The question is a chicken or the egg scenario with both sides having a valid argument.
My mind is still stuck on the fence on weather to pay him or tag him and let him go
His production has been as good as any if not the best ever
After Pey pey and Tom got big contracts their teams looked bogged down , so their must be something said for low caps and a great team behind a qb but also vice versa , which leads me right back to my ultimate answer
I trust my patron saints of football
Peter , Paul and John

StoneCold

Reaction score
hawxfreak":28gug0o6 said:
If his aspirations are to be the highest paid player ever then it might be a difficult road back to the sb
If it weren't we would probably already have him extended bcuz he's that good
Thinking about all the monster lineman we could get to keep Tjack from having to scramble could be a scenario that have many wishing it could be , understandably (is that even a word)
I'm pretty sure that Paul , Pete and John aren't about to let one player , no matter who , change the course we are on.
The question is a chicken or the egg scenario with both sides having a valid argument.
My mind is still stuck on the fence on weather to pay him or tag him and let him go
His production has been as good as any if not the best ever
After Pey pey and Tom got big contracts their teams looked bogged down , so their must be something said for low caps and a great team behind a qb but also vice versa , which leads me right back to my ultimate answer
I trust my patron saints of football
Peter , Paul and John

The other side of this coin is, is it true that if they make Russell the highest paid we will never make it to another super bowl? I know the cap considerations have been debated endlessly, but with the multi year contracts we already have in place, the rising cap number I see several more years of the Hawks being very good.

To make him the highest paid is a little less than 23 mil. Would that really be enough to kill our SB chances?

SC

ctrcat

Reaction score
OkieHawk":m9es236k said:
RW has gone on record saying he would like to own a team someday, which takes a LOT of money. People are then surprised that he wants a large contract with most of it guaranteed, weird.

That statement has always been laughable. Who wouldn't want to own a team? Which family of the 32 plans on selling, like, ever? And the amount of money/connections/luck/good fortune has been out of grasp for all but two former players, George Halas and Jerry Richardson, who quit football and made his money in the restaurant business, not football.

If RW truly does become the GOAT and parlays that into becoming king of the PNW AND he's lucky as ****, then maybe there's a snowballs chance in **** of him owning a team. Holding out over even 10s of millions isn't even going to get him into the stratosphere, and in fact is likely costing his bottom line in endorsements/public image. JMO.